mold on carbon frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

archimonde

by archimonde

I have Cube Litening C:68X SLT for almost a year now. I've ridden it for 3-4k kilometers during the dry days with only a few exceptions. During the winter, I was keeping the bike along with my other bike (Specialized Roubaix) in my garden shed.

I wasn't at home for a month and when I came back, I saw something on the frame. It looks like mold but this didn't happen to Specialized bike which is also carbon.

I'm adding a picture of it. I immediately cleaned it but not sure if the frame is fine. What do you think?
Attachments
photo1709840389.jpeg

tmrace

by tmrace

archimonde wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:51 pm
I have Cube Litening C:68X SLT for almost a year now. I've ridden it for 3-4k kilometers during the dry days with only a few exceptions. During the winter, I was keeping the bike along with my other bike (Specialized Roubaix) in my garden shed.

I wasn't at home for a month and when I came back, I saw something on the frame. It looks like mold but this didn't happen to Specialized bike which is also carbon.

I'm adding a picture of it. I immediately cleaned it but not sure if the frame is fine. What do you think?
Assuming you use carbohydrate drink mix it looks like some of the drink mix spilled while riding and the conditions in the shed were just wet enough for mold to grow from the drink mix. Wipe it off and keep riding. Won't affect the carbon at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Won’t affect carbon but check those water cage bolts. Mold of course won’t affect metal but water bottle leakage and humidity could lead to rust or seizing of those bolts.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

archimonde

by archimonde

Indeed, I use carbohydrate drink mix and probably that's the reason. I'll also check the bottle cage bolts.

I can also see some around the bottom bracket. I'll clean the bike in detail to make sure those are gone.

Thanks a lot.