Suggestions for an aero road round bend handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

echappist

by echappist

It's probably really slim pickings, but I want to know if I'm missing anything.

Top of my head, for bars that were ever in production:
-3T aerotundo. Out of production, also had a ridiculous reach.
-Zipp Vuka Sprint traditional bend. Out of production and was quite rare; I have it on my bike and would be sad if I need to replace it.
-Ritchey Carbon Streem. Only in-production, non-integrated bar I could find.
-Ritchey Solostreem. Similar to above, but integrated with a -6 stem.
-Canyon H11. Integrated, and I think for 1.125 steer.

That's all I could think of. Anyone knows of anything else I'm missing. Ideal would be something in a 38 cm width, but I think that'll be quite difficult to find. I've seen Scott bikes with aero road round bend bars, but those were one-offs for their sponsored riders.

I guess there's also the Bontrager Aero in VR-CF. It could almost pass as a round bend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

When you say round bend, what do you mean exactly?

Personally love the Vibe Aero superlight, but not sure if that is round by your criteria or not.

echappist

by echappist

Round as in classic bend. Like the following (aforementioned Richey Carbon Streem)

alanyu

by alanyu

Deda win and win shallow

echappist

by echappist

alanyu wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:56 pm
Deda win and win shallow
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, if you meant the Vinci and Vinci shallow, those are more of ergo-style

Pierre86

by Pierre86

Basically doesn't exist on the market now bar the Ritcheys that you've mentioned. The round bend Syncros limited run bars are also 1.25 steerer and are basically unobtanium. I'm on rotundo's and would love an aero option but it's just not out there now and probably won't exist again.
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

themidge

by themidge

The bar/stem combo on the new Emonda is another option, it's sort of half way between classic and ergo bend.

It's hard enough to find any classic bend bar, let alone an aero one in 38cm :(

echappist

by echappist

Pierre86 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 am
Basically doesn't exist on the market now bar the Ritcheys that you've mentioned. The round bend Syncros limited run bars are also 1.25 steerer and are basically unobtanium. I'm on rotundo's and would love an aero option but it's just not out there now and probably won't exist again.
Yeah, it really is too bad that manufacturers are ditching classic bends. 3T doesn't even make one anymore. I'm surprised that Ritchey is marching on with its offerings.
themidge wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:22 pm
The bar/stem combo on the new Emonda is another option, it's sort of half way between classic and ergo bend.

It's hard enough to find any classic bend bar, let alone an aero one in 38cm :(
Are you referring to this one? It really could pass for a classic bend

May just have to source a Canyon H11 (which is available in a 39 cm), though it would change my fit a bit, as it's a -6 as opposed to -17

ETA: on second thought, this might not work, as it's for 1.25 steering tube (as opposed to 1.125). Normally, one could buy a shim, but I'm not sure if it's possible. That said, it is available and is certainly a classic round bar.

themidge

by themidge

You could make your own shim - 3d printed plastic would probably be fine, and quite easy.
You could even make it at a slight angle to make the stem -10° or -12° like exists for some Specialized adjustable angle stems.
If you look at photos of a complete bike you can see the the flat part of the drop is angled up quite a bit, so a shim would also improve that i.e. make it closer to horizontal.

^ That's a Madone SLR, I'm not sure if it has exactly the same bend bar as the new Emonda (bontrager xxx or whatever), but they both seem to be the next best thing to a true classic bend.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

How about Prime Primavera Aero bars? Not sure if they qualify as round bend, but they are very comfortable in the drops.

They come in 38cm size and have good internal cable routing.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

themidge

by themidge

They're definitely not really a classic bend, but they seem to be flatter in the drops than many others.

Kind of strange how they have that dished area behind where the hoods go, I guess it's for resting your forearms when in the aero hoods position :noidea:.

bilwit

by bilwit

echappist wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 pm
that's the madone, they're talking about this one

bars: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

bar-stem: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... m/p/32627/

it's not a super wide aero top and the drop isn't as big as a traditional bend

Nickldn

by Nickldn

themidge wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:21 pm
They're definitely not really a classic bend, but they seem to be flatter in the drops than many others.

Kind of strange how they have that dished area behind where the hoods go, I guess it's for resting your forearms when in the aero hoods position :noidea:.
Yeah, the dished area makes the bars more comfortable on long rides, I like it (even though the bars are on my wife's bike, which I ride sometimes).

Overall a well designed handlebar, even has proper di2 integration, well priced too.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

echappist

by echappist

bilwit wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 pm
echappist wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 pm
that's the madone, they're talking about this one

bars: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

bar-stem: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... m/p/32627/

it's not a super wide aero top and the drop isn't as big as a traditional bend
I think it's basically the same bend. Bontrager calls it VR-C/VR-CF (variable radius - compact/ variable radius - compact flare)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slammed

by Slammed

The aerotundo is the ony traditional bend aero bar. I've tried tried lots of aero drops bars but couldn't get along with them because of the bend and not being able to tilt them up. That's why I'm back on round top bars.