Let's chat about descending and handling

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Flasher

by Flasher

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:18 pm
silvalis wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:21 am
Lol. what is going on in here.
Sorry, I misused this forum.
There's a large minority of pathetic keyboard warriors with tiny egos. Therefore you can ONLY start a post asking for help or advice, to massage the egos of these pathetic idiots. All they'll say is 'this is the best one ever, it's the one I've got'. So you have to sift through their written down mouth farts to find someone that actually knows what they're talking about. I'd take it personally but I've seen them shred the opinions of very well informed well meaning nice posters.

They have a percieved herd mentality of what's 'right' or 'wrong'. Most of this is cut and pasted from other websites and totally out of date. Like 'but Sheldon Brown said .....'
No original thinking or discussion is allowed, no irrelevant side point is too small of an infraction on which to slice the Aorta. Walking internet cancer and a waste of oxygen.

But hey-ho the weather is nice and I'll be riding tomorrow. :thumbup:
If you think you're correct argue the point, other forum members aren't here to support whatever your thoughts are, deleting your posts and running off suggest to me that you can't support your own ideas!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Flasher wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:18 pm
silvalis wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:21 am
Lol. what is going on in here.
Sorry, I misused this forum.
There's a large minority of pathetic keyboard warriors with tiny egos. Therefore you can ONLY start a post asking for help or advice, to massage the egos of these pathetic idiots. All they'll say is 'this is the best one ever, it's the one I've got'. So you have to sift through their written down mouth farts to find someone that actually knows what they're talking about. I'd take it personally but I've seen them shred the opinions of very well informed well meaning nice posters.

They have a percieved herd mentality of what's 'right' or 'wrong'. Most of this is cut and pasted from other websites and totally out of date. Like 'but Sheldon Brown said .....'
No original thinking or discussion is allowed, no irrelevant side point is too small of an infraction on which to slice the Aorta. Walking internet cancer and a waste of oxygen.

But hey-ho the weather is nice and I'll be riding tomorrow. :thumbup:
If you think you're correct argue the point, other forum members aren't here to support whatever your thoughts are, deleting your posts and running off suggest to me that you can't support your own ideas!
There's constructive critiscism done with respect, and healthy debate and discussion. Then there's just plain attacking someone because you're a total douche. they can't get their head around the concept of 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated yourself'. Maybe they are psychopaths or sociopaths.
I just can't be arsed. Life's too short.

silvalis

by silvalis

Reading the quoted bits, I feel like you've run away...
Chasse patate

Lewn777

by Lewn777

silvalis wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:09 pm
Reading the quoted bits, I feel like you've run away...
Think whatever you like.
The problem with web forums are that they should be like Youtube. The OP should be able to delete moronic, unhelpful and spiteful posts. As it is we have to rely on moderators who really do little, but sometimes can be overzealous. Someone posts bs and you're stuck with it like a giant turd in the thread.

Then the only option is to live with the crap or delete the whole thread.

mattr

by mattr

Well, equating 17/19" mtb frames with XXS and XS road frames was really asking for it. Almost like you don't understand bike sizing.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:45 pm
they can't get their head around the concept of 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated yourself'.
Well, you're clearly leading by example there eh? :roll:

Look, you said you wanted to start a discussion, not give a lecture. In any discussion, you have to be prepared to accept people disagreeing with you. For whatever reason it appears you're incapable of doing that right now - but that's something you need to figure out about yourself, not something you need to blame other people for.

I mean come on - MTBs smaller than road bikes? You can't possibly still think you're right about that can you? So why not just admit fault and move on instead of having a screaming meltdown?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

All I said was “fast in, fast out,” lol. Like you Lewn777, I used to think it was proper do all your braking before turning into the corner, until someone corrected me. At that moment I realized my "sloppy" cornering was actually a proper technique.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barking

by Barking

This thread is awesome! dont stop!

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:20 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:45 pm
they can't get their head around the concept of 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated yourself'.
Well, you're clearly leading by example there eh? :roll:

Look, you said you wanted to start a discussion, not give a lecture. In any discussion, you have to be prepared to accept people disagreeing with you. For whatever reason it appears you're incapable of doing that right now - but that's something you need to figure out about yourself, not something you need to blame other people for.

I mean come on - MTBs smaller than road bikes? You can't possibly still think you're right about that can you? So why not just admit fault and move on instead of having a screaming meltdown?
It wasn't even the point was it?
It was a perception that people have, not even a fact or my opinion.
It was a side point literally irrelevant to the discussion which was supposed to be about handling and cornering not some stupid side crap that you wouldn't have shut up about for pages. Something you just had to latch on to lay down a fat turd in the thread.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm
All I said was “fast in, fast out,” lol. Like you Lewn777, I used to think it was proper do all your braking before turning into the corner, until someone corrected me. At that moment I realized my "sloppy" cornering was actually a proper technique.
A grumpy stupid American engineer said in years ago to annoy people. Fast in fast out is total nonsenese. Braking past the apex, complete tripe.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 pm
Of course its not a fact, but it absolutely was presented as your opinion.
It was a side point literally irrelevant to the discussion.
And yet you devoted a whole section of your OP to it, and it was the basis of your first piece of advice. How is anyone else supposed to know which bits of advice you offer that you consider relevant and which bits you don't? Here's a tip; if you don't want to talk about irrelevant stuff, don't talk about irrelevant stuff.
But anyway you're still totally wrong MTBs are smaller.
In what way are they smaller?
Some DH bikes are bigger in measurable TT, but that's only because they have such slack seat tubes.
I quoted reach numbers earlier. Please, explain how reach numbers are affected by STA :lol:

Even then, ummm, na. The Scott Gamber geo chart has an effective STA for measuring purposes of 73.7 vs 73.6 for the Addict, and the Gambler TT is still 45mm longer. The Spesh Demo and Venge both have 74 degree STAs, and the Demo is still 46mm longer in the TT. The top tubes measure longer because the bikes are longer. Way, way longer.
Clueless thread ruining twat.
No kidding. :roll:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
A grumpy stupid American engineer said in years ago to annoy people. Fast in fast out is total nonsenese. Braking past the apex, complete tripe.

0k. So why should I take your word for it over an engineer who has actually written books on the subject, worked in the bike industry and helped develop bicycle tires?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:15 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 pm
Of course its not a fact, but it absolutely was presented as your opinion.
It was a side point literally irrelevant to the discussion.
And yet you devoted a whole section of your OP to it, and it was the basis of your first piece of advice. How is anyone else supposed to know which bits of advice you offer that you consider relevant and which bits you don't? Here's a tip; if you don't want to talk about irrelevant stuff, don't talk about irrelevant stuff.
But anyway you're still totally wrong MTBs are smaller.
In what way are they smaller?
Some DH bikes are bigger in measurable TT, but that's only because they have such slack seat tubes.
I quoted reach numbers earlier. Please, explain how reach numbers are affected by STA :lol:

Even then, ummm, na. The Scott Gamber geo chart has an effective STA for measuring purposes of 73.7 vs 73.6 for the Addict, and the Gambler TT is still 45mm longer. The Spesh Demo and Venge both have 74 degree STAs, and the Demo is still 46mm longer in the TT. The top tubes measure longer because the bikes are longer. Way, way longer.
Clueless thread ruining twat.
No kidding. :roll:
You can't shut up about it. Nothing it seems can ever prove you wrong.

Scott Gambler, slow handclap you can use Google, woopie. My god do you even have eyes? I was watching the DH from Leogang yesterday and even the riders on 29ers are nearly bashing their knees on the bars when they were pedalling around sat down in the finish area. The geo is clearly different and not comparable other than in numbers it appears the MTBs might be bigger, but in real life it's not the case.

Get out in the real world and get off the internet.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:16 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

0k. So why should I take your word for it over an engineer who has actually written books on the subject, worked in the bike industry and helped develop bicycle tires?
One one hand we have a grumpy engineer who died years ago. On the other side we have every motorcycle and car racer ever. Who could be right on weight of evidence? :D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Oh man, playing the "Google" card.

Stop contradicting yourself. Moto riders and race car drivers trail brake up to and sometimes even slightly through the apex. It depends on whether the corner has a variable radius / multiple foci / etc.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com