Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

BRyder

by BRyder

dzl wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:26 pm
BRyder wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:07 am
Can anyone dumbdown an explanation/help for me. My Crux should arrive next week-Rival 1x spec.

1) I want to replace the cranks with a lighter option and powermeter. But the force cranks with power looks to be a similar weight? So is Red the best option, but super expensive.

2)The XPLR red and force cranks seem light but I can't see a pm for the direct Mount xplr range?

3)Also does the Crux require wide cranks? I've seen varing chain lines: 45,47.5, 50mm.

Regards
BRyder
2) You would remove the direct mount chainring and replace with the SRAM AXS power meter spider + separate 1X chainring (which would mount to the power meter spider)

3) That is a complicated question. As far as I know (and from all the info in this thread):
  • - If you are using SRAM 1X cranks, you don't need wide cranks. After all, all complete Crux bikes come with standard width 1X SRAM cranks
    - Others in this thread have run other 1X cranks with normal spacing (like the Easton EC90 cranks) without problem
    - If you want to run 2X crankset, the clearance issue has to do more with the chainring bolts than the chainring teeth....
    • It appears normal RED 2X cranks with integrated rings has "enough" clearance since they don't use chainring bolts
          If you are using Force 2X cranks (with power meter or without), I would recommend going with the wide version of the crank. This is what I run. I tried using standard width Force 2X cranks, but there was only 1mm of clearance between the chainstay and the inner chain ring bolts, which I was not comfortable with
            GRX should work since it already has wider offset, then you would need a crank-based power meter
              Power2Max offers "gravel" crankset options with their power meters. They basically create GRX spacing with custom chainrings.
          Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

Here is my ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
          Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dzl

by dzl

Hey guys. I'm dialing in my fit and just came across the section in Specialized's owners manual that says no more than 5mm of spacers is allowed above the stem and that you can't put the scalloped spacers above the stem. How rigid is this rule? How are you supposed the experiment with different fits prior the cutting the steerer to where you want it

I understand their reasoning, I guess. But I've seen plenty of YouTube review videos where someone is riding a Crux with more than 5mm above the stem.

Thoughts? What have you guys done?

Thanks.

takolino

by takolino

I don't think it's a hard rule in my opinion. It probably has to do with the expander position relative to the stem. With more than 5mm of spacer, it puts the expander too far above the stem clamping area and may cause undue stress on the steerer. I don't think it will hurt to ride it before you cut the steerer as long as you don't overtighten the stem.

rjich

by rjich

I agree that it's not necessary a hard rule short term for the reasons already shared. Specialized manual also recommend 15nm for the thru axles too which is higher than I'm used to. I set them to 12 as I'm not super confident with my torque wrenches and don't fancy cracking any forks or frames!

MisterMo

by MisterMo

Frisco wrote:
          Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:38 pm
          I have a 46/30 EC90SL on my crux, and it cleared with a reasonable amount of space using the 129mm spindle but was also listed as incompatible on the crux site. I posted a couple photos in my build thread.
          Could you link to your build thread? Thanks.

Frisco

by Frisco

MisterMo wrote:
          Could you link to your build thread? Thanks.
          Sure of course - here you go. it was quickly buried but I have a parts list and will update within a couple days:

viewtopic.php?t=168816

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Just changed by front rings set up to the SRAM Force wide with the wide FD. This has increased tire clearance to 7.1mm at the narrowest point to the 40c Challenge Getaway, that measure 42.3mm on my 25c internal hookless rims.
          That is absolutely plenty, even when stuff gets genked up!

This is my long day out set up, which might as well be the world's heaviest Crux at 9kg:
          Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
          Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
          S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
          Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

FreeZ

by FreeZ

FlatlandClimber wrote:
          Sat May 07, 2022 12:29 pm
          Just changed by front rings set up to the SRAM Force wide with the wide FD. This has increased tire clearance to 7.1mm at the narrowest point to the 40c Challenge Getaway, that measure 42.3mm on my 25c internal hookless rims.
          That is absolutely plenty, even when stuff gets genked up!

This is my long day out set up, which might as well be the world's heaviest Crux at 9kg:
          That Apirudera bag seems to fit fine! What size frame is that?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FlatlandClimber wrote:
          Sat May 07, 2022 5:01 pm
          Not sure if you've answered this before, but what size stem are you running on the Crux? And geo-wise, are your Crux and Aethos pretty similar? I think we're about the same size. I ride a Tarmac in 58 and currently a Boone in 58 but just ordered a Crux in 58. The Crux is 14mm longer in reach with similar (+1mm) in stack, so I'm thinking of just swapping to a 100mm stem to get a similar setup to my current Boone (110mm stem).
          Specialized Tarmac SL7
          Specialized Crux
          Velobuild 168
          Trek Checkpoint ALR

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I ride the Aethos, Crux and Tarmac all in a 58.
          The Roadies are 110mm -12 although I have thought about going 120 on the Tarmac (it has a narrower handlebar with less reach than the others).
          The crux is set up with the -6, 100mm specialized Alloy stem and Terra bars in 420mm.
          S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FlatlandClimber wrote:
          Sun May 08, 2022 10:45 am
          I ride the Aethos, Crux and Tarmac all in a 58.
          The Roadies are 110mm -12 although I have thought about going 120 on the Tarmac (it has a narrower handlebar with less reach than the others).
          The crux is set up with the -6, 100mm specialized Alloy stem and Terra bars in 420mm.
          I recently went to a 120mm on my Tarmac with shorter reach bars (75mm) and like the fit, but don't want to be that strecthed out on the Crux as I'll be using it for CX races. Running 40cm bars on my 1x crit bike (short races) and 42cm on the Tarmac (more comfortable for longer rides and races), but 44cm currently on the Boone. Think I'm going to go with a 100mm stem and 42cm bars for the Crux.
          Specialized Tarmac SL7
          Specialized Crux
          Velobuild 168
          Trek Checkpoint ALR

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Besides the reach, a longer frame, shorter stem combo will also feel more lively. I really like that when hitting the rough stuff.
          S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Just picked up the Comp. Didn't want the full build but chose it for the color. Bit chunky for the stock build at 9.15kg. Already have the frame completely stripped, going to build it back up with GRX 1x from my previous CX bike, may throw on a FD and go 2x for some longer gravel races/rides. Question for the group: they didn't include a FD hanger, so I had to buy one for $25. Not sure if anybody else got the front hanger with theirs. Also have to buy a downtube port cover for electronic groups as they didn't include that either. Thought that was a bit odd not including those items.

Frame, 58: 934g
          Fork, uncut: 383g

Side note: will be selling the DT Swiss wheels if anybody is in the market.
          Last edited by LanceLegstrong on Wed May 18, 2022 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
          Specialized Tarmac SL7
          Specialized Crux
          Velobuild 168
          Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
          Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com