What's a fair price for a non S-works SL7 (used, in this market)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chiltonp

by chiltonp

S-works level Tarmac prices have gotten out of my reach.

I've found a black SL7 frame local to me that was built up with ETAP AXS w/ Quarq, CLX50's, Aerofly 2 bar and comes with both 0 offset post and 20mm offfset post. Bike apears to be in great shape and has around 1,500 miles. He's asking $8k USD. I know I can order a Emonda SLR (Ultegra di2) or Scott Addict (DA di2) for around $8,800 USD + taxes. But when will I get it?

A comparable S-Works SL7 new would be in the $13K range. Given current market condiions is the $8K reasonable, (got him down from 8,500)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

$8K is the price for a new non-Sworks SL7. Personally, I just couldn't pay an almost new price for a used bike with zero warranty. Unless you are totally desperate for a bike to ride, I'd just put in an order at the Specialized dealership. At minimum, ask them what they can get.

fsp15923

by fsp15923

Isnt the difference between a non sworks vs a sworks sl7, the paint job? Second hand price is within range based on components that come with the frame but it may not necessarily be what you want.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by fsp15923 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgrl

by mgrl

fsp15923 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:59 pm
Isnt the difference between a non sworks vs a sworks sl7, the paint job?
And weight. Not a great deal, but it never is.

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Yea, $8k is the price for new non S-works SL7 but that's also with Ultegra or Force AXS so this woud be a nicer drivetrain and nicer wheels arguably.

Really only difference in non S-works is around 150 grams heavier from what I hear, this is the matte black raw carbon frame so it may be pretty light anyway. Hard to tell if this is a good deal because Specialized doesn't spec a bike this way, this was built up from a frame.

To add a layer to your thinking, if we make the deal he's actually taking my 2018 S-works SL6 rim brake bike plus $3K, so i'm getting roughly $5K for my bike without the hassle of selling it and really only going out of pocket $3K.

fsp15923

by fsp15923

mgrl wrote:
fsp15923 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:59 pm
Isnt the difference between a non sworks vs a sworks sl7, the paint job?
And weight. Not a great deal, but it never is.
Yes the paint makes it heavier or am I missing something here? What are the ones you find on Alieexpress?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

fsp15923 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:06 pm
Yes the paint makes it heavier or am I missing something here? What are the ones you find on Alieexpress?
The S-Works version of the frame uses a higher grade of carbon. Whether one thinks this is worth the price premium is a different question altogether. What does Aliexpress have to do with it? You are not going to find a real Tarmac there.

AJS914

by AJS914

chiltonp wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:16 pm
To add a layer to your thinking, if we make the deal he's actually taking my 2018 S-works SL6 rim brake bike plus $3K, so i'm getting roughly $5K for my bike without the hassle of selling it and really only going out of pocket $3K.
If you add up the SL7, it's like $9K retail in parts. $8k for used still seems high to me but the market currently is kind of crazy. I'm used to paying 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of retail for used bikes. But the market is abnormal right now. If you think $5K is really good for your SL6 then maybe it's an ok deal.

chiltonp

by chiltonp

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 pm
chiltonp wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:16 pm
If you add up the SL7, it's like $9K retail in parts. $8k for used still seems high to me but the market currently is kind of crazy. I'm used to paying 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of retail for used bikes. But the market is abnormal right now. If you think $5K is really good for your SL6 then maybe it's an ok deal.
My thinking too, outside of this current market I won't be getting $5K for an S-works SL6 so factoring that into it as well.

garbageman

by garbageman

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm
Personally, I just couldn't pay an almost new price for a used bike with zero warranty.
Specialized gives warranty coverage to second (or later) owners for 2 years from the original retail purchase date with proof of the original retail purchase.

AJS914

by AJS914

That's interesting. I didn't know that. It's still not very long and wouldn't make me want to pay $8K for a $9K retail bike. If I like a frame, I'll keep it for 5-10+ years.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

chiltonp wrote:Yea, $8k is the price for new non S-works SL7 but that's also with Ultegra or Force AXS so this woud be a nicer drivetrain and nicer wheels arguably.

Really only difference in non S-works is around 150 grams heavier from what I hear, this is the matte black raw carbon frame so it may be pretty light anyway. Hard to tell if this is a good deal because Specialized doesn't spec a bike this way, this was built up from a frame.

That’s the most value - if you even want to call it that to get into an SL7 and that matte black Pro model is probably comparable to a heavily painted solid color SWORKS in weight.

As for the carbon, no one here is going to probably notice any ride quality difference. I’ve had both.

The SWORKS on the downtube helps with some peoples ego. Heck, SWORKS decals weren’t even used at Tokyo Olympics, Specialized instead. Just say it’s an Olympic version Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

I'm in Australia so can't comment on the prices. Just your situation.

I wanted a mountain bike. I have a connection to buy my preferred brand at wholesale. But no stock for a year. I wanted the top end fancy pants bike.

I found the low end bike second hand for the same price as wholesale. Even though it was in very good condition, barely used, I thought I was absolutely nuts to buy a second hand bike for close to what a new one is. Warranty was a consideration, but I've owned a lot of bikes in my life and never needed to claim warranty on any of them.

Fast forward six months. That's long forgotten. I have a bike, I enjoy riding it, (I custom painted it - goodbye warranty anyway), and I can't say the fact that it's regular carbon not high mod carbon is holding me back.

The fact that you get rid of your old bike and don't have to bother with selling it is worth a fair bit in my book.

It seems like you think the situation is acceptable, so go for it. Enjoy your new bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

grover wrote:I'm in Australia so can't comment on the prices. Just your situation.

I wanted a mountain bike. I have a connection to buy my preferred brand at wholesale. But no stock for a year. I wanted the top end fancy pants bike.

I found the low end bike second hand for the same price as wholesale. Even though it was in very good condition, barely used, I thought I was absolutely nuts to buy a second hand bike for close to what a new one is. Warranty was a consideration, but I've owned a lot of bikes in my life and never needed to claim warranty on any of them.

Fast forward six months. That's long forgotten. I have a bike, I enjoy riding it, (I custom painted it - goodbye warranty anyway), and I can't say the fact that it's regular carbon not high mod carbon is holding me back.

The fact that you get rid of your old bike and don't have to bother with selling it is worth a fair bit in my book.

It seems like you think the situation is acceptable, so go for it. Enjoy your new bike!
Second that!

Plus you’re getting 5k for your rim brake SL6! It’s hit and miss with the sale of rim brake Tarmacs - some people are super nostalgic about them and fetch a good price others won’t pay $1500 for the frameset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk