Open MIN.D. California - The spiritual sequel to Cervelo R5CA & RCA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bobones wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:54 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:02 am
Name a lighter endurance bike.
Raw carbon TCR Advanced SL disc is 765g. Run with 15mm of spacers to make it an "endurance" bike. Pocket €5k.

Gosh, then why doesn't eveyone just buy race bikes? Everyone should buy H1 geometry Treks and use 4cm in spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:20 am
bobones wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Raw carbon TCR Advanced SL disc is 765g. Run with 15mm of spacers to make it an "endurance" bike. Pocket €5k.

Gosh, then why doesn't eveyone just buy race bikes? Everyone should buy H1 geometry Treks and use 4cm in spacers.
If a "race" bike is €5k cheaper and effectively has same geometry as "endurance" bike with some spacers, then why not?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bobones wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 am

If a "race" bike is €5k cheaper and effectively has same geometry as "endurance" bike with some spacers, then why not?

Because that means it's not the same geometry. Someone who already has 1.5cm in spacers on an endurance bike would then need more like 3cm on a race bike.

Likewise you can't just tell everyone to use a -17deg stem on an endurance bike to get a racier fit. Some of us already have slammed -17deg stems on our race bikes.

bobones

by bobones

In edge cases it may not be viable, but for many the difference between an endurance and race geometry is just a few spacers or negative angled stem.

Anyway, the TCR example is mainly to highlight the poor VFM of this frameset. They're taking the p*ss IMO.

alanyu

by alanyu

bobones wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:03 am
In edge cases it may not be viable, but for many the difference between an endurance and race geometry is just a few spacers or negative angled stem.
Endurance bike usually has a longer chainstay and a higher trail, and a more compliance rear triangle, which is a different riding quality. (stablitiy vs agilement, comfort vs stiffness, etc.) E.g. TCR vs Defy

A same dailed-in geometry (keeping the same effective reach, stack, saddle position) can not reproduce everthing racing vs. endurance.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bobones wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:20 am
bobones wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

This is such a great point because I have noticed that everyone rides endurance bikes slammed oh wait no.

eric01

by eric01

I read the web site. “75 grams lighter yet stiffer in all directions except in the continuous seattube (where it actually provides even more flex than the original MIN.D. This combination makes the ride something very special.”

Okay so i retract my previous “it’s just lack of paint” statement.

Still it’s a steep upcharge to go from 3700 usd to 7500 usd for the California version. It’s a crazy bike market now… why not? Can’t blame them.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

flow

by flow

At first I thought shit I bought my mind 6 weeks ago…but 4K for 90g is a bad deal. I did a custom saddle mount instead of the ritchey stubby which saved me 70g. The Paint on my frame has about 25g

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

flow

by flow

At first I thought i bought my mind 6 weeks ago to early…but 4K for 90g is a bad deal. I did a custom saddle mount instead of the ritchey stubby which saved me 70g. The Paint on my frame has about 25g

trainergav

by trainergav

bobones wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:05 pm
I'll just take a TCR Advanced SL frameset and pocket the €5k change, thank you very much. :roll:
I'm not sure why people have to keep on bringing up Giant's whenever they want to say that another bike is overpriced. If cost was the only factor in a bike purchase we'd all be riding Giant whatever's or some open mold bike. Giants are clearly great value for the money but the person who into their bikes is usually not the same person who is into Open's.

I am not interested in the MIND, but have an U.P. and it's a sweet bike and love what Gerard and Andy have done with their brand.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

me too , except their voids in chainstays,

Clean39T

by Clean39T

flow wrote:At first I thought shit I bought my mind 6 weeks ago…but 4K for 90g is a bad deal. I did a custom saddle mount instead of the ritchey stubby which saved me 70g. The Paint on my frame has about 25g

Any info you can share on that custom saddle mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markdjr

by markdjr

When they first announced the California, I was also disappointed they didn't go for lighter weight, especially considering the response the Aethos has received. I got to go on a short ride on the California recently and I was surprised by how good it felt. It really did feel more comfortable and stiffer than the standard MIND. Whether or not it's worth the premium price is an individual question.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Lol did you guys gals saw the photos of actual open mind california ?
What a *f##k* poor quality , wrinkles everywhere, bb area very nasty and oval to the eyes
Will link some pictures

It is appealing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

The reality is the tape laying robot that lays down the layup schedule for a Specialized Aethos does a better job than a human 'expert' doing it in an artisan lab in California