New Roval Rapide CLX II

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
JG220

by JG220

I've just ordered an Sworks Tarmac build at my LBS. Its a component build rather than a pre built bike.

Should i ask them to wait for CLX II which is now tubeless compatible before I take delivery?

I guess thoughts are:
-New wheels are probably even more money and i'm pretty much at my max
-I don't really mind running tubes as don't often suffer with puntures but i've never used Turbo Cottons before
-I'd like the bike as soon as possilbe, well be because 'new and shiny'
-The new wheels might be 100g heavier?

hannawald

by hannawald

No one can tell you what you should want:) you want it immediately, original version is completely ok for you, 100g is quite a lot but something in you wants the latest. Maybe buy completely different wheelset:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

Read the full roval wheels topic 😬

I'd go for the gen 1 version if I could choose.

JG220

by JG220

sorry, did search for the topic and didn't spot it...

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Apparantly there are a lot of people running the current CLX's tubeless and they work fine. It makes you question what the 100g extra is?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

hannawald

by hannawald

There is an article on bikeradar where they explain it. They were meant to be tubeless but when Peter Sagan cracked the rim while testing the tire blew off. So they refused to run the risk. They redesigned the rim so when it cracks it cracks at the spoke area while being able to hold the tire. But it means they gained the weight.

MasterBean

by MasterBean

JG220 wrote:sorry, did search for the topic and didn't spot it...
It's in the Everything Wheels section at the top. You can of course run different tyres that you are used to.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hannawald wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:16 pm
There is an article on bikeradar where they explain it. They were meant to be tubeless but when Peter Sagan cracked the rim while testing the tire blew off. So they refused to run the risk. They redesigned the rim so when it cracks it cracks at the spoke area while being able to hold the tire. But it means they gained the weight.

It’s more that the rim bed was cracking under tubeless “back pressure” and eventually leading to catastrophic failure. Sagan’s incident merely revealed the design flaw in a more instantaneous manner. Basically the rim bed was compressing too much under inflation, suffering from stress cracking / delam and finally failing catastrophically with all that air rushing into the rim cavity and blowing out the sidewall of the rim.

Frankly I wouldn’t be tempted to buy gen1 Alpinists or Rapides knowing this info, but you guys do you.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I must have some very lucky rim beds with circa 500,000km on them from 30+ sets of tubeless V1 wheels.

There's people on here who take scalpels to their carbon frames when stripping paint, and drilling components. I'd be a bit more concerned about that over a tried and tested set of "not tubeless" tubeless wheels.

I appreciate there's some morons out there who may have thrown 120psi into the wheels when setting up tubeless and potentially damaged a rim, but if you know what you're doing and use sensible tyres (not GP5000TL), these really are a bloody fantastic set of wheels and have been literally the best tubeless wheels I've owned (two years nearly).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

HaroldC

by HaroldC

From CyclingTips in regards to their impact testing setup tubeless. Clearly not from over inflating, but rather impacts to the rim.

"Roval says that when the first-generation Rapide CLX and Alpinist CLX wheels were tested with the new protocol and set up tubeless, Sagan’s failure could be replicated in the lab. Cracks would initiate in the tire bed, but then also propagate there, and since those rims were made so light, what resulted was a sudden sidewall blowout. The pressure vessel blew apart."

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

HaroldC wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:47 am
From CyclingTips in regards to their impact testing setup tubeless. Clearly not from over inflating, but rather impacts to the rim.

"Roval says that when the first-generation Rapide CLX and Alpinist CLX wheels were tested with the new protocol and set up tubeless, Sagan’s failure could be replicated in the lab. Cracks would initiate in the tire bed, but then also propagate there, and since those rims were made so light, what resulted was a sudden sidewall blowout. The pressure vessel blew apart."

Not from direct impact though, from sudden hyperlocalized pressure increases acting on the rim bed when setup tubeless. With tubes, they claim the inner tube acts as a shock absorber, preventing those stress cracks.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Alpinist CLX II just about same weight as the first gen, but the Rapide CLX II is 100g heavier?

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

ome rodriguez wrote:Alpinist CLX II just about same weight as the first gen, but the Rapide CLX II is 100g heavier?
Different hub i believe spez say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

hannawald wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:16 pm
Sagan has been fat and out of shape the last two years. Maybe they should have marketed the first genration to in shape cyclist only. :D
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Vincentsmoox wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:28 am
ome rodriguez wrote:Alpinist CLX II just about same weight as the first gen, but the Rapide CLX II is 100g heavier?
Different hub i believe spez say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see only the Alpinist has a different hub 50g lighter but not aero. So both Alpinist and Roval rims are really reinforced got heavier.