Training in Thailand?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bianchi

by Bianchi

Hello! I am going on vacation to Thailand in december, and I'm wondering if there is any good training possibilitys around Phuket? I have been in Phuket before and I think there is a lot of traffic. Maby there are some races down there at that time?
Ride on

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Phuket and Thiland in general are absolutly amazing for rockclimbing, and not so much for cycling. The roads aren't that great and if you get to far inland from the water the bugs are terrible. Additionally, the "drivers" in Thiland aren't all that concerned with not hitting you. I putted around on a moped and they will run you off the road if you going to slow. I lived in Puhket, well, near it on the beach for about 6 months 6 years ago and it was great. I went climbing every day and had great food and cheap beer at night. Take you harness and your rock shoes instead of your bike. If you are insistant on cycling, the roads around Bangkok are a little better but not great.

As and aside: buy/bring a good quality waterfilter. Even if your hotel says they filter water, they don't. Take my word on this, unless you see it poured from an unopened (as in the safety seal is not broke) bottle don't drink it. If it comes from a tap, don't drink it. Don't eat anything uncooked (salad for example) as it is usually washed with tap water. A good one from katadine is cheap (about $60 us) and will serve you well on the whole trip. I always had it in my day pack and it was the best thing I brought and I was the only one that didn't get sick.

Starnut

BTW welcome to the board :D
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

Bianchi

by Bianchi

Okay, I see. I'am also intressted in climbing but never had the opportunity to try it on "real". Climbing is defenitely something I will try, a lot of times:) It sounds like I have to leave the bike home now and the bugs doesent sound that nice either:) If, I'am going to take a ride anyway, do you know if there is any good places to rent a bike or so nearby Patong?

But if I buy all the water I drink in bottles( as I have done before) it shouldn't be any problems?

Thanks for the info and your advices!
Ride on