Which Crankset/BB for Cannondale BB30a

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

As a follow up to the crankset axle wear thread, I am left with this nasty decision.

The weightweenie route is a light BB30 crank but axle wear makes this is a very short term solution based on past experience.

The drive train is Sram 10 speed - actually the best shifting bike I have had. If BB30 is out, do I stick a Sram GXP in there with a conversion bottom bracket like WheelsMfg? Seems insane to add a heavy bottom bracket and heavier crankset, but it gets me a steel spindle which will solve the wear problem. It's a fender bike so perhaps I am being stupid thinking about weight.

Sram Dub might be better with the nylon reducers but I need a 50 tooth big ring. And I am not keen on being limited to proprietary chainrings, particularely those from Sram - the shifting degrades so quickly. At least with older Sram you can fit Praxis rings.

What else? Doesn't seem like a lot of options out there.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sram GXP is a fine choice. I have used it before and not had any issues. It's a better choice than anything else with an aluminum axle. Rotor also has some crank options with 24mm axles as well.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@pdlpsher1, I was leaning in that direction. What bottom bracket(s) have you had success with for GXP in BB30A shells?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I used the Praxis PF30 to GXP converter. It doesn't use a plastic reducer so it's steel on steel. No issues.