NEW Trek Emonda ALR 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

What are these spacers/dust cover and where can I get them?
Attachments
IMG_3637.jpeg
IMG_3636.jpeg
IMG_3636.jpeg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fizzaz

by fizzaz

That looks like the top cover that they include with the frame meant for the RCS stem, but the spacer just below this stem looks like the oen meant for carbon SL7 emonda? I think? It actually looks pretty clean.

robertbb

by robertbb

I can't get my head around these half-way integrated cable solutions.

Trek, Merida, now Giant. Who thought leaving a gaping hole at the front of the bike for water and dust ingress was a good idea? *facepalm*

At least on older frames where the brake hoses entered the frame itself, you had rubber grommets providing a modicum of weather protection and sealing.

If you're going to integrate the cables just run them fully internal and be done with it.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

I've been on this type of system for several years now and I have seen no problem whatsoever of shortened bearing life. It just isn't a problem that everyone assumes. To me, it's the best of both worlds when it comes to "hidden" cables.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

What do you all think? 3D printed? Trek OEM?
Attachments
IMG_3648.jpeg

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Definitely 3d printed and pretty sure I want it.

rothwem

by rothwem

So I've got a new ALR frameset on the way. Would it be a crazy thought to build one of these with the Tarmac SL7 stem? The upper bearing cap looks a lot like the Allez Sprint's:

justdank

by justdank

rothwem wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 pm
So I've got a new ALR frameset on the way. Would it be a crazy thought to build one of these with the Tarmac SL7 stem? The upper bearing cap looks a lot like the Allez Sprint's:
I've been waiting for someone to post this. I like how the stem has that piece that bolts down and keeps the cables tidy.
With decent cable management can get just as clean of a look with a traditional stem as well.
IMG_0401.jpeg

rothwem

by rothwem

So I got my frame in and started putting parts on it and realized that the dropouts are a little wonky on my bike--the rear needs to be spread a bit to get the hub in and in the front, there's a solid 5mm gap on either side of the hub endcaps between the fork drops.

Should I be worried about this? The wheels do go on and tighten up okay but my other bikes aren't like this.

Also, there's a giant gap between the top of the headtube and the bearing cap, did I put this together wrong? I haven't run any cables yet, just wanted to mock it up first. EDIT: just realized this is "Normal". Wtf.
IMG_1454.jpeg
The grey paint looks awesome though.

rothwem

by rothwem

So at this point I feel like I'm just talking to myself, but I wonder if this would work as a lower stack option for the headset cable routing:
https://shop.cervelo.com/products/mtb-bearing-cap

Its the headset cable routing from the Cervelo ZHT-5, which uses a straight 1.5" head tube with a regular 1 1/8" -1 1/2" fork just like the ALR does.

Aw *f##k* it, I'm going to order it and try it out, its only $20.

justdank

by justdank

Looks like it will. The Deda system can also lower it a lil bit.

Keep us posted about the Cervelo cap, could be a decent option.
Last edited by justdank on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

justdank

by justdank

rothwem wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:48 pm
So I got my frame in and started putting parts on it and realized that the dropouts are a little wonky on my bike--the rear needs to be spread a bit to get the hub in and in the front, there's a solid 5mm gap on either side of the hub endcaps between the fork drops.

Should I be worried about this? The wheels do go on and tighten up okay but my other bikes aren't like this.

Also, there's a giant gap between the top of the headtube and the bearing cap, did I put this together wrong? I haven't run any cables yet, just wanted to mock it up first. EDIT: just realized this is "Normal". Wtf.

IMG_1454.jpeg

The grey paint looks awesome though.
As far as the frame I had manufacturing issues that got resolved when I brought it to the LBS and sent out for warranty. If you're not 100% about it had the shop look it over. Fork seems normal as it would suck in with the ThruAxle.

That headset space does seem a little bigger than most(including mine) Are you sure its in there peoperly with the bearings preloaded?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:14 pm
Definitely 3d printed and pretty sure I want it.

It’s possibly a revised FramesAndGear one.

https://framesandgear.com/products/fram ... er-my-2023

justdank

by justdank

rothwem wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:10 pm
Looked at the tech doc, and it does look like it will work.
Attachments
Annotation 2024-02-19 203310.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Cervelo cover and compression ring might work. The Deda DCR cover and 36/45deg compression ring will almost certainly leave a huge gap between the cover and HT.