Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtV

by ArtV

I'd rather NOT know than risk my expensive bike testing poorly......

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

It can't be too far off from all the other very similar looking bikes. I'd guess it's closer to the SSE3
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ArtV wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:06 pm
I'd rather NOT know than risk my expensive bike testing poorly......

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk
Ha, I hear ya. We don't want to know that we left a few watts on the table with our purchase.

As aero testing of bike framesets has evolved, I have become more skeptical, not less as would be assumed. Simplon Pride, Cannondale System Six, Venge Vias, old Madone top the rankings. Now we're all excited about hourglass shaped head tubes which none of the above have. The findings are full of contradiction when you actually look at the bikes. I smell results that are too dependant on testing protocols that could be substantially altered with different but equally valid testing methods. As to whether the testing is applicable to actual use remains unknown, despite some good test with actual riders holding a set power.

Are you wearing shoe covers? 'Cause the gain from aero shoe covers might cover the spread of the top 10 or 15 bikes. The point of course is that while shopping is from the test rankings is not a bad idea, be prepared to see a different ranking from a different test. Whereas investment in every else that is moving down the road including yourself, will deliver more certain gains.

Thrilled with my Ostro and I think it's very fast.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ArtV

by ArtV

Well I am pretty familiar with the rider of my Ostro and I'll bet your Ostro is faster than mine......

I also am pretty skeptical given there are so many variables. Having said that, I watched a video about aero sock testing for the hour record (not sponsored by a sock company) and will probably pick up a pair since they aren't expensive, at least compared to the cost of a bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ArtV wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:20 am
Well I am pretty familiar with the rider of my Ostro and I'll bet your Ostro is faster than mine......
I don't know about that, I can be pretty slow. Look at the bright side of being slow - if you are slow enough, aero doesn't even matter. :D

My Ostro serves it's purpose when I ride with my age group. They are a fit bunch of 45 to 60 year olds, but they are mostly on non-aero bikes, shallow wheels, round bars, non-aero helmets, loose clothes, etc. I must have at least a 20 watt advantage between my Ostro and the rest of my gear, and a bunch more watts just from my postion on the bike. I know a few are as strong or stronger than I am, but they are not faster. The difference really shows up when we get over 45 - 50kmh.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

I wanna replace the stem and headset bolts on my ostro VAM since they by default come in silver and I wanna have them in black to make it clean. Anyone replaced these bolts and can tell me which ones to order?

PMA888

by PMA888

MrRolandos wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm
I wanna replace the stem and headset bolts on my ostro VAM since they by default come in silver and I wanna have them in black to make it clean. Anyone replaced these bolts and can tell me which ones to order?
Check out betterbolts

alanyu

by alanyu

MrRolandos wrote:
aliexpress
Attachments
Screenshot_20240224-211814.png

speedylumberjack

by speedylumberjack

For the previous gen Ostro it looks like the max chainring size is 55t, has anyone tried anything bigger than that? Got a crazy close out deal on a 56/43t and wanna see if I can do something dumb on the Ostro vs saving it for a TT bike.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

alanyu wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
aliexpress
M5x18mm is the correct size for stem?

alanyu

by alanyu

MrRolandos wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:54 pm
alanyu wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
aliexpress
M5x18mm is the correct size for stem?
You should measure yourself

myatsoeoo

by myatsoeoo

I got 2023 Factor Ostro VAM with black inc integrated cockpit. I tired to order the cockpit with Aero bar Extension but have to wait at least 4 months in my Country (Thailand).Any Third Party Aero bar extension available for the normal blackInc cockpit with comes with the frame. As i could not afford to buy a new BlackInc cockpit with Aerobar extension which has to wait 4 months and my orignial bar also be useless with same specifications. Any suggestions to install aero bar extension for orignal black inc integrated cockpit.

PMA888

by PMA888

This might be a silly/stupid question. But my fork insert (that aluminum insert) got damaged, can someone explain the danger of running it without that insert?

aham23

by aham23

Version 1.0

What a great bike. That's all. :)
IMG_8538.jpeg
IMG_7895.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seventyseven

by seventyseven

Anyone use a Hylix seat post for their Ostro? I want the 15mm set back for fit reasons but I don't want to deal with Darimo.