Custom steel - some options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

DeLuz wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:35 am
I sent Darrell an email and he said there is nothing at the $2K level and shiiping alone is $700.
So that is definitely out.
Yeah, the freight prices have gone a bit silly lately, but his frames hould cost more than they do. If you follow some of his work on his FB page, you'll understand.

Appreeciate the limited budhet though. It wasn't that long ago that I didn't think I'd spend A$6k on a frame, but because I can't travel, the "last bike" got brougfht fwd.

Just some of the detail that goes into his frames ...

Some external lingerie

Some more chainstay/seatstay bridge awesomeness

So, frame is now complete with all its bits & bobs, inlets, hose guides, stays, lingerie (internal & external), seatpost binder, and out of the pickle tank ready for final finishing before being sent to Joe Cosgrove for paint

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Don't forget about Bixxis by Doriano De Rosa.
Superb ride on the Bixxis Prima (custom Columbus Spirit tubes made to spec by Doriano)

Cheers

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Pics and words much appreciated, MichaelB.

Your Llewellyn is something you will keep with increasing appreciation, the polar opposite of what the majority of the greatest and latest only to find that they're looking for a replacement in a year, maybe two or three. Unfortunately this vast majority does not also appreciate the amount of work that goes into a Llewellyn.
Less is more.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

For some reason I kept thinking about Soulrider and the more I look at it the more I like it.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

How about staying local (as much as possible)? Dornbox and Tonic Fabrications are the other two of my 'less-known' and non-lugged suggestions.
Less is more.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

shimmeD wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 pm
How about staying local (as much as possible)? Dornbox and Tonic Fabrications are the other two of my 'less-known' and non-lugged suggestions.
Could not find a working website for Dornbox, wonder if he is still building and selling frames?
Tonic Fab says new website coming soon.
Actually there is a frame builder local here but I cannot afford his prices.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

https://www.bikecad.ca/user/5535 He is working at Independent Fabrications.
https://www.facebook.com/Tonic-Fabricat ... 106059814/ Have not been overly active on FB or the net.

As you can see these are left-field suggestions, kind of.

I managed to locate who I was trying to remember when you said you like some soul. Here, check this out viewtopic.php?t=160564
Less is more.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

shimmeD wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:02 am

Your Llewellyn is something you will keep with increasing appreciation, the polar opposite of what the majority of the greatest and latest only to find that they're looking for a replacement in a year, maybe two or three. Unfortunately this vast majority does not also appreciate the amount of work that goes into a Llewellyn.
Cheers - certainly some amazing hand finishing skills.

Painting is almost complete, so should have it soon to start building it up. :mrgreen:

DeLuz

by DeLuz

shimmeD wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:02 am

I think that is why I want a custom steel bike. Something that will be timeless.
I have a 2015 Cannondale EVO and I like it. But I don't see myself wanting to buy a new carbon bike with prices now easily exceeding $5K and that is if you can even find one. I also doubt a newer carbon bike will be noticably better than my current Cannondale, it will just have dropped seat stays.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I wanted a custom steel for some of the same reasons as the OP. I took the plunge and have been really happy with the result. Over 2 years later and 20k kms of training , road racing, and Zwifting and I have zero interest in a new bike. I completely agree you should try and find a local builder and get involved in the process, it’s great fun and you can learn a lot!
Here are a couple of pics of my process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

DHG01

by DHG01

Very nice bike. Really like how the stem runs paralell to the tube.
What tubes is it built with?

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

DHG01 wrote:Very nice bike. Really like how the stem runs paralell to the tube.
What tubes is it built with?
Hi, the tube set is Dedacciai 16.5 for the main triangle and Columbus XCr for the chain stays and seat stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Beautiful bike. Perfect!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Just out of interest, why did you go for external cable routing?