building a core

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matchstick Man

by Matchstick Man

as an extra to this thread, if you want to look at who are really 'athletes' then check out programmes (in Britain) on the Extreme Channel. Surfers have awesome core muscles from being forced to twist that board using their mid section before paddling back out using their upper-body. It's no coincidence that Kelly Slater and Andy Irons have amazing bodies that most closely represent an 'ideal' alpha male - broad shoulders, slim hips and flat stomach.
Also look at the BMX'ers - Ryan Nyquist, Dave Mirra, Stephen Murray, Jamie Bestwick and Simon Tabron for similar examples of 'ripped' stomachs. If you have to pick up those very heavy BMX's and chuck them about underneath you v quickly whilst doing a 'flare' then you too will have mega-forearms and flat stomach :shock:
Core work can be done on a Swiss ball and if you want to really work it, then try some free weights as well - having to correct yourself on a Swiss Ball whilst trying to do simple arm curls is not that easy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John979

by John979

Matchstick Man wrote:as an extra to this thread, if you want to look at who are really 'athletes' then check out programmes (in Britain) on the Extreme Channel. Surfers have awesome core muscles from being forced to twist that board using their mid section before paddling back out using their upper-body. It's no coincidence that Kelly Slater and Andy Irons have amazing bodies that most closely represent an 'ideal' alpha male - broad shoulders, slim hips and flat stomach.
Also look at the BMX'ers - Ryan Nyquist, Dave Mirra, Stephen Murray, Jamie Bestwick and Simon Tabron for similar examples of 'ripped' stomachs.

Perhaps good for meeting girls (or boys) but this is the proper musclature of a cyclist:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/medical/DV80710

One that would have won this year's TdF.
John979

efahl

by efahl

No, no, no. Here is the perfect cycling physique and a certain future tour winner.

Tippster

by Tippster

FishBulb wrote:A few sessions of pilates a week. If you can't find a pilates class get into some yoga, the extra stretching will be a bonus. Plus in either class the chicks are cute - it's a win-win situation. :wink:

around 9 months ago I did some classes at the local gym which combines yoga, pilates and Tai Chi

at first I laughed off the idea, but its a class full of women, albeit some of them had a fair few "wobbly bits", but also a few nice looking women.

Added bonus being the core strengthening work that came from them.

This thread has sparked me into booking a few more classes and taking it up as a help in getting back to fitness again.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

cwmak

by cwmak

My 2 cents here, i normally combine weight training for my main leg muscles (squats).

I do rock climbing for upper body strength and grip.

Lastly, tkd, tai chi and kick box for overall fitness and strength.

Not sure if this helps but i believe in cross training with other disciplines to further improve your climbing/sprinting/general rididng power and endurance.

Hope this helps.