Recommend a race frame...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeM

by MikeM

Hey guys,

Although what I am after won't be much of a weight weenie as there appears to be a wealth of knowledge on here, I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

I'm looking for a race bike for next year (just the frame) and have a budget of around £600 (so around $1100). here's the tricky part. I have a bit of a back condition, so although I have the legs of someone who is 6'4", I have the upper body of someone who is around 5'8". My current training bike has 73/73 angles and a 58cm top tube (horizontal) and to get it to fit I use an 9cm stem. Last season I race on a Ridley (nice bike) but that got binned when I had an accident and ripped the head tube off. Got a Specialized Roubaix, with insurance money, but really hated the way it handled, especially with such a short stem.

So essentially, I am looking for a tall, short race frame. I've been looking around and for the money could get: -

Pegoretti 8:30am
Custom Aluminium (terry Doaln in the UK - makes bikes for loads of track riders)
Custom Steel (probably be 853 standard)
Canyon F8/10 (German alu/carbon with some seriously oversized tubes).

I was wondering if anyone could think of any other frames that may do the job for that kind of money.

Cheers guys!
"Life without passion is empty" - Eddy Merckx
So that explains the hours on a bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

doubleD

by doubleD

How bout a caad9? My team will be riding them this year. The geometry is very close to what your looking for.

MikeM

by MikeM

I did have a look at the CAAD9, but I'm not too sure if I can live with the top tube length. To give more detail, BB to saddle is set at 84.7cm, setback is 11cm and the tip of the saddle to the bars is 58cm, with around 12cm drop. Not too convinced I could get that position on a CAAD9.
"Life without passion is empty" - Eddy Merckx
So that explains the hours on a bike...

doubleD

by doubleD

Yea I see what you mean. My first year I was riding a felt f60 with traditional geometry when I outgrew that I got a specialized compact from the team which is about the equivalent of a 58cm. This year I will be riding a 56 cannondale. I have short arms and long legs. good luck, that was my contribution.
doubleD

Kuiper

by Kuiper

I would go for the Canyon AL ( F8 ) or the CF.
Both frames are very durable and stiff, I probably have my AL in February.
Canyon Customer service is very good and they are very helpfull.
and you got 5 Years warranty on the frame.
In 2006 I rode the F10 which I really enjoyed for this year I will ride the AL ( F8 )
So my second Canyon is Comming-up.

xcmntgeek

by xcmntgeek

Don't race it if you can't afford to replace it! That's my motto anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gray bishop

by gray bishop

xcmntgeek wrote:Don't race it if you can't afford to replace it! That's my motto anyway.

agreed