Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

GrassQ wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:33 pm
I also considired that. Havent see it in flesh.
Found these pictures giant ss2 concept store.
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=922 ... 5923180014
Great, thanks. Looks not too bad but will probably date quickly. Food for thought though ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

I think Giant are likely the worst company for their website / catalogue photos. They make some really stunning bikes look dull, and I try to remember that whenever I can. It's always helpful to find those non-catalogue photos too - nice work GrassQ.

As for the idea of dating quickly - that made me wonder what the median age is for #1 road bikes on this forum. Surely 2-3 years tops, right?

Marble effect and oily-purple-dragonfly colours both seem to be going strong right now, so I'm sure this frame will still look good at the median age. Maybe just avoid adding the oil slick bar tape too?

GrassQ

by GrassQ

I like most clear blue colors and combinations in propel, Jaycos 2023 and gloss aerospace blue and chrome are my favorits.
Couple months and then again.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Ok warrantied fork is back. After I ceramic coat the thing ima build it up.
:)

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Is there really no washer for the through axle supplied? It is it missing with mine?

Maddie

by Maddie

There are washers but you can't remove them easily by hand. Maybe that's why you think there aren't any. Post a picture if unsure

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Maddie wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 am
There are washers but you can't remove them easily by hand. Maybe that's why you think there aren't any. Post a picture if unsure
my other bike has flat washers between the frame and the thru axles

(I don't really see the point in the structured surface on the axle there, but I'm a different kind of engineer 😅)
Attachments
IMG_3561.jpeg
IMG_3560.jpeg

bobones

by bobones

js wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:48 pm
As for the idea of dating quickly - that made me wonder what the median age is for #1 road bikes on this forum. Surely 2-3 years tops, right?

Marble effect and oily-purple-dragonfly colours both seem to be going strong right now, so I'm sure this frame will still look good at the median age. Maybe just avoid adding the oil slick bar tape too?
Lol. You've seen my TCR haven't you!? :D

I tend to keep bikes a lot longer than 2-3 years, and really hate selling them on: hence why I have 6 in my garage right now. I still think of my MY21 TCR SL as a new bike, and the pinnacle of rim brake performance, while my 2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina looks more and more like a design classic as the years go by, and it's such fun to ride. I am in no rush to sell either of these, while the others (all-road disc, winter carbon, steel and Ti) have their place too.

I am always on the lookout for a bargain, and this Propel frameset seems to have the best performance/price ratio of any of the top framesets at the minute, with the bonus that it's actually in stock, but I'm not sure I need another purple Giant in my life right now! (Dark metallic green with gold or chrome decals on the other hand would be an instant buy).The Look 795 Blade also appeals to me, and in Team Black, will be one that will still look great in 5 years time, but it's £2k more than this Propel, probably a bit heavy, and impossible to find right now.

js

by js

As someone who also rides off-road, races the odd TT/Tri and lives in a winter climate, I guess I've always had to part with my road bikes when it's time to upgrade - or I'd need to extend my basement to my garage, maybe behind a secret bookshelf or something (which would be a cool project to take up, if I didn't already have so many bike projects on the go!)

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Propel frameset - it's really hard to find a better option out there for top-end performance, balancing aero, weight and PRICE!

If I could have purchased either the carbon or white frames they had last year, I'm pretty sure that would have been my bike upgrade for the season. Instead, I was lucky enough to find a great deal on an SL7. I'm still annoyed by Big S as a company, but they make a nice bike and this one didn't end up costing me anything for the upgrade.

And if it makes you feel any better, I spent $60 on the oil slick Ti bolts for the SL7 too - if it makes you smile a bit bigger every time you see the bike, it's worth it!

Speedman

by Speedman

Do you know where I can order Propel stem online ? 140mm
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr/poten ... 3plus-2023
My giant store can’t order this quickly due to out of stock...

Peabody

by Peabody

Is anyone aware of a d-shape spacer that is available to run on top of the stem?

I usually like to have a bit of the steerer tube above the stem and add a 5mm spacer.

I have a round 1 1/4 spacer left over from my TCR would there be any issues using this? The fit is relatively good - not really any side to side play...
Attachments
IMG_2140.jpeg

spartan

by spartan

a sweet limited edition propel frameset. why do they limit ?

can someone please explain why the f** giant can not follow specialized and sell multiple diff frameset in exciting colorways.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

vsportsguy

by vsportsguy

coverstem wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:04 am
bobones wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:43 pm
coverstem wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:33 am
The fantastic 4 integrated bar for Giant Propel plug & play:

-Cadex (only for pro team)
-EXS Aerover
-Pro vibe Evo
-Bigrock Skyline
I was wondering about exactly this the other day. Thanks for posting. What is your personal preference?

The Pro Vibe Evo seems to be the most generally available, but it's a bit of an ugly mofo imo. Perhaps it's a grower.

Do these all come with bearing covers and spacers that transition nicely with the Propel frame?
Bigrock Skyline quality/price
Does the Bigrock Skyline come with a d wedge?

Speedman

by Speedman

Hi Guys,
Any advice to shave some grams switching the standard mount on my Propel ?
33g without bolts and 43g with. I'm using GARMIN 530 so I needn't long mount for 1000+ model
I've already look for Alptitude Mount but it's quite expensive imo...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Ca 7.5 kg size M
45 mm 30ext farsport rd270 carbon spoke wheelset with 28 Pirelli p zero speedcore tubeless
Speeder cycling aero handlebar (36-42 iirc)
Alu giant stem
Specialized romin pro
I have the best components Varia mount.

Group:
Dura ace:
Calipers, rotors, chainrings, cassette, pedals, my mindset 😐
Ultegra:
STIs and both derailleurs

Crank is the magene PES with 165mm
Besides the stem and saddle I don't see huge weight saving potential.
I'll probably go for the EXS, whenever that may be available in my size but the speeder cycling handlebars are really great
Attachments
IMG_3646.jpeg
image.jpg