Eiffel Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Did someone already post this? Thought it was pretty cool...

Link

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Nice find. A full isotruss bike. Pretty neat.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Official cafe stop tester

dvincere

by dvincere

I wonder how it would hold up in the wind tunnel.

bazmac

by bazmac

Geoff wrote:Nice find. A full isotruss bike. Pretty neat.

I can't believe that they did not deck it out with the M5 brakes as they would be a perfect match. Amazing amount of work but still a fair bit heavier than the top shelf frame sets.

Cheers baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devon

by Devon

But why? It's not even vaguely light...

justinn

by justinn

^ maybe stiffer?

Devon

by Devon

True, but can you honestly tell me you, or more regular cyclists, would notice this very slight difference?

Obviously it's a concept, but in the real world it has very little practicality.

neeb

by neeb

It would be interesting to have the stiffness figures - obviously it's moderately heavy for a carbon frame, but let's say it turned out to be 50% stiffer than a standard high-end modern frame. Then perhaps it would be possible to build something similar that was lighter and also as stiff as modern frames.

But I strongly suspect that this isn't the case - different construction methods are better suited to different purposes and different materials, and suspect that this is a very suboptimal construction method for making a carbon bike frame. Presumably it's also suboptimal for making a steel frame, otherwise we would have had micro-trussed bike frames for years instead of ones made out of thin butted tubing.

I'm not an engineer, but I suspect that the reason this doesn't work is that the trusses are on the wrong scale for the application - a bike frame already is a rigid structure made of two open triangles, but by breaking those down into hundreds of smaller triangles you are just adding redundant complexity, which is bound to introduce functional inefficiency.

Looks cool though.

justinn

by justinn

Devon wrote:True, but can you honestly tell me you, or more regular cyclists, would notice this very slight difference?

Obviously it's a concept, but in the real world it has very little practicality.

I have no argument there, but since when has the cycling community, especially one concerned with dropping grams off of the weight of bikes by any means necessary, been concerned about practicality?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com