Look 595 versus 595 Ultra

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Blankmaps

by Blankmaps

Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while, but have been hesitant to contribute because there are plenty of people who are far more knowledgable than me. I also clock in at a racing weight of about 83 kg, which makes being a genuine weight weenie totally out of the question.

I recently discovered a crack in the head tube of my current bike - a Look 486. I took the bike back to the shop, and they contacted Look in Nevers who told them that I have the choice between a replacement 486 frame, or alternatively I can go the upgrade route by paying the difference between what my 486 frame cost me and what the new 595 frame costs. This difference amounts to €500. Lucky position to be in :D, and I should mention that Look's customer service and responsivess have been first class.

My question is - has anyone had the chance to ride both the 595 and the 595 Ultra frames? I would be very interested in hearing any views. I've done a search of previous Look-related posts here - as well as other info on the internet - to see what I could glean. The Ultra frame supposedly has around 15% more lateral stiffness than the straight 595 frame, and the weight difference is negligible (to me anyway, though I'm sure there are plenty here who would disagree!) at 30 grams.

Short of any other info, my instinct is to go for the Ultra (given the intended usage - 1 day races and the odd 3 day stage race - as well as my weight riding style)....although I've heard a rumour that even the mighty Hushovd will probably only be using the Ultra frame when they reckon there is a good chance of a stage win, and he'll be riding the straight 595 frame otherwise.

Any input much appreciated, and I'll be sure to post my own views once I have my new bike.

Brendan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com