Give me some ideas for my trainning wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TTiago

by TTiago

Should i buy Fulcrum Racing 7 in black

or

Custom handbult?
105 (10v) hubs
CPX 33 mavic rims in black
DT spokes with brass nipples.

These wheels would also suit in my CX bike for next season.

Opinions are very apreciated.

OCLV

by OCLV

I would rather go with the 105 hubs! Why do you wanna use CXP 33 rims? They're only heavier and more expensive than Open Pros.

I use Mavic Open Pro rims on all of my wheelsets which have aluminum rims and I'm very satisfied with 'em. They've been tortured by cobblestones, salty roads in winter, lots of mud and other things wheels don't like. The result: they're true and a trouble-free set up with my Shimano hubs. :)

Of course the longlivety depends on the wheelbuilders quality, but if you know a good one or if you can build them on your own you won't have any problems with them anytime.

Even in case there should be a broken spoke: every dealer has them in store. I don't think that this would be the case with special parts used in system wheels like Fulcrum 7 or something similar.

Thomas
Born to be light!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weiner

by Weiner

I think it depends what kind of training you do.

For me, I overbuild my training wheels, and that is the best situation for my kind of training. Weenies would be horrified by them, but choosing custom wheels is all about matching your situation.

I generally ride in the Welsh hills, often many miles from the nearest town, which probably wouldn't have a bike shop anyway. Sometimes I do this on my own, and most of the time where I can't get mobile phone reception to ring a taxi in emergencies.

I also sometimes see an interesting bit of path I fancy riding down. Not proper off road, but not exactly paved either.

If I were to ride near large towns and cities, I'd probably have lighter training wheels, but this is what I use at the moment:

Ultegra hubs
36 spokes front and back
Mavic MA-40 rims

Probably weigh about 2kg.

36 spokes seems like a lot, but the redundancy gives me peace of mind. I broke a spoke a few weeks ago and was able to carry on riding home for another 40 miles by just letting the brake callipers out slightly.

For training, I would definately go for hand built unless you can be sure that the parts to repair factory wheels will be around for a long time.

jalapeno

by jalapeno

another vote for handbuilt here. May well turn out lighter than the Fulcrums too....
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

Skyleth

by Skyleth

I train on a set of custom wheels:

Mavic CXP33
Ultegra Front Hub
Powertap Rear
28 Spokes Front and Back
2 cross front, 3 cross rear
DT Swiss Spokes, Brass Nips

And find them much more reliable and cost effective than factory built wheels of the same price, I've got some cheap wheels that keep going out of true to the point where they've been downgraded to indoor rollers/trainer only. I'm planning on getting a few more sets of Ultegra/D-A + OpenPro/CXP33 for racing CX and training.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

mathi

by mathi

Dont know wether its any help to you but i run Fulcrum 5 on my training bike and they have been bomb proof .The hand built option would defo be lighter and nicer but i have nothing but good words to say about the Fulcrums , they relpaced a very sad pair of Kysriums .

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I have a set of the red Fulcrum Racing 7´s on my winter bike. I think they are very sturdy, and they only use standard components; spokes, nipples and hubs.

For the money they are very good, and even the hubs roll very nicely. Time will tell if they hold up to the danish wet and salty winter. I use to wear down a wheelset almost every year.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

i say handbuilts, something like this:

mavic open pros- ceramic
ultegra hubs
dt swiss spokes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com