Massive fork trail variation between popular race bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CR987

by CR987

DaveS wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:46 pm
There's certainly some truth to the idea that some bike riders don't really know how to steer a bike. When I moved to Colorado and started riding fast mountain descents, I took a motorcycle training course so I could legally ride a motorcycle. The first thing taught about steering a motorcycle is to push on the right side bar to make the bike turn to the right. That's counter steering. If you quit pushing, the bike will straighten up all by itself. Motorcycles require a lot more force to steer than a bicycle and drop bars aren't as easy to push on as MTB bars. Some bike riders think that steering is all about leaning with your body, but it's counter steering that leans the bike, if it's done correctly. I hit 80-90 km/hr regularly. My bikes are new with disc brakes, but all have trail values of 67-68mm. They aren't the least bit twitchy at high speeds.
What bikes do you have with those trail numbers?
All the bikes I have looked at range from approx 52mm to 57mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The Teammachine R I want to see is 62.. TImemachine Road is 61.. Bikes are solid at speed
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

CR987 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm
What bikes do you have with those trail numbers?
All the bikes I have looked at range from approx 52mm to 57mm
I think DaveS mentioned that he rides bikes on the smaller end of the size spectrum, which usually have slacker head tube angles. If the manufacturer doesn't use a fork with a larger offset, this results in a larger trail figure.

A Giant TCR has a trail figure of 72mm in size XS, while a Pinarello Dogma F has a trial of 69mm in size 50 (and the size 50 isn't even the smallest size they make).

DaveS

by DaveS

My Yoeleo R12 and Cinelli Superstar have trails in the 67-68 range. Italian bikes often have plenty of trail, but some don't list either the HTA or fork offset because it's a secret.