Riro Aliexpress Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tiz92

by tiz92

Hi

has somebody experience with this Riro Aliexpress cassette:

https://rb.gy/jg18sv

Very light in 11-28 with 146 gr.

I am searching for an alternative. I currently have some Sram Red 11 speed cassettes but these dont shift properly in my 11 speed di2 setup. How do you think is the shifting no the Riro?

thanks

tiz

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

If you can't get a Sram cassette to shift well, anything from Ali will be even worse

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I'm with bigboy on this one. XG cassettes shift very well. Maybe check hanger alignment.

I would be willing to give one of those a try. 162g for a 11-32. Out of stock at the moment.

basilic

by basilic

nickf wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:59 pm
I would be willing to give one of those a try. 162g for a 11-32.
Really? 1 tooth jumps 11-16, then 19? I wonder if people who design this ever ride.

dsveddy

by dsveddy

Just installed a 32t unit on my bike and tested 30 miles yesterday. Running Ultegra 8100 mechanical, YBN chain.

It’s as light as advertised. A little finicky to install on the cassette body. I have one wheelset it didn’t want to go on, but then it fit fine on a wheel set with novatec hubs. (The one it didn’t fit on had a questionable free hub body) Perplexingly, the cassette has evenly spaced spline channels all the way around—no need to locate onto the skinny spline. I was concerned that maybe the one freehub body didn’t fit because the front and back halves of the spline channels of the cassette maybe were not perfectly concentric or aligned. But there is no visible runout that would be the telltale sign of a cassette with sprockets out-of-true—so it seems there’s no alignment problem, and I can’t discern if the issue is the cassette or my crappy freehub.

Riding and shifting performance is fine. A little clunky and noisy, and the largest cog feels pretty sticky. We’ll see if I can tune that out or if it goes away with some wear, or if it’s really going to be like that forever. But no other major annoyances like skipping or failure to shift over the course of my ride. I’ve been able to do a few standing sprints while running through the cassette, and climbing hills while shifting into easier gears under load, with no problem.

I had to open the low-end limiter on my RD a bit because it seemed that the cassette ran a bit inboard compared to my SROAD cassette.

I also questioned the very nonlinear tooth jumps, but on the other hand, I didn’t really feel the difference when pedaling. I’ll try to calculate the linearity of the ratios to see what we’re dealing with sometime this evening.

As most of you can probably tell, the reason these are so light (and cheap) is that the two largest cogs are aluminum and the rest is a one-piece CNC cassette. I think it’s a fine concept considering that the 32 and 30 cogs will be among the least-used, and wear is distributed over a much larger number of teeth compared to the rest of the cassette. Obviously these cassettes will wear out faster than a SRAM or Shimano cassette, but you are also paying for less for them. The other thing I like about these knock off one piece cassettes is how much nicer they are to aluminum freehubs compared to loose sprockets.

For $80-90 that they sell for, I gotta say it’s a fine deal. Especially since they’re sold by a choice vendor, which means returns should be free.

dsveddy

by dsveddy

tiz92 wrote:Hi

has somebody experience with this Riro Aliexpress cassette:

https://rb.gy/jg18sv

Very light in 11-28 with 146 gr.

I am searching for an alternative. I currently have some Sram Red 11 speed cassettes but these dont shift properly in my 11 speed di2 setup. How do you think is the shifting no the Riro?

thanks

tiz
Are your issues only in the largest cog? I’ve worn through a RED cassette before, it becomes impossible to shift in or out of the largest cog. Happens even if your teeth look relatively normal

nickf

by nickf

basilic wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:03 pm
nickf wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:59 pm
I would be willing to give one of those a try. 162g for a 11-32.
Really? 1 tooth jumps 11-16, then 19? I wonder if people who design this ever ride.
Good catch. Yeah that's a bit odd.

tiz92

by tiz92

It turned out that my b screw was to loose. Now the sram cassette shifts nearly perfect. I am very tempted now to try the Riro cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com