New Exploro RaceMax

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Js2

by Js2

sigma wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:40 pm
Js2 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 pm
Glad they got rid of the old derailleur hanger design and fix the seat post. On paper the Exploro is really nice, but its really limited in some ways as a do it all bike.

- The dropped chain stay really suck when it comes to running a 2x setup with a small ring. Even with clutch your chain will hit the dropped stays, aka limits your option in terms of chain set. The old Exploro min chainring size was listed as 34, with a max of 50. I was running easton ec90sl 47/32.

- The super beefy tubes really takes up all the space and not practical if you wanna run bottles with even a mini frame bag inside the triangle, I ride a size medium

- The old seatpost can't fit a di2 battery inside, so you would have to relocate it somewhere else, not sure if this is fixed.

New colorway looks much better on this current release.
I really like the red and white colorway but it appears to be unavailable. I am debating this versus the new Diverge or the Open Wide. Might think about a bike packing 3 day trip in the fall where the aero nature of the bike might actually be more of an asset.
Of the 3 choices I would pick the diverge for your criteria, the only caveat is the future shock, not sure how serviceable in the future that is. As with aero, most of it is down your body position and wheels. So maybe a tt bar setup out front and a nice deep-ish wheels with matching width tires.

'm not keen on proprietary seatpost, and the minimum small ring size (thanks to the dropped chainstay) for the 3T and no front derailleur is a no go for me on the open wide.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

am i the only one with a natural aversion to vroomens bikes? 3t, open, cervelo... just all have a very apple-esque vibe about them...i do like the newest S5 though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Most of Vroomen's stuff is genuinely innovative, the original Cervelo R3 was an iconic design which influenced many others, the same with the aero bikes. Same with the OPEN U.P. However there have been times recently when the designs have gone very esoteric for the sake of it and ignored practicality, e.g. low clearances on 3T bikes, ISP on OPEN MIN.D and the enforced 1x on origianl 3T Strada.

I spoke to him an Eurobike a few years ago though and he is a nice guy and clearly loves cycling and frame design.

fourfa

by fourfa

What's ISP?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Intergrated seat post
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Js2

by Js2

maquisard wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:35 am
Most of Vroomen's stuff is genuinely innovative, the original Cervelo R3 was an iconic design which influenced many others, the same with the aero bikes. Same with the OPEN U.P. However there have been times recently when the designs have gone very esoteric for the sake of it and ignored practicality, e.g. low clearances on 3T bikes, ISP on OPEN MIN.D and the enforced 1x on origianl 3T Strada.

I spoke to him an Eurobike a few years ago though and he is a nice guy and clearly loves cycling and frame design.
Agreed, some of his ideas looks really good in theory but not so practical when it comes to real life use. Inevitably customers will become the beta tester :noidea:

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

maquisard wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:35 am

I definitley see the logic in most of what he says but the ISP on the MIN.D makes no sense. It's not bringing anything to the table that you can't get with a regular seatpost and the drawbacks are numerous. Like the 3T Strada I think in a year or two they'll backpedal on it (the MIN.D) and release a regular seatpost version....it's a cool bike.

Miles253

by Miles253

So, do we think 2x is not really practical on this thing? i'm looking to run it most of the time as a bad weather road bike
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

emotive

by emotive

Miles253 wrote:So, do we think 2x is not really practical on this thing? i'm looking to run it most of the time as a bad weather road bike
Chainstay Clearance will be fine, 3T are selling the EXPLORO RACE GRX 2x with a GRX 46/30 fitted.

Miles253

by Miles253

emotive wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:29 am
Miles253 wrote:So, do we think 2x is not really practical on this thing? i'm looking to run it most of the time as a bad weather road bike
Chainstay Clearance will be fine, 3T are selling the EXPLORO RACE GRX 2x with a GRX 46/30 fitted.
Well spotted. Good news for me!
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

AZR3

by AZR3

Just hear back from 3T, if anyone with a first gen Exploro is interested in the Racemax's seat post itll be available in mid-late Sept

Josku

by Josku

emotive wrote:
How about if I want to go to SRAM AXS 2x. Does anyone know if 46/33 will be ok with all tyre combinations?

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Josku wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:31 pm
emotive wrote:
How about if I want to go to SRAM AXS 2x. Does anyone know if 46/33 will be ok with all tyre combinations?
46/33 and 48/35 SRAM AXS will both fit on this bike.

JHeiro

by JHeiro

Finished building mine yesterday. Mostly recycled parts from my road bike projects. Light wheelset & barstem combo contribute to quite low final weight of 7630g. First impressions: stiff, sharp handling, excellent power transfer.

Better images & full ride report in a week or two.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

7.6 is really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com