Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

RyanH wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:59 am
chorus88 wrote: Rolex hold value because they are great watches & are the best looking watches around (Absolute CLASSICS-Submariner, DateJust, Daytona etc).
I purchased my Rolex in 1989 & the watch has been serviced twice @ RSC (Rolex Service Centre) in Toronto.
I purchased another Jubilee bracelet directly from Rolex Canada in 2021.
The replacement NOS Jubilee bracelet (D01) was manufactured before my Rolex (L-series).
Incredible, Rolex Canada still have replacement parts from the 1980s.
15000-RSC01.JPG

Campagnolo is not Rolex
Yawn...Rolex are retirement watches...

With that being said, Rolex, Ferrari and Hermes are masters of the manufactured scarcity game (making you earn your way into the club to get the good stuff). Campagnolo is not the same category. Campagnolo is a brand that has a romantic past characterized by beautiful products and now they just make questionable looking, overpriced products, milking the last dollars out of their fan boys.
This is the best Campa description I have ever read, fully agree!
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenCousins

by BenCousins

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:50 pm

Campagnolo has priced me out. And at 57 years old, I have my highest networth ever but I just refuse to pay $5000 for a groupset. It's just not worth it to me because it feels ridiculous. Similarly, I won't pay $15,000 for a stainless Rolex because intrinsicly it's just not worth it when comparable stainless 5000M dive watches can be bought for $2500. If want Rolex on your wrist at that price, you care about the name.
Also I can afford Campag, but the issue isn't that the price is too high. The issue is that it simply doesn't work well. I used to think that the unrealiable shifting I experienced on Super Record mechanical over the years was a limitation of cables, then I ride EPS for six months and it has the same issues. I then rent Shimano bikes for several weeks and they work perfectly.
AJS914 wrote:
I don't know why electronics seem difficult and so expensive for Campagnolo.
Because that requires thinking outside of their 'heritage' box rather than looking for the best solution in an objective way. Same reason many companies miss generational shifts and fail to modernise.
AJS914 wrote:
Don't tell me that a $5 microchip and some wires attached justifies the price. It's $500 because they decided that it would be $500.
I don't know if you've ever worked in product/service development and/or marketing, but you only price relative to cost until you get to a profit (if you seek profit), and any increase beyond that is about balancing elasticity of demand for maximum profit. In a digital economy, there's plenty of things that people buy for hundreds of dollars that literally cost zero dollars to 'produce'.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

BenCousins wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:25 am
Also I can afford Campag, but the issue isn't that the price is too high. The issue is that it simply doesn't work well. I used to think that the unrealiable shifting I experienced on Super Record mechanical over the years was a limitation of cables, then I ride EPS for six months and it has the same issues. I then rent Shimano bikes for several weeks and they work perfectly.
Maybe change your mechanic? I have zero issues with perfect shifting on mechanical Campy. I have been riding Di2 12s for the past week and it was not shifting better than my R12. In fact, the lack of mechanical tactile feeling reminded me why I sold my last electric groupset 4 years ago.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

HiFi

by HiFi

Super Record WRL list price is just 20% higher than Dura-Ace. 20% is not a lot of difference in most consumer segments (cars, phones, laptops, etc). I have even seen comments that WRL is priced for billionaires. Please, some perspective, a 20% price difference would hardly raise an eyebrow in the world of maserati, lamborghini, bentley, ferrari, nor does the fact that these brands are 1,000% the cost of more utilitarian brands. Why do cyclists get so wound up about 20%?

MichaelK

by MichaelK

You really don't want to know what the difference is at cost price.

HiFi

by HiFi

No, I don't.

morrisond

by morrisond

MichaelK wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:49 pm
You really don't want to know what the difference is at cost price.
I do - no need to give actual numbers just %, as in Dura Ace cost is x% of WRL.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

gorkypl wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 am
BenCousins wrote:
Maybe change your mechanic? I have zero issues with perfect shifting on mechanical Campy.
Oh that's it! I'm just not a good enough mechanic! "Real" mechanics are skilled enough do the extra little bit of work that finely crafted products like Campganolo need. What horseshit. It's badly made and not worth the money. I've gone from EPS to mechanical 105 and it feels like an upgrade.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

BenCousins wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:40 pm
gorkypl wrote:
BenCousins wrote:
Maybe change your mechanic? I have zero issues with perfect shifting on mechanical Campy.
Oh that's it! I'm just not a good enough mechanic! "Real" mechanics are skilled enough do the extra little bit of work that finely crafted products like Campganolo need. What horseshit. It's badly made and not worth the money. I've gone from EPS to mechanical 105 and it feels like an upgrade.
I dunno.. 1X11S EPS, 1X11s EPS TT, 4XEPS 12s and zero issues with shifting on anything.. on 6 bikes in 7 years besides normal new chain and brake cable maintenance Ive installed one new set of CULT crank bearings after 7 years on my SRM, and had one handlebar DTI on the 12s do whaky stuff that I hunted for a while.. Campagnolo needs no extra care in my opinion, Im not doubting your mechanical abilities, I just RTFM and watched the online videos...

usr

by usr

If your shifting quality metric happens to be aligned with the smooth but perhaps delayed by a few teeth shifting Shimano offers, then no amount of setup perfection will make you like the clangy immediacy of Campagnolo. Simple as that. Sora will match that taste better than Super Record.

Miller

by Miller

BenCousins wrote:
I try and stay out of these arguments but... I have two EPS 2x11 bikes currently and shifting is exemplary on both of them. The mechs are built like tanks; they are beautifully made, possibly too well made in the modern climate of cost engineering.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

usr wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:54 pm
If your shifting quality metric happens to be aligned with the smooth but perhaps delayed by a few teeth shifting Shimano offers, then no amount of setup perfection will make you like the clangy immediacy of Campagnolo. Simple as that. Sora will match that taste better than Super Record.
At direct odds with my experience. Campag spongy and uncertain, Shimano slamming into place.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

BenCousins wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm
usr wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:54 pm
At direct odds with my experience. Campag spongy and uncertain, Shimano slamming into place.
I build up all of my own bikes, but am not a trained mechanic, I find Campag quick, easy and unfussy to set up. I would describe Campag shifting as slamming rapidly into gear with a clunk, no sponginess whatsoever.

m4k1

by m4k1

BenCousins wrote:
gorkypl wrote:
BenCousins wrote:
Seems like it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I've ridden Campag and Shimano for nearly 30 years and never had any shifting issues that couldn't be solved by the turn of a barrel adjuster
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde