Odds that we see disc brake only bikes go back to having rim offerings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kermark

by Kermark

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 am
Shimano's forecast at the start of calendar 2018 was for the majority of their OEM road brake sales being disc
"Where you check it?Exatcly.I was using a economy calendar 2018 by tradays - https://www.tradays.com/en/download pretty good widget.Or you check regular calendar?
Have a question.I buy MTB with Hydraulic Disk Brake.But,why exactly are brakes reversed on such bikes? And to add up, my mechanic claims that the brakes cannot be switched. Is this true or, am I just being punked?Thanks"nks
Last edited by Kermark on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Kermark wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 pm
Have a question.I buy MTB with Hydraulic Disk Brake.But,why exactly are brakes reversed on such bikes? And to add up, my mechanic claims that the brakes cannot be switched. Is this true or, am I just being punked?Thanks
you've bought a bike from a different market. Some have left front, others have right front.
It's an easy job to switch. Takes me about 10 minutes on a new bike. Or half an hour if they need bleeding. (Older is a used/Older bike, or if i slip!)

I'd look for a proper mechanic if I were you.

Kermark

by Kermark

mattr wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:40 pm
Kermark wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 pm
Have a question.I buy MTB with Hydraulic Disk Brake.But,why exactly are brakes reversed on such bikes? And to add up, my mechanic claims that the brakes cannot be switched. Is this true or, am I just being punked?Thanks
you've bought a bike from a different market. Some have left front, others have right front.
It's an easy job to switch. Takes me about 10 minutes on a new bike. Or half an hour if they need bleeding. (Older is a used/Older bike, or if i slip!)

I'd look for a proper mechanic if I were you.
Thanks for your respond.Your right!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Going back "only" to rim brakes?
With all money invested in disc brakes i guess that will not happen.
Going both rim and disc also cost alot. It required two platforms.
Look at Cervelo as an example, R model which is deemed a classical, comes with both rim and disc.
I guess S model is the modern dito, it only comes with disc.
Basically my guess is that bikes considered classical, will survive longer as rim brake designs.
Question is how long this formats longivity will be talking electronic groupsets?
Again a guess, but mechanical groupsets could be considered classical, so perhaps mechanical groupsets will live longer with rim brakes..?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mendiz

by mendiz

I began road cycling in 1984 with 10 years and I bought road bike with Ultegra STI in 1992, you said a lie, STI was a complete success, only very old riders that they were using Campagnolo said that about STI. They bought Ergo levers before in 1991.
halcyongolf wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 am
One day in the not so distant future, all bikes at the 105/rival/potenza level will likley be disc-brake equiped. The disc brakes will get better, they will improve form their current iterations, they will get lighter and more dependable, and soon very few people will bemoan the loss of rim brakes. If disc brakes don't get better, then the market will change and we'll see a rim resurgence. Will this be the result of the industry illuminati? No....just the trial and error of an industry who doesn't have a crystal ball on all tech development of comsumer trends. Does it suck that the consumer may get screwed in this transiton period? Yup, but over time more people will benefit from better products.

There are and always will be certain advantages to rim brakes. However, if the gap gets smaller, and as the advanatges of disc brakes increase, most people won't care that they aren't able to get rim brakes anymore on a "modern" bike.

If you've been around for long enough you remember the same arguments that are levied against disc brakes on road bikes for countless "innovations" along the way. Index shifting, rapidfire shifters, STI/dual control/ergopower, clipless pedals, carbon wheels, carbon whatever, suspension on MTB, dual suspension on MTB, etc etc etc. are were "innovations" that people vociferously protested for and against over the years. The good ideas stuck and became standard, the bad ones died.

Heck, there have been some on here who have even cited some of the aforementioned products as "good" examples of progress versus the evil bike industry centered push for road disc. I have heard people say things like "STI levers are inherently better than downtube shifters with no drawbacks whereas disc has clear disadvantages such as weight, complexity, rubbing." I find these statements odd as if you were of a certain age you can remember the same arguments leveied against road discs today levied against STI. People complained that STI were too heavy, too complicated, too fragile, not needed.... and they probably were....but all these years later very few people are going back to downtube friction shifters on their #1 bike as this technology matured and allowed the inherent benefits of the design outweigh the drawbacks as the products matured.

D
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It is possible the hose lengths might not be right kermark. That not normally the casebut it might be in your case.

mattr

by mattr

mendiz wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:52 pm
, you said a lie, STI was a complete success, only very old riders that they were using Campagnolo said that about STI. They bought Ergo levers before in 1991.
No it wasn't, STI had lots of niggly issues, riders not finishing races. Until every one caught up on how to install, set up and use.

Or bought new bikes with it installed from scratch.

mendiz

by mendiz

I did 10000 kms per year, never I had any problem, more than 200000 kms, I still use front and rear derailleur and brakes, I changed the shifters. Bad mechanics is not the problema of a group.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:30 am
Matt28NJ wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 am
So I'm a Fred...
No bud, I called you 'FRED' because your forum name is "CAAD8FRED"

You may need to seek medical attention.
others usually go with CAAD8 when calling by name, but ok
you need help, and it is not from here

halcyongolf

by halcyongolf

mattr wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm
mendiz wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:52 pm
, you said a lie, STI was a complete success, only very old riders that they were using Campagnolo said that about STI. They bought Ergo levers before in 1991.
No it wasn't, STI had lots of niggly issues, riders not finishing races. Until every one caught up on how to install, set up and use.

Or bought new bikes with it installed from scratch.
This.

There were teething problems (perhaps not that much), and there were people who complained about them at nasseum much like we are doing today about disc brakes and not just about their functionality, but about their looks, weight, complexity, etc. That it was a total market success, and that the advantages were so clear above downtube shifting is a mark of how quickly the market's (and pros) perceptions of new technology can change when there is a clear advantage. Disc brakes aren't winning the market/pros over as quickly, but according to the "industry" (big bad word), disc brake bike sales are a majority now in 2019, and many insiders predict most rim brake models will be phased out in the coming years. In 30 years, IF disc brake technology is superior and advances quickly, our memories about this phase of tech adoption will be like yours and STI levers. We will believe that it was all rosey and perfect and that everyone 100% of people switched over with open arms and without any issues. IF disc brakes continue to have issues, well then in 5 years we'll be back at rim brakes.

ArtV

by ArtV

After the majority of us have switched to disc brakes, the manufacturers will tell us rim brakes were better all along and sell us brand new rim brake bikes.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You forgot the /sarcasm tag.

spartacus

by spartacus

Seems like discs are here to stay. Guess I gotta retire my old rim brake bikes. Going to look like a total loser riding around not being able to stop.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Re: STI.

STI still devours cable ends like nothing else... Thankfully Di2 exists.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

From what i can recall the wholesale switch from DT to STI took about 3-4 years. That is accounting for learning curve, teething problems, market penetration etc.
Road discs, we are already what 6-8 (?) years into the switch and it still isn't anywhere near as thoroughly done as STI was in 3. To the point now where manufacturer's are simply removing the choice so they can simplify manufacture, supply and inventory.
Even MTB discs only took until everyone's frame/ fork came up for replacement. And once discs were widely available virtually no one asked for a none disc compatible frame, even if they were still using Vs.