Slope Calculator

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hyde

by Hyde

I know a lot of you probably have a computer on your bike which figures this out for you but I don't like having a computer on my bike if I can help it so I made up this little tool. It is an excel file.
http://www.bluebellyguitars.com/SC.xls

Ok, I updated the file a bit. I still haven't messed with the distance calc but it is now both in Kilometers & Miles. It also has a converter built in for both
Last edited by Hyde on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John979

by John979

Hyde wrote:I know a lot of you probably have a computer on your bike which figures this out for you but I don't like having a computer on my bike if I can help it so I made up this little tool. It is an excel file.

I think your formula has an error. Slope is simply horizontal run divided by vertical gain. Vertical gain is easy to obtain via a Garmin or altimeter. Horizontal run takes a bit more calculation, and is not directly provided by an odometer...
John979

Hyde

by Hyde

I based it on a perfect horizontal plane as opposed to the gain in elevation. I use gmaps pedometer to map out my routes & the data comes directly from there. I figured it would be a bit off depending on how you considered distance. I'm not sure how gmaps tracks mileage. I would assume it is on a flat plane? Maybe someone can correct me here?

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Well, slope is just rise over run in metric, so why not just convert to meters and do elevation gain over horizontal distance. You could also use the distance travelled, possibly, but I cant be bothered working it out :?

John979

by John979

Skillgannon wrote:Well, slope is just rise over run in metric, so why not just convert to meters and do elevation gain over horizontal distance. You could also use the distance travelled, possibly, but I cant be bothered working it out :?

Acutally, the distance travelled is the easy part, as you have this from your trip computer. The horizontal distance is a bit harder. Hint: A^2 + B^2 = C^2.

Nevertheless, the the difference better the "correct" slope measurement and the "easy" slope measurement is small.
Last edited by John979 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
John979

Hyde

by Hyde

what is "^"? Sorry, my math is very rusty...

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Hyde wrote:what is "^"? Sorry, my math is very rusty...

A^2 means A squared --> A * A
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Hyde

by Hyde

Hyde wrote:I know a lot of you probably have a computer on your bike which figures this out for you but I don't like having a computer on my bike if I can help it so I made up this little tool. It is an excel file.

Ok, I updated the file a bit. I still haven't messed with the distance calc but it is now both in Kilometers & Miles. It also has a converter built in for both

Try now. A few more options

John979

by John979

The highest mountain in New York State with a road to the summit is Whiteface Mountain. The vertical gain is 3550 feet and the road distance traveled is 8 miles.

Using the easy method, the slope is 3550/5280/8*100 which equals 8.404%.

By the more difficult method, the horizontal run is equal to (8.0^2 – (3550/8.0)^2)^0.5 which equals 7.972 miles.

Therefore, the road’s actual slope (average) is 3550/5280/7.972*100 which equals 8.434%, a difference of 0.030%, which is not significant.
John979

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com