Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

legstrong

by legstrong

scottydonald wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am
legstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 pm
Just had a similar failure like some people here. The sealant completely dried out just 1 month after replenisher top off. Fortunately, I was able to ride back home with 10 psi or less in my rear tire.

I'm switching to OS endurance.

Any idea how to remove this silca sealant layer on my tire? It completely covered my tire interior. It is hard to remove and break off easily.
I wet mine with warm water, then scrubbed - took me 30 minutes a tyre to get them new ish! I hate Silca still a month later!
Just tried your method. It did not improve. The sealant still hard to be scraped off and broke off easily. Do you use a tool to scrape/clean it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottydonald

by scottydonald

legstrong wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:03 pm
scottydonald wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am
legstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 pm
Just had a similar failure like some people here. The sealant completely dried out just 1 month after replenisher top off. Fortunately, I was able to ride back home with 10 psi or less in my rear tire.

I'm switching to OS endurance.

Any idea how to remove this silca sealant layer on my tire? It completely covered my tire interior. It is hard to remove and break off easily.
I wet mine with warm water, then scrubbed - took me 30 minutes a tyre to get them new ish! I hate Silca still a month later!
Just tried your method. It did not improve. The sealant still hard to be scraped off and broke off easily. Do you use a tool to scrape/clean it?
used this brush - https://www.josephjoseph.com/products/c ... ubber-blue

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

Dizzy wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:05 pm
This forum has an extremely negative bias. Post anything positive and watch it be ignored.

So let me try a more negative tone!

Seriously... The printing coming off rim tape is not exactly world ending. The product being sticky on hands...? Yeah, you're touching it that much? Try gloves. Some of us never had any balled-up fibers and Silca have already acknowledged that and made changes to their process to avoid it. And it can be injected through the valve with the replenisher, just not on the initial setup.

Regular Stan's has failed to seal so many holes in the past for me. And strangely, that's what I want a sealant to do. Seal holes. But somehow that's not a failed product because I can insert more of something that doesn't work very well through the valve?

From Silca's update, it does sound like they're responding to some of these issues anyway, but regardless, some of us really are having the positive experiences Silca also describes in that same post.
I had wasted too much time on unmounting/remounting the tires to check if the carbon fiber had turned into balls - they did from two different bottles of Silca sealant purchased a couple of months apart - so i went back to Orange Seal Endurance which i know has worked well for me in the past. I'll wait a couple of years for Silca to figure out what's wrong with its sealant before i will consider giving it another try.

MikeD

by MikeD

I can see cleaning dried sealant from the tire beads, but why bother cleaning it from the rest of the casing?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:58 pm
I can see cleaning dried sealant from the tire beads, but why bother cleaning it from the rest of the casing?
With Orange Seal it’s simply a matter of why not? It peels off in one big sheet.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is dried Orange Seal from a single tire (40mm gravel tire) after a year.

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeD

by MikeD

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:03 pm
This is dried Orange Seal from a single tire (40mm gravel tire) after a year.

ps Tapatalk is having fits and I can't post a pic.
Lately, Tapatalk is slower than molasses in winter on this forum. The web interface seems speedy though. Having the same problem on roadbikereview.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:39 pm
MikeD wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:58 pm
With Orange Seal it’s simply a matter of why not? It peels off in one big sheet.
Not always. I think that depends on the inside of the tire; maybe the coating, surface roughness, silicone mold release... I had a devil of a time on my mountain bike tires. I'm going to try a stiff bristle brush next.

legstrong

by legstrong

I managed to remove dried silca sealant off from both of my tires. It was weird that one tire took only 30 minutes while the other took 2 hrs to completely peeled them off. :noidea: It was truly a labor intensive operation.

robertoguinn

by robertoguinn

I unseated my 40mm Maxxis Ramblers to have a look at the Silca sealant after a few months and found plenty of milky fluid. I also found a nail embedded, which I yanked out of course. That hole sealed up pretty quick when I reinflated.

I didn't see any carbon strands or carbon balls, and the inside of the tyre had a normal-looking coat of sealant. I've got Stans yellowish, no-logo rim tape, so nothing unusual there either. It appears that all the carbon strands coagulated at the bead, and I pulled the pictured strands off pretty easily. I left the rest on the bead, emptied all my remaining Silca sealant into the tyres, reinflated and it seems fine. I'm hoping the fluid in the SIlca is similar to the fluid in any other sealant, and if I get a hole, it'll seal up like any other brand. Since all the carbon strands are lodged in the bead area, I'm not expecting big holes will seal. There are effectively no carbon strands in the sealant, and there's nothing special about this sealant at all now. It just costs more. Like many others on this thread, I'm going back to Orange Seal Endurance. As advertised, this product is a failure.

Next hole I get, I'll find out if the Silca fluid is the same as OS fluid. I've got tons in there, and if it doesn't clot, I'll end up painting the ground pretty thoroughly.
Attachments
silca.JPG
children trust me

kode54

by kode54

pdlpsher1 wrote:This is dried Orange Seal from a single tire (40mm gravel tire) after a year.

Wow! Am I seeing that correctly at 32g?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kode54 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:01 pm
Wow! Am I seeing that correctly at 32g?

It’s a year’s worth of sealant from a 40mm gravel tire in a dry climate. Including refills, he probably used somewhere around 240mg of liquid Orange Seal in that tire

Look at how easy it came off though.

wltz

by wltz

Okay, so the Silca sealant failed to seal this hole which is not even 2mm wide. This is a brand new tyre mounted last week, all instructions followed. The sealant just sprayed all over until the pressure got to about 20 psi, and it started spraying again as soon as I reinflated it over 30 psi. Thankfully I had a small emergency bottle of Orange on me, which was added through the valve to whatever was left in the tyre and did the job on the spot. I got the tyre to about 65 psi and carried on riding, no issues. To say I'm not impressed is an understatement.
Attachments
C962DA70-C8B5-4879-B42A-B0E49E2D5CC7.jpeg

RidinTukker

by RidinTukker

whataboutEee wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:13 am
manystyles wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:35 pm
whataboutEee wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:35 pm
My guess is what’s happening is the balled up carbon is rattling around in the tire and abrading the tape slowly. The less likely scenario is that one of the liquids is dissolving the tape. This would become obvious because the edges of the tap would look ragged. If the middle is more worn, then it’s the carbon balls IMO.
Silca addresses this on their website, and it is the liquid breaking down some tapes that have printing on them, which is pretty much most wheels if they come taped.
That’s good to know, one less thing to speculate, but where is it mentioned?

I only see the problems with bottling and more porous tires mentioned on the sealant’s product page: https://silca.cc/collections/tubeless/p ... -fiberfoam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have a blog post talking about the issues they are having https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/sealant-update
Just read through their blog post. Thanks! Very honest and transparent!

ipaul

by ipaul

So I got my first flat using this sealant and can't say it was as good as I'd had hoped. Keep in mind I applied the origami fiber stuff about 3 months and recently added the replenisher. Lots of replenisher sealant spat out and just wouldn't seal without help keeping finger on hole. Hole was no more than 2-3 mm and ended up plugging, but may have eventually sealed on its own.
So after pulling tire I noticed lots of dried up sealant and tight clumps of carbon throughout. Replenisher was still liquid.
My thinking here is though a fresh install with carbon stuff may and most likely would work as advertised, however if it dries up suspending the carbon fiber, I just can't see how adding replenisher will "mix" again with the fibers. They are stuck in cocoons.
For me I'll just finish off the normal stuff and re-add as the year progresses. After that back to orange seal or try another. Replenisher to me is a waste.
:P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com