could magnesium suplementation improve performance?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Mg bisglycinate apparently is a bit kinder on the body than other types. That's what I was recommended by my gym-dwelling sister.

I'm taking a tablet most days to supposedly aid recovery time. I've upped my mileage on the bike, and am on track to do about 3x as many miles as last year. (About 9 hours a week - am only really now taking it half-seriously tbh.)

Given the changes in mileage and fitness it's hard to gauge the effects, but it certainly doesn't seem to have had any ill-effects.

Subjectively: I find the tablets really big, dry, and hard to swollow - got one down windpipe (lung?) once and coughed it up a very uncomfortable 4 hours later. I found the trick is to take it with coffee! Also the tablets taste horrible!

Cals

by Cals

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm
400mg.

I just started taking it after reading this thread. I do feel I sleep better at night including some crazy dreams. As far as any performance benefits on the bike it’s too early to judge. I suffer from leg cramps on long climbs but I haven’t done any long climbs lately. What I don’t like about it is the pooping part. It turns my poop into the shape of a big ball. It turns my bathroom trips into child-birth exercises Image Is anyone else having the same problem? Perhaps I should cut down my dose but all I have now are 400mg gel capsules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As they say there are many versions of mg, and there is a dose table. We should avoid oxide and go for at least glycinate or asparte, in which is used as ZMA. Am reloading /revisiting mg for my wife's 3rd pregnancy and am stocking back up from iherb.

Just a brief overview
https://www.vitacost.com/blog/vitamins- ... esium.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've just switched from 400mg Mag. oxide to 250mg. Mag. citrate. The lower 250mg dose and the easier-on-the-stomach Mag. citrate is much better!