Easiest pedals to clip into?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ff119

by ff119

I'm very light and have seen people complain it makes it harder to clip in. I need a new pedal for the new bike and thought I'd finally try clipless (or one with both sides or the ability to use trainers if needed)

Any suggestions? Even the speedplay zero I've seen people struggle with so I'm not sure what to try

Konsi

by Konsi

Time Xpresso is easier to clip in than my Shimano (MTB) SPD system ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Old Speedplay Zeros have normal tension and can be slightly vague to clip into once the bodies are worn. Speedplay Light Actions have less binding tension, but they weren’t carried over by Wahoo. Look also used to have “KeO Easy” pedals, but those also seem to be discontinued.

For 3-bolt systems, Time Iclic style are probably easiest to clip into. Shimano SPD-SL are also easier to clip into than Look KeO in practice.

You’ve also got the option of using various 2-bolt systems. Crank Brothers EggBeaters are extremely easy to engage.

C36

by C36

Easiest are the Time since they are “open” by default and “close” when you press the pedal. Quite unique and effective as concept.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

joejack951

by joejack951

LOOK Quartz MTB pedals with properly shimmed cleats. Easiest pedal I’ve ever used and the reason why I commuted on them for years. Not that easy to find now. Luckily I have two good pairs and a few spare cleat sets. For reference, I’ve also used Shimano SPD and SPD-SL as well as Crank Brothers Candy pedals (similar to Eggbeaters).

jlok

by jlok

+1 to Time pedals for the easiest clip in.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I've used Speedplay Zero, Shimano SPD SL, SPD (mountain/gravel style), Time Impact, Time RXS, and Time XPro. Time Xpro is astonishingly easy to clip in and out of. The only issue I've had, is that they don't always "rest" with the entry side up; however, that's not really been a problem for me in actual use as the pedals are quite long and easy to "flip" the right way up with the tip of my toe, if necessary.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Double sided SPD is a good system to start out with I think.

If you want to jump directly to something solid then try Look based (not necessarily look branded).

You can set the spring tension on low at first so you don't feel too awkward being "stuck". Then turn up the tension as you get used to it. Keep it low for at least 10 rides because in the beginning we tend to forget we're clipped in.

Some pedals (not systems) are just shit for beginners because the bearings are too draggy or they don't have a heavy end. That means that unclipped, the pedal can be in any position which is just frustrating. As long as it always drops to a certain position you can practice clipping in from there. With a low spring tension you won't feel awkward.

I've seen Look branded pedals with the problems I described, and Time Xpresso pedals too, not returning to the same unclipped position.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

I'd say most of 'mint' pedals and cleats are hard to clip in. Which means you'll feel easier with any pedals as time passes.

ff119

by ff119

Had a suggestion for look but not time before so will go look at them.

I've had several mention ski bindings and how "aren't those easy" to clip in but ummm no they aren't either. Tension and weight. Some things are just different being lighter

sennder

by sennder

If you're not bound to road pedals, the absolute easiest pedals I've ever tried are the Shimano Click'r pedals. Bought them to start my brother off with clipless pedals. They clip in if you look at them funny.

ff119

by ff119

sennder wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 am
If you're not bound to road pedals, the absolute easiest pedals I've ever tried are the Shimano Click'r pedals. Bought them to start my brother off with clipless pedals. They clip in if you look at them funny.
Not in any system yet.

Anyone heard of these? https://www.bythlon.co.uk/

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ff119 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am

Not in any system yet.

Anyone heard of these? https://www.bythlon.co.uk/

So you're forced to use 3-bolt road shoes, and you have to walk on the cleat's "keyed" portion? At least with real walkable clipless cleats, the rear snap-in plate doesn't actually touch the ground.

You are better off just riding with regular shoes and flats.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

How light are you? Shimano makes a light version of their SPD SL’s, their normal mtb SPD’s can also have very little tension.

illogict

by illogict

I use the Shimano PD-T8000 for commuting. Not quite WW (392g), but they have both an SPD side and a flat one. I can't really comment on whether it would be easy to clip-in as I weigh around 80kg, but it feels ok to me. You can adjust the tension if needed.
As stated previously, the Click’r pedals from Shimano (PD-T421) are supposedly easier to use. You may want to test them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com