2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:30 pm
I was going to wait until I hear back from Canyon to post, but I guess it won't change what they find really.

The bike only has 2 rides really that have totaled about 59 miles, maybe a couple miles here and there just rolling up and down my street in front of my house. Seatpost after this mileage is still perfect, but that's probably to be expected. Still, there isn't even a tiny mark on it. I've only greased it once and have never used carbon paste on the bottom front area of the smaller post.

The concerning part for me is what I found after the second ride. I clean my bike after every ride pretty meticulously so I'm certain that I would have seen this after the first ride and even delivery if it was there. The two rides that I took the bike on were nothing crazy and were farily laid back with a couple nice descents on the last ride. (non on the drop bars either) I didn't hit anything, the bike hasn't been crashed, tipped over, had something drop on it or even looked at wrong. Heck, the area is pretty well sheltered by the chain ring and chain. I'm hoping that Canyon has me ship it back and warranties it, atleast the frame that is, otherwise I really don't feel safe riding it even after the drop bars are replaced. I have no idea if there is some sort of stress crack in the carbon that did this, or if it's just bad paint. Either way I feel like it is a warranty eligible claim, especially for only having 60 miles on it. :noidea:

I haven't had to deal with a warranty claim with my other Aeroad ever so hopefully it goes smoothly.
I would hope they will immediately ask you not to ride it, and have it shipped back immediately. Superficially, it looks like you were one small pothole away from a catastrophic failure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yeah that dont look to good from here
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Ya, there's no way I would swing a leg over the bike now even if there weren't other ongoing issues.

I did the quarter tap test in the area but can't really tell to be honest. I think I would have to remove the crank to gain access for a better tap test but really at this point it doesn't matter. My initial thoughts though were...hmm, paint chips usually don't happen in a straight line like this unless something underneath the paint is stressed in a straight line. I have had superficial paint chips on other carbon bikes from rocks etc and they stay localized to the paint impact area unless primer/paint adhesion was very poor. But even then, I haven't seen paint come off in a straight line like this.

I have filed a formal warranty claim and Canyon said they will respond in about a week or so. I get it, things happen, it's down to how they handle the situation now. I will ride my other Aeroad in the meantime and box up the new one, glad I kept the box and didn't sell the wheels!

Cannoli

by Cannoli

That's pretty crazy. It looks like there was a QC issue on that frame (or batch of frames?). It's the SLX, correct?

Slightly changing topics, I have over 1500 miles on my CFR and the seatpost looks brand new. I'm at the 4.5cm mark on my Small for more info.

Please keep us posted as to how Canyon USA responds. My only warranty issue with my Ultimate has to do with the front derailleur, and Canyon punted me to Shimano. Not terribly happy about that.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

CamW

by CamW

I'm not sure how exactly the Aeroads are put togethor but its pretty common for two frame subsections to be bonded in that area of the chainstay. Seems like there was a pretty serious bonding issue!

tomtom

by tomtom

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:27 pm
usr wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:57 pm
I can see your point, that BB port seems a bit weird in a frame that doesn't have a single variant able to run mechanical.
it makes it easier to remove a shimano di2 battery
No, it makes it much harder; you have to remove the BB before you can remove the battery. And the mounting is very tricky and unpleasant :-)! Imo it is a stupid (and ugly) solution for a little weightdistribution gain. The only "benefit" is that the battery has less chance of becomming wet/dirty in the seatpost. I have installed my batteries there in Ultimate mechanical disc and Aeroad mechanical disc frames and was suprised how much dirt/water they cashed there (but that shouldn't be a problem)!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tomtom

by tomtom

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:14 am
Ya, there's no way I would swing a leg over the bike now even if there weren't other ongoing issues.

I did the quarter tap test in the area but can't really tell to be honest. I think I would have to remove the crank to gain access for a better tap test but really at this point it doesn't matter. My initial thoughts though were...hmm, paint chips usually don't happen in a straight line like this unless something underneath the paint is stressed in a straight line. I have had superficial paint chips on other carbon bikes from rocks etc and they stay localized to the paint impact area unless primer/paint adhesion was very poor. But even then, I haven't seen paint come off in a straight line like this.

I have filed a formal warranty claim and Canyon said they will respond in about a week or so. I get it, things happen, it's down to how they handle the situation now. I will ride my other Aeroad in the meantime and box up the new one, glad I kept the box and didn't sell the wheels!
Really bad luck I think and hope Canyon will help you out! But replacing the frame with another Aeroad III is probably impossible untill the fall :-(
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

mgrl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:42 pm
yourrealdad wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:19 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but pros have been on this bike for a while now correct? Putting in miles, watts, and torque that most of us only dream of. I don't think we are the beta testers here, its the guys and gals who rely on this for a living who actually ever put these bikes to a test. So I am guessing that Canyon has done their in-house testing to the best of their abilities. Pros would not be using bikes that have know issues that can cause serious harm because it is their livelihood and Canyon wouldn't want that either hopefully from a moral standpoint as well as a business standpoint.

Just saying a video on the possibility of bonded aluminum and carbon failing is talking about what ifs.

Not a Canyon fanboy and honestly probably an ex-customer at this point.
The pros aren't using the special bars any more, they're using CFR frames which have had holes drilled in the headtube for external cabling and then a normal aerobar without integration.
Right, but they had been on them for a while until the MVDP handlebar inccident.

mgrl

by mgrl

yourrealdad wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 pm
Right, but they had been on them for a while until the MVDP handlebar inccident.
Before they discovered the bar design was unsafe it was thought to be safe, correct. But now it has been discovered to be unsafe the pros aren't using it. That doesn't mean it was safe before and has become unsafe, it was always unsafe. That is,this is correct:

"Pros would not be using bikes that have know issues that can cause serious harm because it is their livelihood and Canyon wouldn't want that either hopefully from a moral standpoint as well as a business standpoint."

and that's why they're not using them.

cberg

by cberg

mgrl wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Before they discovered the bar design was unsafe it was thought to be safe, correct. But now it has been discovered to be unsafe the pros aren't using it. That doesn't mean it was safe before and has become unsafe, it was always unsafe. That is,this is correct:
Yes, but them being on the old style handlebars doesnt have anything to do with what the recent video about aluminium bonding. I'm sure they will be back on the integrated cockpit once the new handlebar "ends" or whatever you want to call them (the part that actually failed under MvdP) are available.

usr

by usr

Yes, but there seems to be a bit of a pattern with Canyon abandoning wrapping clamping mechanism in favor of point-pressure clamping. Which is more than just a little wtf. Remember when stems were praised for running their wrapping clamp slit slightly diagonally for better force distribution? The penalty for headon tweeze clamping instead of wrap clamping must be many times bigger than the penalty for straight slit wrap clamping instead of diagonal slit wrap clamping.

It almost seems as if Canyon engineers are just going with the first thing that seems easiest to draw in Autodesk Inventor and then simply add thickness until it supposedly holds.

(btw, never owned a roadbike that wasn't called Ultimate or Aeroad, but I guess I was lucky with the models, e.g. H36 using conventional wrap clamp instead of H31 with its mystery headon bolts)

incognitus

by incognitus

usr wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:46 pm
Yes, but there seems to be a bit of a pattern with Canyon abandoning wrapping clamping mechanism in favor of point-pressure clamping. Which is more than just a little wtf. Remember when stems were praised for running their wrapping clamp slit slightly diagonally for better force distribution? The penalty for headon tweeze clamping instead of wrap clamping must be many times bigger than the penalty for straight slit wrap clamping instead of diagonal slit wrap clamping.

It almost seems as if Canyon engineers are just going with the first thing that seems easiest to draw in Autodesk Inventor and then simply add thickness until it supposedly holds.

(btw, never owned a roadbike that wasn't called Ultimate or Aeroad, but I guess I was lucky with the models, e.g. H36 using conventional wrap clamp instead of H31 with its mystery headon bolts)
Not only Canyon. It seems that the whole industry is on a regressive path when it comes to engineering prowess. The number of offensively stupid design decisions have seemingly exploded lately (see self-destructing head tubes with Cannondale, Cervelo, etc), plus the trend towards non-interchangeable proprietary parts, all for marginal gains. I am in the market for a new top end bike but none of the current models trigger any buy reflex. Might go fully custom, my trust in major bike brands following the most basic engineering standards has waned considerably.

PS: Some engineering thoughts on the Aeroad's bonkers stem clamping mechanism:
https://otbengineering.wordpress.com/20 ... road-2020/

brusknl

by brusknl

I still ride my Aeroad, currently 2000KM.

I had to tighten the headset for the 3rd time since I've got it. I noticed a bit of play during rides (little bit of vibration), then confirmed it back home by holding the front brake and rock back and forth,

Used the tool to for the preload, and tightened the bolt to 9.5Nm this time.

Anyone else experiencing the same?
Canyon Aeroad SLX 8 Di2

inean

by inean

brusknl wrote:I still ride my Aeroad, currently 2000KM.

I had to tighten the headset for the 3rd time since I've got it. I noticed a bit of play during rides (little bit of vibration), then confirmed it back home by holding the front brake and rock back and forth,

Used the tool to for the preload, and tightened the bolt to 9.5Nm this time.

Anyone else experiencing the same?
5000km. 0 problems on stem. It's a CFR by the way.

Enviado desde mi Mi 9 SE mediante Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

usr wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:46 pm
Hahaha, I thought this when I saw the seatube/seatpost fiasco. How do you not design in clearance knowing the seatpost flexed, almost like it was done by an Industrial Designer and not an Engineer. Bonus points for calling out "Autodesk Inventor" instead of the ubiquitous Solidworks.