Comments on Selle San Marco Composite?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rustychain

by rustychain

This would replace an Fizik Aliante saddle. I have two questions. Understanding that saddle preferance is very personal, is this saddle going to be "comfortable" for 4 to six hour rides? Does this saddle have a weight limit? I am 212lbs. OK a third question, any better options? Thanks

toko

by toko

Hi
I have the same weight as you.I use a San Marco Aspide Ti ,177grs.
I thinking change to Aspide Composite 100 grs...Anybody use it and can help :?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

I have the Selle San Marco Composite and I give it a :thumbup: ,but I'm 135 lbs
I do 2 - 2 hr rides during the week and 2- 3+ hr on weekends, It replaced a slr which always caugth my shorts :hmm:

homegrown

by homegrown

I'll give my advice although it may not be well recieved...I used to have a Speedneedle, then a SLR, now a Concor Lite. It took some soul searching but in the end I think super light weight saddles really don't work too well for >6 hour rides. In the base period of training sometimes I"ll put back to back 5 hour (at least) rides. By the end, with those super light weight saddles...its just not comfortable. If you look at the Tour riders bikes, they all have "heavy" saddles and sometimes ride AX Lightness and such for climbs. Thats where I'm at right now, save the light stuff for races and TTs. Other's here may have different opinions, and thats cool, but I think there are plent of other ways to save weight to make up for a heavier saddle.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I have the composite and it's o.k. not as plush as my prolink gel. Most of the time I ride the prolink but I can ride the composite for long rides.
For me it is stiff in the area behind the nose where i spend most of my time. That's my only complaint. i thought of drilling holes there to soften it but thought better of messing with it. Maybe sometime when I have the guts to do it. I weigh 165 lbs.

smallfish101

by smallfish101

Just a question - why change the Aliante ? Obviously if it is uncomfortable - but it is pretty light and I agree with homegrown that on the longer rides a heavier saddle does have some advantages. I am about 210 lbs I have done two 7 hr rides and many 4 - 5 hr rides on the aliante and like it. Have not much experience with other superlights. Have a look at your seatpost also - you don't say if it is carbon, titanium or aluminium and it may be better to change there.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

rustychain

by rustychain

Thanks for the info. To answer your question of why change, I find the Aliante comfortable but the leather is paper thin and after two months it is starting to split on the back edge. to stop it I have resorted to gluing it down. I will need to replace it so I was thinking that a carbon saddle would save wieght and provide "some comfort". It sounds like this may not be the case. Thanks for all the input, you have saved my some money :D Now, what saddle to buy?

everyouncecounts

by everyouncecounts

Is a lighter saddle than the Aliante your goal in mind? If not, go with the '05 Arione w/ carbon rails. May be just as light, if not lighter, than it's sibling. Albeit much more expensive than the current model. I've tried many a saddle, and it's comfort is unrivaled. My 2cents regarding carbon saddles. I tried a Selle Italia Evolution for one ride, will never try one again. Just too uncomfortable even for my 140lb body. Matter of fact, my arse is still reeling from the pain! Save your $$$ and stick with a padded saddle. Save weight elsewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com