Daytime city light recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

Aeo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 am
Lupine Rotlicht
+1

nickf

by nickf

Bontrager Ion 200rt front and flare rt rear never come off my bike for daytime rides. Nice bright daytime flash, Garmin integration, exceptional battery life. Plus the size and weight are next to nothing. Wouldn't use the 200rt as a dedicated nighttime headlight though.

Early morning or rides that go into the evening hours I still use my light in motion Urban 800 headlight.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kervelo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 am
Aeo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 am
Lupine Rotlicht
+1
I'm surprised it took this long to get to the Rotlicht. Fantastic tail light!

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

The Moon Nebula is well priced, has a daytime pulse mode (always on plus a pulse) and Moon make a saddle rail bracket so you don't need to worry about the aero seat post.

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

Thanks for the replies. Lupine looks like they make nice products and I was searching the internet for the Moon Nebula for a price in the US that was comparable to what it sells for in Europe.

However, I just hit the button to buy the Ion/Flare RT set. I hope I don't regret it, but whatever. The small form factor really appeals to me and looks like it should work well. Thank you all for the brainstorm and awesome reccommendations. There are some great options out there that I may look into for my longer rides and for low visibility times.

commendatore

by commendatore

Bontrager. I was never in love with daytime flashers until I passed a cyclist using a bontrager flare r while driving. I flagged him down to find out what light he had, it is truly attention grabbing. Now I don’t ride alone without front and rear flashing lights.

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

commendatore wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:10 am
Bontrager. I was never in love with daytime flashers until I passed a cyclist using a bontrager flare r while driving. I flagged him down to find out what light he had, it is truly attention grabbing. Now I don’t ride alone without front and rear flashing lights.
That's reassuring. I'm glad to hear that! :beerchug:

jones1991

by jones1991

bontrager - flare r
niteflux - red zone 8
exposure - Blaze

sethjs

by sethjs

Riding in SF, many of the roadies have started using daytime lights. I started a few years ago when I came up on a cyclist when in my car on Kings (for those who know it) and truly almost missed him as he was "in a shadow" of a tree.

I've definitely noticed a perceived difference in the amount of space cars tend to give me when I'm running the rear.

Been using the Exposure Trace R on the rear - I've ridden behind it and it's more visible to me than the See.Sense Icon+, which I also have. On the front I use the Exposure Diablo and/or Trace, depending on conditions.

Having come up on lots of cyclists with rear daytime lights and asking those with the brigher lights what they're running, in order of brightness, I'd say it's:

1. Cygolight
2. Dinotte
3. Flare / Trace
4. All else (no one seems to have the Lupines here)

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

The bontrager lights came in today. I like the form factor and the brightness so far. I hope the batteries last as long as they claim. Thanks to everyone that made recommendations or had input to share. I learned about several options and companies that I hadn't been aware of. :beerchug:
Attachments
20190309_144502.jpg
20190309_144413.jpg
20190309_144058(0).jpg

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I am using some Sigma lights (the front one is Booster 200, I don't know the name of the back one- but it is nice and rechargeable). I am using only the back light during the day. Recently a buddy purchased an interesting back light that starts to flash when you brake and it seems like a good idea.

arcatern

by arcatern

I use a lezyne strip drive. Maybe it’s a pro. Either way has a day mode that is hella bright (150lumens or 300 depending on model). Also like the variety of light patterns it has.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

arcatern wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 pm
I use a lezyne strip drive. Maybe it’s a pro. Either way has a day mode that is hella bright (150lumens or 300 depending on model). Also like the variety of light patterns it has.
Same here. Strip Drive has a really nice and strong daylight option. Not a small light but fits well behind the seatpost.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Bumping this thread

Looking for a 2nd set of lights and me thinks the Bontrager 200 Ion is unbeatable for the form factor and power. I have a set on my other bike which I think does an amazing job of keeping me visible on farm lands

I was also looking at the See Sense Ace for all the bells and whistles. People seem to like their products and Im wondering if someones got a real world review of it. Crash detection and theft detection is a major plus (though I heard the crash detection doesnt work well?)

Im at a deadlock between these 2. The price difference for me is $25USD for between the 2, the Bontr ager being the more expensive choice (Id have to get the SeeSense overseas, so potential delays too)

Anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com