Kask Protone Icon 2022 Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

I pre-ordered mine from biketiresdirect. Doesn’t look like it’ll ship until July.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Jonolsson

by Jonolsson

andreas wrote:2 reviews on Wiggle say the cradle wheel broke within 10 seconds https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-protone-i ... elmet-wg11

Would be interesting to know whether it is a design flaw or a QC issue on the first batch.
I had a crash on Sunday and yesterday I went to my friend's shop for a new protone. The cradle wheel broke in the shopImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phillyt1988

by phillyt1988

Received mine yesterday, first ride out and it seems the sweat management is certainly better however still not perfect. Does feel more comfortable though to the previous version, good for someone with a more rounder head like myself in comparison with uncomfortable MIPS equivalents.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Personally , I can't imagine a more comfortable helmet than this. Plus it's light and aero, and even here in Mallorca (31´C) today, no ventilation problems.

The Valegro was incredibly uncomfy. I lasted about 3 rides with it.

BBres

by BBres

I crashed yesterday during a race and will be replacing my scratched and bumped Protone.

Is there any difference in terms of dimensions of the helmet? I wear S size in Kask, and I hope the new version will not be any bigger so I won't look like a mushroom.

andreas

by andreas

Wiggle confirmed that Kask has acknowledged & fixed a fault in the retention system, from one of the comments in their reviews:
Thank you for your review.

Kask have identified this issue and all affected units have now been isolated and returned to Kask. We can confirm all our helmets now have the correct retention system, please contact Customer Services for a resolution.

Woland

by Woland

cyclespeed wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:08 pm
Personally , I can't imagine a more comfortable helmet than this. Plus it's light and aero, and even here in Mallorca (31´C) today, no ventilation problems.

How did you find the Valegro uncomfortable? I have one and am very happy with the comfort, but also considering getting the Protone Icon, hence the question.

micky

by micky

The pads inside the helmet of the Valegro are much more thinner than the ones used on the Protone thus give more pressure on a limited space.
If you're "differently hair styled" like myself, it can get a bit unconfortable.
With my old Protone I wasnt having this sort of issue.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They added a horizontal brow pad to the Valegro and it improves comfort quite a bit.

micky

by micky

I didnt know about the "revised" pads and I might give it a try.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Woland wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:22 am
cyclespeed wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:08 pm

How did you find the Valegro uncomfortable? I have one and am very happy with the comfort, but also considering getting the Protone Icon, hence the question.
It was really uncomfy around the front of my head, lots of pressure and scratchiness. But then I am 'follically challenged', :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

micky wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:10 am
I didnt know about the "revised" pads and I might give it a try.

micky

by micky

Cheers for the picture.
I just ordered a set of new pads to see if it improve the comfort.

Woland

by Woland

A genuine question: why is the Protone considered aero? Is there any data to back it up or is it just based on Kask's marketing spiel? I've never seen any data presented anywhere, happy to be proven wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Woland wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:55 am
A genuine question: why is the Protone considered aero? Is there any data to back it up or is it just based on Kask's marketing spiel? I've never seen any data presented anywhere, happy to be proven wrong.
Forget about proving it. You can't validate wind tunnel aero results in real world situations. Use common sense. Less vents means more aero.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10