Best disks and pads for SRAM Red

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Sorry to start a new thread about this, hoping to keep it brief.

I hear SRAM road brakes are so so in terms of power, feel, modulation and fade. I have Campy now, so used to the best and don't want to downgrade. New build SL8 with SRAM Red. System weight 66-67kg.

For road riding, mostly flat with a sprinkle of climbs and descents. Mostly dry conditions.

What would the best disk and pad combo be?

Disk choices: SRAM Paceline, Galfer Wave, keep my heavy Campy disks and hope they don't rub on SRAM calipers.

Pads: Original SRAM, SwisStop RS

Recommendations welcome.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I always liked the actual original pads, the replacements never seemed quite the same.

But Swisstop yellows and centerline XR have been my favourite combo on sram so far.

Never had them fade, but I like a late, short and sharp brake application.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I have Force calipers with Galfer rotors and Kool stop organic/red pads and this is by far the quietest option I had ran on my AXS bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SwissStop RS are the quietest pads I’ve ever tried…they are silent until it gets very, very wet and cold. However they are also soft and wear very quickly. SRAM Centerline X/XR are also the most reliable rotors I’ve used. The “irregular” shaped vents mean you never hear any weird chirping/fluting.

I’m back to using SwissStop E pads however, and don’t mind the occasionally squeal when wet.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

After using various pads I'm back to SRAM organic on aluminium. They work well in all conditions and last.

polpy

by polpy

SwissStop Yellow or Green + centerline or Galfer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I run SRAM Red eTap 11 speed on my bike. When I sourced the kit I was upgrading from Force hydro mechanical to the afor mentioned. I found such a great deal on my NIB SRAM Red kit that I had to but it even though the calipers where post mount and I needed flat mount. So the Force calipers stayed on and the Red post mount calipers sold with the Force shifters. I use the stock SRAM pads and KCNC 6 bolt discs. I can't say I need more brake that I have and am very satisfied with the feedback, modulation and stopping power.

I guess I should add I run 140mm KCNC rotors.
Last edited by Juanmoretime on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Tempted to go with Galfer Wave as the WW option.

A 160mm F and 140mm rear would save over 60g compared to the 2 Centreline 160mm disks I currently have.

Would the stock SRAM Red pads play nicely with the Galfers?

I assume the rear Red 2 piece caliper is natively designed for 140mm and works with a 160mm with an adaptor?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nickldn wrote:Tempted to go with Galfer Wave as the WW option.

A 160mm F and 140mm rear would save over 60g compared to the 2 Centreline 160mm disks I currently have.

Would the stock SRAM Red pads play nicely with the Galfers?

I assume the rear Red 2 piece caliper is natively designed for 140mm and works with a 160mm with an adaptor?
I run 160/140 galfer with stock sram pads and breaking is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Pads: since it use the same pad type as Sram mountain bike brakes.
Then I have experience from that side as well.

Best pads, which is also cheap, I've used so far is Hardheaded Ram Ceramic+Kevlar pads for Sram 2 piston brakes.

I believe it's this one. But double check the pad shape before order.
https://www.amazon.com/Elixir-Trickstuf ... 09BBRB4BD/

melkart

by melkart

I had noise issues with prolonged descents in cols with the original Sram discs that my Tarmac SL7 had with its Rival AXS groupset.

Since then, I use Shimano XT discs together with the blue Galfer pads and I have had no problem since then. They perform great.

Enviado desde mi 2201116PG mediante Tapatalk

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Update from OP:

I decided to go with Galfer Wave for the SL8 SRAM Red build. The frame should be with me in a few weeks, the only part I don't have are the bars.

In the meantime I have put the 160mm Galfer disk on my CRW front wheel and tried it out with the stock Campy Chorus caliper and pads on my ZX1. Breaking performance is great, more feel, more power and no screeching noise (in the dry). Very pleased. Now let's hope the Red calipers measure up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

140mm Galfer Waves + SRAM 2-piece calipers and pads make a patterned noise when they've gotten really hot.