Mavic Yksion Pro UST II

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Hello,
Has anyone ridden in the yksion pro ust 2? Any idea what’s the difference between pro ust and pro ust 2? I am unable to find them in USA, online retailers and eBay. Where can I buy these? Looking to buy 25mm ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

pritish8287 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:54 pm
Hello,
Has anyone ridden in the yksion pro ust 2? Any idea what’s the difference between pro ust and pro ust 2? I am unable to find them in USA, online retailers and eBay. Where can I buy these? Looking to buy 25mm ones.

Mavic no longer sells tires

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Interesting. Their website still shows description. Any suggestions on what other alternatives I have that can fit Kysrium wheels?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Pretty sure they are made by Hutchinson. Similar to Hutchinson's top tubeless offering. I'd go that route if you want something close, might even be the same tire. I have used the Mavics fairly extensively on my winter/fender bike. They have been excellent. Fast, and yet durable for a race tire. Easy to mount and hold air well. I can't tell the difference between version 1 and version 2. If you do a deep web search you might find a few retailers with some in stock. FWIW I always used 28mm.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

I reached out to Hutchinson support, no response from them. I reached to Mavic, and their support finally responded saying Mavic no longer makes tires and suggested Hutchinson Fusion 5 or Pirelli P zero based on their interactions with owners of Ksyrium wheelsets who went with non-Mavric tire. Offcourse, their recommendation is to find Mavic ust as it is the best fit for mavic wheels.
As for Mr. Gib’s suggestion to use 28mm, I’d love to but I am not sure my Colnago v1-r disc has enough clearance for it. I had opened another thread where a poster said he had 28mm on his v1-r and had no issues.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I have the yksion pro ust II in 25 mm on my resto-mod De Rosa Dual (came mounted on a new set of Ksyrium Carbon Pro SL) and Hutchinson Fusion 5 TR Performance (28 mm) and Galactik (25 mm) on a more modern De Rosa Protos Disc (mounted tubeless to Fulrum Racing Speed 40 DB). Very similar tires. I would guess that the carcass and tread compound are very similar, if not identical between the two. The "tread"-design on each is different, but quite similar (curiously, the Mavics claim to be directional for F/R fitment, whereas the Hutchinsons do not). I got about 2,200 miles on the rear Hutchinson before the cords were exposed in some spots (my rides have a lot of short, but punchy climbs (in excess of 10% grades) which is hard on tires). I've gotten almost 1,400 miles on the yksion pro ust II tires, with no issues. Both sets of tires run tubeless (yksions with Mavic-branded sealant, Hutchinsons with Orange-Seal), were easy to mount, hold air well once sealant is in, seem pretty cut resistant (compared to prior GP5000 and GP4000 tires). No flats yet (knock on wood). Maybe not the "fastest" tire out there, but to me aren't noticeably slower than prior GP5000 with latex tubes, and seem to have good grip in both dry and wet.

I think the only difference between the Pro UST and the Pro UST II is the graphics changed to match Mavic's more subtle, recent graphics.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Oh, and I believe that the Pirelli P Zero TLR tires, until recently, were made by Hutchinson in France as well, so it would not surprise me that they would perform similarly. I believe production has recently switched to Italy, however.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

CyclingGiraffe wrote:Oh, and I believe that the Pirelli P Zero TLR tires, until recently, were made by Hutchinson in France as well, so it would not surprise me that they would perform similarly. I believe production has recently switched to Italy, however.
Thanks. I am tending towards Hutchinsons. They are better priced than P zeros at least on most usa based online retailers

MikeD

by MikeD

I think it sucks that Mavic isn't making tires anymore. That means that UST road is dead. I've got Mavic UST rims and it was nice to have tires that are not too tight for easy mounting, or too loose fitting. Loose fitting tubeless tires are an accident waiting to happen.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

UST was the basis of the ETRTO standard for tubeless.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

MikeD wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:32 pm
I think it sucks that Mavic isn't making tires anymore. That means that UST road is dead. I've got Mavic UST rims and it was nice to have tires that are not too tight for easy mounting, or too loose fitting. Loose fitting tubeless tires are an accident waiting to happen.
Don't sweat it:

https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... eed-group/

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Interesting article.
Indeed, when talking to Mavic's customer support a couple of years ago, they said the maximum tire life should be around 3000 km, no TWI present they said when the surface gets grainy, it's time to replace the tires. Mavic, to my knowledge, never manufactured tires, but rather got them produced by Hutchinson.
On my Cosmic Carbon Pro SLR wheels, I first used the original Maviec Yksion pro UST, then the Schwalbe Pro One TLE, that were replaced by Pirelli P Zero SL, since nothing else was available when I finally had a puncture after 22000 km of riding tubeless. The last Pirelli I used got a strange bubble on the tread, and when that got bigger, I replaced it with a then available Continental GP5000 S TR 25mm in the front and a couple of weeks later with a 28mm of the same Conti, which was kind of available end of August. The 25mm Continental was reasonable to mount - took me only 50 minutes - the 28mm was harder, but still manageble. Up till now I am happy with the Contis. On my other wheels (Mavic Pro UST), I still have the Conti GP5000S TL on, which are harder to mount, but on these wheels still doable.
That at least is my experience.

MikeD

by MikeD

stevesbike wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:32 pm
Don't sweat it:

https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... eed-group/
Good to know. Thanks.

wltz

by wltz

Siriuslux wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:22 pm
The last Pirelli I used got a strange bubble on the tread, and when that got bigger
I've been having these bubbles on my most recently purchased (and last, since the line was discontinued) set of Hutchinson Galaktics. When one pops up, I just pierce it with a needle, problem solved 😅 I guess this issue is endemic with all Hutchinson-made lightweight tubeless tyres, even by other brands.

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

wltz wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:01 pm
Siriuslux wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:22 pm
The last Pirelli I used got a strange bubble on the tread, and when that got bigger
I've been having these bubbles on my most recently purchased (and last, since the line was discontinued) set of Hutchinson Galaktics. When one pops up, I just pierce it with a needle, problem solved 😅 I guess this issue is endemic with all Hutchinson-made lightweight tubeless tyres, even by other brands.
That's interesting - and a reason more I am happy I managed to put the Contis onto the Mavic rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com