S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Darceking wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am
Byskov wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:12 pm
Darceking wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:51 pm
Got my White/Silver Venge with AXS last night. First ride today. Weighed in at 7.34kg with mount, 1 Cage and no wahoo. 58cm
Hey,

can I ask for your measurements? Im looking to buy a Venge without the possibility to try it first (Crazy demand) and I think I'm between a 56 and a 58. I'm 183 cm.
Hey mate - I am 191cm My brother is 183cm and he went a 56cm venge and has been riding 58cm bikes for the last few years, he said he wouldk never go back to 58cm again.
56cm sounds right for a 183cm height. But that said, body proportions matter. For example, I'm 177cm and ride a 54cm venge with stock 100mm stem. I have long legs (88cm inseam) and a short torso. So a 56cm would be too reach-y for me. The 54cm with spacers works well (saddle drop is 11cm).

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Actually really wanted a Tarmac Disc, but due to abyssmal stock for them in size 52, anything left over was not in the color I like. Ended up ordering a Venge Pro because of that. Hopefully I don't regret this decision. Going to replaced the Force AXS on it with Red AXS, can't wait until it arrives.

Concerning the stack height, with the bearing cover being integrated now, does it measure up to the top of the cover, or traditionally at the top of the head tube?

Not a big fan of the CL 50 that comes with it, looking to replace that. Not sure what what to get. Any suggesions for wheels, hubs, rims, etc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

MNX1024 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Actually really wanted a Tarmac Disc, but due to abyssmal stock for them in size 52, anything left over was not in the color I like. Ended up ordering a Venge Pro because of that. Hopefully I don't regret this decision. Going to replaced the Force AXS on it with Red AXS, can't wait until it arrives.

Concerning the stack height, with the bearing cover being integrated now, does it measure up to the top of the cover, or traditionally at the top of the head tube?

Not a big fan of the CL 50 that comes with it, looking to replace that. Not sure what what to get. Any suggesions for wheels, hubs, rims, etc?
Industry Nine?

blehargh

by blehargh

MNX1024 wrote:

Stack goes to the top of the head tube. You can scroll up a bit but, the stack of the venge + the venge spacers = tarmac stack.

Wheels - Enve 5.6?

Henryexige

by Henryexige

MNX1024 wrote:Actually really wanted a Tarmac Disc, but due to abyssmal stock for them in size 52, anything left over was not in the color I like. Ended up ordering a Venge Pro because of that. Hopefully I don't regret this decision. Going to replaced the Force AXS on it with Red AXS, can't wait until it arrives.

Honestly the performance difference between force axs n red axs is negligible. Probably weight difference. I’ll put my money on a better wheelset rather than a lighter groupset. CLX 50 disc would be ideal if wanna ride all rounder terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcorn

by dcorn

MNX1024 wrote:

Uh, why didn't you just get the S-works Venge if you're upgrading both the groupset and the wheels? Yeah its a lot more money, but you'll be spending a ton on those upgrades.

What's wrong with the CL50 wheels? DT350 hubs and wide/tubeless rims aren't baller enough?

MNX1024

by MNX1024

blehargh wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Stack goes to the top of the head tube. You can scroll up a bit but, the stack of the venge + the venge spacers = tarmac stack.

Wheels - Enve 5.6?
Thanks, good to know.
Henryexige wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Honestly the performance difference between force axs n red axs is negligible. Probably weight difference. I’ll put my money on a better wheelset rather than a lighter groupset. CLX 50 disc would be ideal if wanna ride all rounder terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are in weight weenie, right? :wink:

I agree with the performance difference, but got a deal that I could not pass up. Plus the fact that the Venger is going to be heavier than the Tarmac. So, went with the upgrade. The only thing I don't like is the powermeter though.....it's attached to the chainring, so I can't exactly change my chainring without getting another power meter. The only other option I have, and would consider, is the Garmin Vector 3. Though, the horror stories I've been hearing about it, decided against it.

Been eyeing the All Road 50 from November. Their lightest option seems to be Industry 9, but wondering if there's any other lighter hub option that doesn't take much from the robustness of the hub itself.
dcorn wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Uh, why didn't you just get the S-works Venge if you're upgrading both the groupset and the wheels? Yeah its a lot more money, but you'll be spending a ton on those upgrades.

What's wrong with the CL50 wheels? DT350 hubs and wide/tubeless rims aren't baller enough?
Purely due to color. Don't like the color on any of the S-Works version. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'm making sure I like it. The fact that the Pro is the same frame as the S-Works, didn't really matter. Got a great deal with the bike as well. I could've gotten it built exactly like the S-Works AXS for the same price, but didn't want the CLX50 wheels. Ended up keeping the CL50 because this is my first disc frame, and I have no disc wheel. As for my dislike for it is that the front wheel is only 21 spoke, and not bladed. Probably would've stuck with it if the spokes were bladed.

andreas

by andreas

Will the Roval Disc wheels with only 21 spokes in the front wheel stay true for riders at 80+ kg? It worries me that many other big brand names seem to choose 24 spokes instead for disc (Mavic, DT Swiss, Enve, Zipp ++)

Bigmac

by Bigmac

I'm a lardie 84kgs and have used CLX 50's and 64's for the past 2 years and no problems whatsoever!

Tarmacian

by Tarmacian

anykarthik wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 pm
Darceking wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am
Byskov wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:12 pm
Darceking wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:51 pm
Got my White/Silver Venge with AXS last night. First ride today. Weighed in at 7.34kg with mount, 1 Cage and no wahoo. 58cm

Hey,

can I ask for your measurements? Im looking to buy a Venge without the possibility to try it first (Crazy demand) and I think I'm between a 56 and a 58. I'm 183 cm.
Hey mate - I am 191cm My brother is 183cm and he went a 56cm venge and has been riding 58cm bikes for the last few years, he said he wouldk never go back to 58cm again.
56cm sounds right for a 183cm height. But that said, body proportions matter. For example, I'm 177cm and ride a 54cm venge with stock 100mm stem. I have long legs (88cm inseam) and a short torso. So a 56cm would be too reach-y for me. The 54cm with spacers works well (saddle drop is 11cm).
I’m 184cm and was advised a 58 in my Specialized Concept Store. Problem is the longer reach. I ride a 56 SL5 with 3 spacers and 10cm stem. My drop is 115mm and saddle height 795mm.

Because lack of flexibility it would be nice to sit a bit more upright. Maybe a 56 with al the spacers in place would be an option. Anyone knows the total stack height of a 56 with al the spacers under the stem?

andreas

by andreas

Bigmac wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 pm
I'm a lardie 84kgs and have used CLX 50's and 64's for the past 2 years and no problems whatsoever!
Thanks, what kind of terrain do you ride? Mountains, rolling hills, flat? I usually do 70km-100km vertical descent per year, including some races with several steep descents from 1000m+ mountains. From what I gather the rounded spokes on the CL models are stronger/stiffer than the vertical ones on the CLX models?

blehargh

by blehargh

andreas wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 pm
Bigmac wrote:
Thanks, what kind of terrain do you ride? Mountains, rolling hills, flat? I usually do 70km-100km vertical descent per year, including some races with several steep descents from 1000m+ mountains. From what I gather the rounded spokes on the CL models are stronger/stiffer than the vertical ones on the CLX models?
I don' t know which one is "stronger", but the true answer you're looking for is - they are both strong enough.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

blehargh wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 pm
andreas wrote:
Bigmac wrote:
I don' t know which one is "stronger", but the true answer you're looking for is - they are both strong enough.
Most of my riding is fairly flat, at 84kgs i'm no mountain goat! I use CLX 64 and CLX 50, I had a pair of CL 50 but preferred the aero spokes on the CLX's - probably little difference, the round spokes are possibly more durable but my head says there are marginal gains with the aero spokes and I've convinced myself that I need all the gains I can find, ha-ha! As blehargh says, both are strong enough!

Darceking

by Darceking

I have CL50 on my 2015 S-Works Venge, and they transformed that bike dramatically. They have about 6000kms on them and I race and train on them. On the 2019 S-Works Venge, I have the CLX64 and they are amazing also.

Also, I had a set of 404 NSW on my 2015 Venge, and I actually liked the CL50 better. I am 100kg 6"3 also

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

blehargh wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 pm
andreas wrote:
Bigmac wrote:
This. I rode C24's for a couple of years as my mountain wheel (and that included Italy where the roads are less than smooth...), 16 spokes in the front wheel, 78kg rider and not an issue.