HRM records HR when I'm not wearing it!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

This might be a stupid question, I'm not sure.

Yesterday I didn't wear my HRM and, instead, put it in my rucksack. To my surprise I saw HR readings on my wahoo bolt. When I got home I had an average of 55bpm and a max of 109.

This causes me to question all the readings I've collected from this HRM. Should I be concerned?
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Dont worry.Just seem ur rouksac have a heart....Just care about it, and everything will be fine :)

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Until several months ago there used to be a bike shop in the buildig where I am living. I would come back from a ride and if I do not turn off the Garmin (520) it would start to detect movement (I presume from other people with garmin sensors on their bikes, althouh I am not sure how, since they are not paired with my device???). Also, guitar pickups would pickup the signal from a HR strap:)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It has become one with your soul. You have arrived. Embrace it. Ohhhmmmmm....
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

HR doping!

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

errr.....thanks guys :lol:
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

mattr

by mattr

Was it touching or wrapped up in anything remotely conductive?
Mine gets "odd" behaviour if i leave it wrapped up in a towel or something, or leave it in a pocket with keys etc.

ms6073

by ms6073

onemanpeloton wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:13 pm
This causes me to question all the readings I've collected from this HRM. Should I be concerned?
Are you using an older analog/non-coded (i.e. not ANT+ or BlueTooth) HR transmitter? If you are using an analog/non-coded HR transmitter, then your Wahoo will not be able to discriminate between you or anyone else in your vicinity with an analog/non-coded HR transmitter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

The HRM was in a pocket in my bag with just a few other things, keys, wallet, phone.

Its a wahoo tickr so it's a new hrm with bluetooth and ant+

I emailed wahoo and they said theyve never experienced this before. I've been advised to do a reset, which I've done, and now I'm going to see if I can replicate the problem.

The issue itself doesn't bother me, as long as it isn't influencing my HR readings when I'm wearing it
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

mattr

by mattr

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:02 am
The HRM was in a pocket in my bag with just a few other things, keys, wallet, phone.
Could have been shorting it out then.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Yeah thats a good suggestion. It gave some fairly realistic numbers though which makes it all the weirder!

Will try and replicate this week and see what's going on
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

sqber

by sqber

You put what where? HRM is Heart Rate Monitor but it seems you mean just the strap with sensor by saying HRM? So you did put the strap and sensor into your bag and kept the Wahoo Bolt running? Or how did you record the heart rate during the time of coming home? If so, there may have been something conductive fooling the heart rate strap/sensor to believe it is an electric field created by your heart. But in that case the heart rate line should be quite hectic with some zero values inbetween.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

sqber wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:46 pm
You put what where? HRM is Heart Rate Monitor but it seems you mean just the strap with sensor by saying HRM? So you did put the strap and sensor into your bag and kept the Wahoo Bolt running? Or how did you record the heart rate during the time of coming home? If so, there may have been something conductive fooling the heart rate strap/sensor to believe it is an electric field created by your heart. But in that case the heart rate line should be quite hectic with some zero values inbetween.
I don't understand the confusion between HRM and "strap with sensor". Everything that I would normally wear on my body was in my bag.

I don't think anything was shorting it out, it gave far too much of a consistent and realistic reading for that to be likely
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL