Stiff, light-ish, cheap-ish frameset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rothwem

by rothwem

I'm tired of using my Crux as an N-1 bike for a number of reasons (all of them probably silly) and I want a road bike again. I don't have a huge budget though, so I'm probably going to restrict myself to a ~$1200-1500 frameset. I'm a big, strong guy and I hate a flexy frame, but I'm also not wild about a super heavy one either. I'm not picky on frame material. I do want discs though, since I have a pretty nice carbon disc road wheelset that I bought for the Crux as "fast road" wheels. Maybe that's a dumb reason too though. I was thinking that the Allez Sprint would fit this mold pretty well, but I'm annoyed that Specialized ruined it for 2022. Maybe they'll make it as light as the previous gen for 2025 or something.

I'm considering:
-Trek Emonda ALR. How stiff is it? I had a CAAD10 that I liked, is the ALR comparable?
-CAAD13. They don't sell a disc frameset as far as I know, but I guess I could just buy a base model and strip it.
-Open Mold? I don't really know what to expect here. I'm not really anti-Chinese bikes, since everyone makes their bikes there anyways.

Any other ideas?

DaveS

by DaveS

So far, I like my Yoeleo R12 that comes with a seatpost and integrated bars for $1215 USD, delivered. I got mine in 9 days. The 47cm frame weighs 1150 grams, 396 for the fork, 400 for the bar/stem and 247 for the post. I weigh 60kg, so a little extra weight on the frame doesn't bother me. The BB386 is a good size. The frame will easily take 32mm tires. The frame seems quite stiff, but with Zipp 303s and 30mm p zero tubeless running 54/57 psi, it rides nice. Handling is great. My other bikes have 150 gram lighter frames and 100 gram lighter bar/stem.

https://www.yoeleobike.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

The main criticism of the Yoeleo (rather than Miracle's older version) R12 is that it lacks stiffness. So not sure I'd recommend that.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Standert kreissage only heard good things about them

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

choochoo46

by choochoo46

Triban maybe? You can get an entire bike for your price point and come away with an extra set of wheels.
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/08/field-t ... 20-review/

DaveS

by DaveS

RDY wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 pm
The main criticism of the Yoeleo (rather than Miracle's older version) R12 is that it lacks stiffness. So not sure I'd recommend that.
Where does this come from? The R12 has a very beefy BB area and beefy chainstays. Big head tube for 1-1/2 inch brarings. Nothing looks like it wouldn't be stiff.

RDY

by RDY

DaveS wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:25 pm
RDY wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 pm
Where does this come from? The R12 has a very beefy BB area and beefy chainstays. Big head tube for 1-1/2 inch brarings. Nothing looks like it wouldn't be stiff.
It's widely complained about. You're not going to notice a lack of stiffness in a size 47 at that weight ...

DaveS

by DaveS

I liked mine well enough to order a second one.

rhender

by rhender

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:03 pm
Standert kreissage Image only heard good things about them

If you can find one. I've been thinking about picking one up as a travel bike but they've been completely sold out in all sizes.

biwa

by biwa

SEKA Exceed (RDC)

TLN

by TLN

rothwem wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:28 pm
I was thinking that the Allez Sprint would fit this mold pretty well, but I'm annoyed that Specialized ruined it for 2022. Maybe they'll make it as light as the previous gen for 2025 or something.
What's the issue with past year Allez Sprint? Plenty of colors, stiff seatpost, looks better than the latest one IMHO. You can easily get one, and have some cash for one piece handlebar.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

njleach

by njleach

rothwem wrote:
I'm tired of using my Crux as an N-1 bike for a number of reasons (all of them probably silly) and I want a road bike again.
What don't you like about the Crux? I'm considering one as a road/gravel all-in-one w/ 2 wheelsets and am curious why you're considering moving away from one..

rothwem

by rothwem

rhender wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 am
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:03 pm
Standert kreissage Image only heard good things about them

If you can find one. I've been thinking about picking one up as a travel bike but they've been completely sold out in all sizes.
Yup. I've considered one, but they seem permanently out of stock.
biwa wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:00 am
SEKA Exceed (RDC)
These are good looking, but man, the value just isn't there. $2000 Euros for open mold carbon? Enh.
TLN wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 am
rothwem wrote:
I was thinking that the Allez Sprint would fit this mold pretty well, but I'm annoyed that Specialized ruined it for 2022. Maybe they'll make it as light as the previous gen for 2025 or something.
What's the issue with past year Allez Sprint? Plenty of colors, stiff seatpost, looks better than the latest one IMHO. You can easily get one, and have some cash for one piece handlebar.
They're pricey on the used market and there's no warranty. I tend to crack frames, so its nice to have the piece of mind of a new bike. With that said, if one came along in decent condition for under $1000, I'd probably jump on it. As-is currently, they tend to go up for ~1500 with dents and paint chips.

rothwem

by rothwem

njleach wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:15 am
rothwem wrote:
I'm tired of using my Crux as an N-1 bike for a number of reasons (all of them probably silly) and I want a road bike again.
What don't you like about the Crux? I'm considering one as a road/gravel all-in-one w/ 2 wheelsets and am curious why you're considering moving away from one..
To be honest, the Crux is probably best case for an N-1 bike, but there are a number of compromises for gravel that make it annoying for road riding. Here is my list of grievences:

-I'm between a 56 and a 58 (187cm tall), I went with the 58 for the longer front center and the associated shorter stem for gravel. For road riding though, the bar just isn't low enough, I feel like a parachute. Its great on gravel though, so I'm hesitant to get something like a -17 stem.

-I'm using a 1x setup with a 42x11-42 for gravel and 42x11-32 for road. I spin out all the time on the road and its annoying. I don't want to go with a 2x setup because its hard to clean and the guys I ride with that use a 2x setup drop their chain *all the time* when they shift on gravel. These aren't newbies, I just don't think that 2x is the best for bumpy roads. I don't want to get into a terrain pissing contest, but I live near Pisgah and maybe we just have very bumpy gravel?

-Switching disc wheels is really annoying. I have them shimmed up, but even still, they're not exactly the same position, so I essentially have rotor rub all the time with one of the wheelsets. It doesn't rub in the stand, but as soon as I stand up for a climb I get that damn intermittent rotor contact. *shing*shing*shing* Makes me want to throw the bike off a cliff.

-The crux geometry is just not awesome on the road. I think its better than a lot of other gravel bikes would be, but the super low trail in the front (mid 50s with a 28mm road tire) combined with a long (for a road bike) chainstay makes for a weird handling feel with a twitchy front end but a long wheelbase. The result is that I have to focus a bit harder than I'd like to hold my line and that's annoying in a group setting. I could probably get big slicks to fix this, but I want to go FAST on the road. Instead I end up riding my 40s and grinding my knobs to dust because it makes the bike handle better.

-I'm not crazy about using SPDs on the road. They work "fine", but mtb shoes are heavier than road shoes, and SPDs aren't as confident to sprint on. I'd rather use road pedals and shoes for road riding.

-And lastly, and probably the most stupid reason, is that my bike is constantly dirty from riding gravel. We have a lot of creek crossings and spots on the gravel roads where springs flow across the road, so the bike gets wet, then you ride on the dry dusty gravel some more and the dust sticks to the frame. The RD pullies get dirty, the chainring is dirty, there's dirt under the saddle, there's grit in the bar tape. I'd like to have a road bike that I can take out if I neglect cleaning the graveller after a ride one day. Maybe I'm a neglectful owner, but one of the nice things about a road bike is that you really don't have to clean it very often. Wipe down and re-lube the drivetrain every 3-4 rides and that it.

So yeah. Basically the Crux is a great gravel bike and does everything I ask for from that perspective, but its just not really tuned to be a great road bike. It does okay, and if I "needed" to ride it on the road I could and do. I'd rather have something dedicated though.

TLN

by TLN

rothwem wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:10 pm
TLN wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 am
rothwem wrote:
They're pricey on the used market and there's no warranty. I tend to crack frames, so its nice to have the piece of mind of a new bike. With that said, if one came along in decent condition for under $1000, I'd probably jump on it. As-is currently, they tend to go up for ~1500 with dents and paint chips.
Lots of frames available around $1000. I got one with a hundred miles on it for $1000 and see some other available. Allez is not the most comfortable bike, so some people sell it after a few rides. Not an issue with 200+ lbs.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com