Stronger Legs

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Ok guys...i found a very informative article about strengthtraining for cyclists.

Its published by the german university in Freiburg by Dr. Lothar heinrich...and Chris Carmicel i think you all know these guys.^^
Target is to gain more maxpower.

So here is how...

1. Find the max weight you can lift.
12 lifts = 69% of the max weight
10 = 75%
8 = 81%
6 = 86%

2. Individuel periodic weight training for specific muscles
a) the learning phase 3-4 series, à 12-15 lifts (60-70% of max weight)
b) the hypertrophy phase, 3 series, à 10 lifts (75% of max weight)
c) maxpower phase, 3 Series, à 3-6 lifts ( 90% of the maxweight)

3. Do the above 3 times a week

4. Do squats and legspresses

5. Directly after the weighttraining 1-2 hours biking with some 8-10sec sprints

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John979

by John979

HäddaFahn wrote:Ok guys...i found a very informative article about strengthtraining for cyclists.

Its published by the german university in Freiburg by Dr. Lothar heinrich...and Chris Carmicel i think you all know these guys.^^

Sorry, I dont' know much about Dr. Lothar heinrich. Regarding Carmichael, there is an old saying "great athletes make their coaches look great."

When Dr. Coyle or Dr. Coggan or Dr. Coyne (I should hope you know at least one of these) publishes a conclusive study stating weight lifting improves cycling performance, I will be convinced. Otherwise, from the shear lack of evidence, and my own personal experience backed by unequivical data, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Do yourself a favor, ditch the weights and start a program of 2X or 3X by 20...
John979

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Dr. Lothar Heinrich is the Doc of the T-Mobile team....and i really dont know any of the guys you mentioned.^^ But that doesnt mean they arent good.

I just know Dr. Andy Pruitt and his book Medical Guide for Cyclists. Extraordinary. His books are a must for every cyclist.

mises

by mises

Personally I think squats and extensions work great for increasing the strength and stability of the knee joint but don't do anything for cycling performance.

What works best in my experience is using down tube shifters. Don't shift nearly as much so you frequently wind up in bigger gears than usual and increase strength at nearly the normal cadence so it is very specific to actual racing. Also helps get used to cadences both higher and lower than what you gravitate to with Ergo/STI.

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Holy Cow,

yesterday i was the first time in the gym and did some squats on a legpress machine. Whaaa the weights are heavy..jesus.
I did 2 real sets with a weight i could press 12-15 times (80kg legpress is 75 degrease up). After i did some upper body workout and then 1h spinning. I road 3h in the morning on the bike so i stood aerob all the time while spinning.

This morning my legs are waisted^^. Good that i took it easy the first time.

okr

by okr

HäddaFahn wrote:Ok guys...i found a very informative article about strengthtraining for cyclists.

Target is to gain more maxpower.

So here is how...

1. Find the max weight you can lift.
12 lifts = 69% of the max weight
10 = 75%
8 = 81%
6 = 86%

2. Individuel periodic weight training for specific muscles
a) the learning phase 3-4 series, à 12-15 lifts (60-70% of max weight)
b) the hypertrophy phase, 3 series, à 10 lifts (75% of max weight)
c) maxpower phase, 3 Series, à 3-6 lifts ( 90% of the maxweight)

3. Do the above 3 times a week

4. Do squats and legspresses

5. Directly after the weighttraining 1-2 hours biking with some 8-10sec sprints

I have tried to locate the publication on the homepage of the university, but didn`t find it. Could you link it or pinpoint where to find it?

okr

by okr

thanks!