New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
C36

by C36

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:35 pm
C36 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 pm
Where do you get this? I cut tubular and version 1.0 and they had a protective layer, thin, but it was there (and I have probably 5000km on them riding in the alps over the last 2 years without a puncture, statistical value, zero, but saying it's a TT tire only is incorrect).
That doesn't sound like Corsa Speed.
Corsa Speed is only 1.8mm thick. Cotton alone is already about 0.85mm thick. So, you probably have 1mm thick rubber. Below 0.7mm average you may start to see through rubber in some thin spots from uneven wear (like where you brake and skid a bit). So, you have about 0.3mm thick rubber to use before it become puncture prone. That won't last two years. Maybe even worn within a few weeks if you ride a lot.

Regular Corsa, on the other hand is beefy 2.8mm thick. That extra 1mm rubber on top makes it worn at least 4x longer. Not considering different rubber which is more durable, grippier but doesn't roll as fast.
Thanks for doubting my mileage (unless you understood I got 5000km from a single pair... I wish! :) ) I had to dig a bit in my strava and pictures since I mostly ride GP5000 with latex tubes.
So 5300 km and counting over 3 generation of Corsa Speed.
- Corsa speed 2.0 TLR 1150 km and not yet through it (rough estimate, started with the front 1.0 and then moved to full 2.0 pair)
- Corsa Speed 1.0 TLR 1700 on first pair and 900km on the second, killed rear tire on an emergency brake (a rooster forgot to look before crossing the road)
- Corsa Speed Tubular 1570 km and now as spare tubular.

I will see if I find the picture of the 1.0 and the Tubular that I cut but I have a vivid memory of a puncture protection layer.
Last edited by C36 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yoln

by Yoln

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:08 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:27 am
alanyu wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:01 am
Your point is wrong. Max leaning angle depands on tread width to real width ratio instead of tread coverage which is tread width to casing width ratio, if both forms a similar shape after inflation.
If you're going to tell someone they're wrong, maybe fully read and process what they said first.

To your point: Corsa and Cup shapes are nearly the same, if not identical. When you buy the tire size (whether nominal 25mm in one tire or 28mm in another) that gets you whatever inflated width you want, the same tread:casing ratio will give you the same max lean angle.

Maybe the Cup doesn't have enough tread for crits, but then neither does the Corsa. All I'm saying is, I find it odd that it's such a major topic for this tire when it isn't for the Corsa. Either they both have enough tread or neither does. Since the Corsa has worked fine and Michelin doesn't release products without testing, this "issue" is overblown.
Like I said above, I think comparison with Corsa Speed, which is a TT tyre is misplaced. It's a TT tyre and is inherently compromised. Has no puncture protection at all - just casing and tread.

Michelin is a competitor to Conti GP5000, which is a nice, fast, and puncture resistant race tyre. Narrow tread is an issue in that context because it compromises both puncture protection in some cases, as well as grip when leaning (which is when I want the grip). Some of the time it won't be a problem, and some of the time it will. The question to answer is "why buy this tyre over GP 5000?" lacks a compelling answer. Michelin does not, unfortunately have any other trump cards over Conti.
It is not misplaced.

Corsa speed is the king tire of Criteriums. And those two tyres seem very similar.

The comparison is valid. And the argument that tread width never was an issue in crust for the Corsa Speed and shouldn't be an issue for the Michelin either is valid
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Is this tire available in the US ? Looked for a bit the other day and couldn't find anything online.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

Yoln

by Yoln

Got mine delivered to the east coast via BikeInn
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

teslapilot

by teslapilot

BikeInn price looks excellent!

I'm getting a Farsport Feder wheelset. Does anyone know how big this tire's 25mm & 28mm versions expand to on 19mm internal width rims? Thank you.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

teslapilot wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:20 am
BikeInn price looks excellent!

I'm getting a Farsport Feder wheelset. Does anyone know how big this tire's 25mm & 28mm versions expand to on 19mm internal width rims? Thank you.

The 25s will measure at least 28mm on 19mm rims.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

25mm Classic came out at 27.7mm on 21mm ID Rapdie's at 80psi.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

jcripps

by jcripps

TLR28 Black version just arrived. Weighed in at 283g. Unmounted tread width was a hair over 25mm, full casing width (including beads) 75mm, (excluding beads) 69mm. Like everyone's said - seems narrow, especially compared to the grand prix GT's they're replacing which have a tread width of 35mm in 28c size. Waiting for new wheels to mount them so will be a couple of weeks before I can see how they get on

C36

by C36

This morning, on a 18.5mm ID rim, 27.4mm diameter on a wheel that rode during the week-end inflated @ 6.6 bar (95psi)

Aress

by Aress

I'm really sad i wanted to like those tires
but they have no grip at all

Its borderline dangerous on the wet

jcripps

by jcripps

Aress wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:50 am
I'm really sad i wanted to like those tires

Compared to which tyres? Also grip in cornering or straight line braking (i.e no grip on cornering because of tread width issue)?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The tread has plenty of grip in the dry. Haven’t tested wet and aren’t likely to for months.

Aress

by Aress

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:22 am
The tread has plenty of grip in the dry. Haven’t tested wet and aren’t likely to for months.
in 25 they have less grip than my gp5ks

C36

by C36

Aress wrote:I'm really sad i wanted to like those tires

Did you removed the thin waxy layer that is left after tire manufacturing? It is indeed slippery on the wet.
Last edited by C36 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mathias720

by mathias720

Does anyone know if the non tubeless version is hookless compatible?
i am a wierdo and still running tubes, and sadly got a hookless whellsset. atm. running gp5k s tr but would go for the lighter non tubeless power cup version if it can be ran on hookless rims. else i will have to go for the tubeless 25mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com