Best Components of the Past

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smokva

by smokva

blaugrana wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:26 pm
3T Rotundo. Traditional bend bars did make bikes look a lot classier (and some of us prefer them ergonomically too), it's a shame most of them have been discontinued, and now there are hardly any options with flat aero tops and/or with integrated stem.
If you want traditional bars with flat tops you need to choose belgium shape aka deep bars like:
  • Deda Zero 100 deep
  • ZIPP SL Service Course SL-88
  • Fizik Cyrano Snake
I have all of them on different bikes and they are all for recomendation. Deda is deepest with biggest reach but ramps wont be horizontal, Zipp has most traditional shape and ramps are long and can be set horizontal, Fizik being in the middle in every aspect.
Another traditional handlebar I wanted to try for my touring bike was Velo Orange Grand Crue...looks promissing.

Unfortunately, there is not a single carbon lightweight traditional shape handlebar currently on the market.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

keaton wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 pm
DMT Kyoma shoes (3 velcro straps)

I loved the simple fit of these shoes and wish someone would bring back a modern high end 3 strap shoe.
What about the Giro Prolight or the Bontrager XXX Velcro (the second may be harder to find)?

guyc

by guyc

Spinaci bars!

smokva

by smokva

Thomsone Elite seatpost was THE thing some 20 years ago here...it's still available but don't see anyone getting them anymore. I had one 28.6 mm.

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

smokva wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:25 am
Thomsone Elite seatpost was THE thing some 20 years ago here...it's still available but don't see anyone getting them anymore.
These are still the go to with fixie riders (in the UK at least). Great post with good weight and solid hardware. I used to have one on my roadie until I swapped it out for something lighter and arguably less practical. I still consider swapping back!
Attachments
DF6D66BD-A652-4F1B-81C7-71E050509B2D.jpeg

keaton

by keaton

Tifosiphil wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:13 am
keaton wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 pm
DMT Kyoma shoes (3 velcro straps)

I loved the simple fit of these shoes and wish someone would bring back a modern high end 3 strap shoe.
What about the Giro Prolight or the Bontrager XXX Velcro (the second may be harder to find)?
Not a big fan of the way they do that velcro 'double' strap, making something more complicated than it needs to be + as you wear the shoes the the velcro stretches and hangs off

thanks for the ideas!! :beerchug:

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

unclearv wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:57 pm
raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 pm

2. Klein Quantum. Still one of the best alloy framesets ever made. I lusted after one of these back in the day.
I see people romanticize these bikes but do they really hold up? I have no experience but I imagine a harsh (maybe stiff) aluminum ride that wouldnt be a desireable option by today's standards.

To my knowledge aluminum tubeshapes didnt allow for compliance until recently with hydroform.

They do look amazing.
Very fast, fairly light and very stiff. Of course, they don't perform like a modern carbon frame, but that's not quite the point..,

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

wilwil wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:41 am
raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 pm
1. Record 10sp. Arguably the high point of mechanical groupsets in terms of the feel of shifts. Precise, light, and easy to maintain, as well. I still regret passing up the chance to buy a NOS one shortly before Covid.
2. Klein Quantum. Still one of the best alloy framesets ever made. I lusted after one of these back in the day.
3. Cinelli Alter stem. Weighed a ton iirc but just looked awesome on the right bike.
4. Pre 2010 Pegorettis. They were serious, authentic craftsmanship.
What happened after 2010? Mine is 2011
It's an approximate date. That's kind of the point where (by his own admission) his heart wasn't in it any more and he didn't do that much of the actual work/building. See https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/pego ... rst-review

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Arnomatic wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:20 pm
smokva wrote:
Thomson Elite seatpost was THE thing some 20 years ago here...it's still available but don't see anyone getting them anymore.
These are still the go to with fixie riders (in the UK at least). Great post with good weight and solid hardware. I used to have one on my roadie until I swapped it out for something lighter and arguably less practical. I still consider swapping back!
I had a Thomson Masterpiece once, until it snapped.
A soda can has thicker walls!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

DieselCondor wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:11 am
Vittoria Pave CG tubs-....I'd love to get hold of some of these again. Please make an updated version vittoria with green stripe and all 🙏🏿
auction ends the 3rd:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274555128647?h ... xyIPNTdWwq

or this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274190900610 ... SwdAdhLz0S

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

HammerTime2 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:23 pm
allepunta wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am
around the 80's but not love for Suntour Superbe PRO?
I believe that Suntour Superbe Pro was:

1) The lightest of the major racing groupsets

2) The least durable of the major racing groupsets

3) The best shifting close range (racing) rear derailleur, until Suntour's slant parallelogram patent expired; and that plus other improvements (including indexing which worked well) were incorporated in Dura Ace 7400 (1984). That was the beginning of the end of Suntour's heyday.

The later model brakes with the internal springs were gorgeous.

neeb

by neeb

UpFromOne wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:49 am
Arnomatic wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:20 pm
smokva wrote:
Thomson Elite seatpost was THE thing some 20 years ago here...it's still available but don't see anyone getting them anymore.
I had a Thomson Masterpiece once, until it snapped.
A soda can has thicker walls!
I've had them on several bikes. Recently replaced one on the steel bike with the Thomson Masterpiece carbon seatpost. Looks and weighs the same, but it definitely transmits less road buzz. I don't care what some people say about it all being in the tyres, you can definitely feel a zero-setback alu post in your rear end.. :D

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

No one metioned the Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork yet? That was the ne plus ultra of carbon forks in the early 'aughts, and was the go-to fork for people like Dario Pegoretti and many other custom framebuilders. Wasn't featherweight (I think around 400g, if memory serves), but was light enough and flat-out reliable.

Geoff

by Geoff

SRM PC IV!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com