Choice tubeless sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darrydonds

by darrydonds

CR987 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am
Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:51 am
Thinking about converting current bike to tubeless since wheels and tyres are tubeless ready anyway, but i am concerned about the sealent drying out and having to remove the tyre to clean and replace.
Is that is something that is required as part of routine maintainence or do you guys just top up the sealent every so often?
Just check it every 3 months. Anyway, you will probably top it up slightly after a puncture. I will be trying the Goodyear tyres since they are supposed to be super easy to seat, even with a foot pump.
I have a compressor and have never had trouble seating Schwalbe Pro One's... stay away from Caldex tyres, they are unbelievably loose and I couldn't get them seated after a 3 hour battle
Do you mean the Cadex tyres?

I read from some folks that the Pro One expands with time, which makes it very difficult to re-mount the tyre on the wheel. Have you had similar experience?

spartacus

by spartacus

I'm using stans but I'm going to switch to ornj eventually. Do I really have to clean out the stans completely to switch?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CR987

by CR987

darrydonds wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 pm
CR987 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am
Andrew69 wrote:
Thinking about converting current bike to tubeless since wheels and tyres are tubeless ready anyway, but i am concerned about the sealent drying out and having to remove the tyre to clean and replace.
Is that is something that is required as part of routine maintainence or do you guys just top up the sealent every so often?
Just check it every 3 months. Anyway, you will probably top it up slightly after a puncture. I will be trying the Goodyear tyres since they are supposed to be super easy to seat, even with a foot pump.
I have a compressor and have never had trouble seating Schwalbe Pro One's... stay away from Caldex tyres, they are unbelievably loose and I couldn't get them seated after a 3 hour battle
Do you mean the Cadex tyres?

I read from some folks that the Pro One expands with time, which makes it very difficult to re-mount the tyre on the wheel. Have you had similar experience?
Yes, sorry, autocorrect. Cadex tyres are unbelievably loose. You can get the tyre on the rim with one hand in 10 seconds.
I have been playing around, testing different sealants on a pair of really old Schwalbe Pro One's and they mount instantly with a quick burst from the compressor (they will mount with a foot pump when new). They have approx 7000kms on them and have been on and off at least 15 times while I stick nails in them and change sealant.
Due to global shortage (I guess) we haven't had Pro One's in South Africa for the past 4/5/6 months. I have been waiting 2 months for a set of the Goodyear F1 which should be arriving this week. I ordered 4 in the 28mm size and apparently they are super easy to mount.

MikeD

by MikeD

GeoffS wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 am
There's a gritty additive in Orange Seal. It feels like sand? Does anyone know what that is? I think the gritty additive helps with the sealing. Do other sealants have additives? I don't think Stan's has it. Not sure about others.
Some sort of glitter I think. At least thats what it looks like when I've washed out some old bottles of Orange Seal.
I don't think OS uses glitter any more, at least I'm not seeing it in the newer bottles I've bought.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I don't see it in the bottle. But it definitely has some shaped particle when drying in my tire.

mag

by mag

spartacus wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm
I'm using stans but I'm going to switch to ornj eventually. Do I really have to clean out the stans completely to switch?
It's a good practice to not mix different sealants (especially synthetic with natural latex based etc), however certain combinations may be ok. Stan's and Orange are both natural latex based so there's some chance here. You can try to mix a little of them and see what happens and whether the mixture still works as intended (on some old tire for example).

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Anyone tried Hutchinson Protect'Air Max already?
I have some bottles and didn't dare to use them yet.

In my experience, Stan Race and Orange Regular work.
Squirt too but can't be refilled by the valve as the grit clogs it.
Pannex works too but stinks strongly ammonia.

Muc-off, will paint you and your frame in a very sticky purple color, but won't plug any hole.

warthog101

by warthog101

Yeah got it in my tyres. All I have used, being a recent tubeless convert.
Seems to work ok.
Dries out in about 4 months.

abatty

by abatty

Good success with Effetto Mariposa over the past 4 years in IRC Formula Pro RBCC 25mm and 28mm. All-year-round riding in flinty South Downs. Won't seal holes over 5mm so always carry a tube just in case. I don't bother with tyre worms. Get some odd minor weeping through sealed holes, but doesn't seem to affect pressure. Drys out over a couple of months so needs checking, and clogs valves over time, so cleaning or replacing valve cores part of maintenance schedule. Probably works better in wider tyres with more volume IMHO.

AJS914

by AJS914

Andrew69 wrote:
I've cleaned out sealant a couple of times and I always found it a waste of time. Now I just keep adding until the tire needs to be changed out. I just went 1.5 years / 5K miles on a GP5000TL with Orange Seal. After all this time there was maybe 15 grams of dried up sealant inside.

AJS914

by AJS914

kppolich wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/500ml-TruckerC ... 1438.l2649

Cheaper than Stans/Orange Seal, comes with a syringe, is more concentrated. No brainer for me and they have mutiple sizes available.
I tried TruckerCo a few years ago in my gravel tires. I found the performance to be below average compared to Stans.

One mistake I make was not reading the TruckerCo directions. They actually wanted you to put twice as much sealant in the tire compared to Stans. You said it was more concentrated - maybe they have changed things?

Once I figured this out and put twice as much TruckerCo in my gravel tires, it worked better. TruckerCo also seemed to dry out faster than Stans so I was adding it more often.

When I used up all the TruckerCo, I switched to Stans and was much happier.

MikeD

by MikeD

Does CO2 affect Orange Seal?

gorkypl

by gorkypl

It's not CO2 but sudden depressurization resulting in temperature drop that kills sealants.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

MikeD

by MikeD

gorkypl wrote:It's not CO2 but sudden depressurization resulting in temperature drop that kills sealants.
I read on VeloNews that it's also pH changes that causes the latex to polymerize.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

MikeD wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:13 pm
gorkypl wrote:It's not CO2 but sudden depressurization resulting in temperature drop that kills sealants.
I read on VeloNews that it's also pH changes that causes the latex to polymerize.
Hmm, do you have some link? I cannot say it's impossible, but quick googling confirms what I remembered:
The reason why latex sealants solidify when using CO2 cartridges is a physical one; it’s the big thermal shock, which often initiates the polymerization of the sealant.
Source: https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... questions/

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s