Lightest bib shorts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

So I’ve been on the hunt for a pair of Adidas evasus bibs but it’s been months without any luck. Broadening my search but there isn’t any weight data when it comes to kit. I’ve contacted Rapha, LaPassione, and Velocio about their lightweight bib shorts but figure I’d ask here too.

Any thoughts on lightweight bibs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

https://www.q36-5.com/q36-5-shop/men/salopette-vented/ at 138g

Not just light, but supremely comfortable. I have the L1 (160g) as well and can highly recomend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

breezerboy wrote:https://www.q36-5.com/q36-5-shop/men/salopette-vented/ at 138g

Not just light, but supremely comfortable. I have the L1 (160g) as well and can highly recomend.
Great! Will add these to my search list.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

nemeseri

by nemeseri

If weight is important I'd recommend going with skin suits / road suits instead. The combined weight will be much lighter than the bib + jersey combo. The castelli san remo road suit is around 210g, while the tri version is 180g.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

nemeseri wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm
If weight is important I'd recommend going with skin suits / road suits instead. The combined weight will be much lighter than the bib + jersey combo. The castelli san remo road suit is around 210g, while the tri version is 180g.
I have the Castelli San Remo road suit and it's 268gr. I also have suits from Bioracer, Pearl Izumi and Rapha, they're all north of 220gr with the Rapha being the lightest at 224gr. My current lightest set is the Adidas Evasus jersey with Black Sheep Cycling bib shorts at 206gr. The bibs are 144gr so the Q36.5 Salopette Vented is a lighter option.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

nemeseri

by nemeseri

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:18 pm
I have the Castelli San Remo road suit and it's 268gr. I also have suits from Bioracer, Pearl Izumi and Rapha, they're all north of 220gr with the Rapha being the lightest at 224gr. My current lightest set is the Adidas Evasus jersey with Black Sheep Cycling bib shorts at 206gr. The bibs are 144gr so the Q36.5 Salopette Vented is a lighter option.
Interesting! (Once I owned a san remo 3.2, but never weighed it, so I went with the advertised weight). Your adidas + black sheep combo weight is pretty much insane. I wouldn't be able to find anything in my drawer close to this and I weighed most of my jerseys / bibs.

chorus88

by chorus88

nemeseri wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm
I own 2017 & 2018 SanRemo SpeedSuits, small, both are 237 & 236 gms.

OT, my 2018 tan line! :oops:
Attachments
sr50.jpg
17SR-237gm+65.jpg
18SR-236gm+65.jpg
+SR+tanline (10-23-18).jpg
Last edited by chorus88 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Interesting how you also have a tan line above the pockets. The back on these suits is very thin. The bottoms on mine feel weighty when compared to the top. I have this version which weighs more than your '17/'18 models
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Karvalo

by Karvalo

It gets even more complicated than just weighing them - different fabrics hold different amounts of water. Shorts with a high lycra content for example will soak up more sweat rather than wicking and evaporating as quickly as other fabrics. So you might find that two different lightweight shorts are quite similar on the scales when dry, but one gets a lot heavier than the other when you're halfway up a hot climb.

F.e. the Fizik R1 shorts with their non-woven fabric are ridiculously quick drying, though the outer is a bit less comfortable than others because it's less stretchy. How much difference it makes vs more traditional materials is anyone's guess.

chorus88

by chorus88

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 pm
It gets even more complicated than just weighing them - different fabrics hold different amounts of water. Shorts with a high lycra content for example will soak up more sweat rather than wicking and evaporating as quickly as other fabrics. So you might find that two different lightweight shorts are quite similar on the scales when dry, but one gets a lot heavier than the other when you're halfway up a hot climb.

F.e. the Fizik R1 shorts with their non-woven fabric are ridiculously quick drying, though the outer is a bit less comfortable than others because it's less stretchy. How much difference it makes vs more traditional materials is anyone's guess.
Great point.
I'm waiting for Team Sky's uber SpeedSuit, Climbers jersey+Inferno shorts>WOW
Attachments
SR-kwiato65.jpg

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, the water retention part just blew my mind. Never thought of that!!! 💥

The one piece also makes sense. I am Comfortable in road bike clothing... no shame... but there is something about an adult onesie that i have not got past...

I also went weight weenie with my shoes. Did the same with pedals but kind of threw my hands up in the air in the end and got heavy garmin vectra pedals. What frusterated me with the superlight options was that no one included cleat weights, and it was hard info to find...

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Karvalo wrote:It gets even more complicated than just weighing them - different fabrics hold different amounts of water. Shorts with a high lycra content for example will soak up more sweat rather than wicking and evaporating as quickly as other fabrics. So you might find that two different lightweight shorts are quite similar on the scales when dry, but one gets a lot heavier than the other when you're halfway up a hot climb.

I’ve actually considered this but I can’t accurately weigh this as my perspiration during activity will vary and using a 10 minute soak test will yield a skewed result as it may be more or less than the garment will absorb. Then there’s the evaporation factor. I know which one of my garments feel the wettest after a ride so those I’ve not bothered weighing.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

RocketRacing wrote:What frusterated me with the superlight options was that no one included cleat weights, and it was hard info to find...
That’s where your own weightweenie trial and error pays dividends. I’ve made it a point to weigh things as I get my hands on them. At the moment my go to is Look cleats with shimano 9100 hardware for my Favero pedals.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

chorus88

by chorus88

chorus88 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Great point.
I'm waiting for Team Sky's uber SpeedSuit, Climbers jersey+Inferno shorts>WOW
Found it>Froomey Speedsuit! :unbelievable:
Attachments
18Sky Ocean Rescue Froomey Speedsuit -$475(SKYwebsite)1.jpg

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Update: bought a pair of Adidas CD.Zero3 bib shorts from ProBikeKit and it only tipped the scales at 138gr (small) which makes it the lightest I have.

Fit wise, they’re not as good as a Rapha Pro Team but I also didn’t pay as much as I would for Rapha.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com