Why do De Rosa bikes seem to be underappreciated?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rlanger

by rlanger

I know they don't make the lightest frames, and they lack the distribution of the bigger manufacturers, but damn they make fine bikes.

Here in Japan, they are a popular brand, but I had never even heard of them before I moved here 5 years ago from Canada. Maybe now that they are back in the pro peloton they will get a little more love (although Cofidis and Corona probably won't help them much).

Personally, I absolutely adore my 5-year old Idol. With no real WW parts, it sits at 6.9kg and it rides like an absolute dream. Both stiff and comfy. The BB386 evo pressfit bottom bracket is a monster and it has never creaked once.

Curious to hear the opinion of others.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I love the aesthetic of De Rosa King, Protos, etc. They have a mystique to them and panache that cannot be denied. That said, for me at least, they lose some points by not having a very established history or experience with carbon.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

wheelbuilder wrote:I love the aesthetic of De Rosa King, Protos, etc. They have a mystique to them and panache that cannot be denied. That said, for me at least, they lose some points by not having a very established history or experience with carbon.
Mate of mine loves his super king.. Even got crashed and hit side on by 2 guys.. Survived with just some scratches.. Certainly tough as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

I've come across a couple of de rosas that took big hits and walked away, too. Nice rugged frames it'd be a pleasure to own. I had a pinarello back when the frames were metal, and you could get yours resprayed / repaired by pinarello in-house. De Rosa strike me as still having that kind of philosophy. I'd love a nuevo classico...but getting one in NZ however...

rlanger

by rlanger

sychen wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:13 am
wheelbuilder wrote:I love the aesthetic of De Rosa King, Protos, etc. They have a mystique to them and panache that cannot be denied. That said, for me at least, they lose some points by not having a very established history or experience with carbon.
Mate of mine loves his super king.. Even got crashed and hit side on by 2 guys.. Survived with just some scratches.. Certainly tough as well.

Yes, I can believe that. I've only taken one tumble on mine and it survived relatively unscathed. Just a few scratches here and there.

rlanger

by rlanger

patchsurfer wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 am
I'd love a nuevo classico...but getting one in NZ however...
That's funny. I live in Japan where you can get them anywhere, but I got mine from an online store in NZ for about a third the price of what they go for here.

sychen

by sychen

For awhile I was seeing super cheap knock off DeRosas which probably did harm to their sales.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

rlanger wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 am
patchsurfer wrote:
That's funny. I live in Japan where you can get them anywhere, but I got mine from an online store in NZ for about a third the price of what they go for here.
Which online store?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

rlanger

by rlanger

Squashednuts wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:32 am
rlanger wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 am
patchsurfer wrote:
Which online store?
It was this one:

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/

They don't seem to carry De Rosa anymore.

I bought the last frame that just happened to be in my size. They don't ship to Japan, but I was lucky enough to have a contact there who received and shipped it for me.

LewisK

by LewisK

Yep, i'm a fan. Heavily underrated IMO. I have to say, the paint scheme on the Cofidis bikes this year is stunning!

NickJHP

by NickJHP

My wife still rides her lugged SLX DeRosa that she bought in the late 1980s. She also has a couple of CF road bikes that are much lighter - neither of them a DeRosa - but she reckons that the DeRosa is definitely the nicest to ride. I tend to agree with her - every time I get on one of my lugged steel bikes after a week or two on a CF or aluminium frame machine, my first thought as I roll down the road is how nice the road feel is compared to the other machines.

hannawald

by hannawald

I wanted Pinninfarina SK, but then I saw they use proprietary seatpost with some extreme offset, maybe 25mm or 30mm.

Ringo

by Ringo

If I crashed my bike right now and I had only 1500€ I would buy one right now since they sell them with heavy discount. That’s a really good price for a superbike frameset.
I saw sk Pininfarina disc, almost at 1500€ a month ago on EU store!
If had 5000€ gift card though it will never be in my top 10 brands. I don’t like the design, there are no any signs of innovation or uniqueness and the heart logo is cheesy..
Basso is more underappreciated and has really good bikes imho
Last edited by Ringo on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
XXTi
C60

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

DeRosa are just Chinese cookie cutter bikes with a now ugly decal. I think they are also all "dork discs" too. Nothing to appreciate.

kgt

by kgt

The decal is not ugly and the 2020 De Rosa are among the most beautiful contemporry frames. Everyone that appreciates nice design will certainly appreciate their beauty.
And I am not a 'Chinese cookie butter' fan but 95% of manufacturers are outsource their production in China nowadays.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com