Trying to identify the source of creaking on my Specialized Venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Perhaps you can swap for an SL7 then and get a threaded BB.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:17 pm
The mechaniv (and he is also the shop owner) suggested that too and started to show me the different colors. But honestly, I prefer the looks of the Venge. He already was like, yeah but it is more light, more stiff and as aero as the venge etc....
So hopefully after tomorrows ride the creaking is gone and I can keep my bike *fingers crossed"
Last edited by Vivo3d on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

I hope you solve it, but like others have said before me this has been a riveting thread! So much effort and so many attempts to solve a creak. I just banged in a Hambini bb to solve my problems, this has all been so much more instructive. Thanks for spending the time to talk us all through it - and enjoy your ride tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Now that you know it's the BB, personally, I would order a one piece (Hambini or BBinifinite) and try that before dealing with a warranty claim...and have to wait 6 months for a new frame.

It sucks that you have to thrown more money at it, but I couldn't go that long without a bike. And given the current gloabal situation/shipping disaster, I'd be very surprised if new frame/bike shippments actually arrive on time.

Did you apply any retaining compound when installing the BB?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Vivo3d wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:40 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
The mechanis (and he is also the shop owner) suggested that too and started to show me the different colors. But honestly, I prefer the looks of the Venge. He already was like, yeah but it is more light, more stiff and as aero as the venge etc....
So hopefully after tomorrows ride the creaking is gone and I can keep my bike *fingers crossed"
I don't think it's as stiff and it's not as aero either.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

HenHarrier wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:49 pm
I hope you solve it, but like others have said before me this has been a riveting thread! So much effort and so many attempts to solve a creak. I just banged in a Hambini bb to solve my problems, this has all been so much more instructive. Thanks for spending the time to talk us all through it - and enjoy your ride tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks, I hope it will creak-free! Unfortunately I love bikes and I love them running as silent and smooth as possible. If there is a creak it means there is an issue. So I try to solve it :D. And it is not like I didn't learn from you guys too - that is why I asked for suggestions.
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:50 pm
Now that you know it's the BB, personally, I would order a one piece (Hambini or BBinifinite) and try that before dealing with a warranty claim...and have to wait 6 months for a new frame.

It sucks that you have to thrown more money at it, but I couldn't go that long without a bike. And given the current gloabal situation/shipping disaster, I'd be very surprised if new frame/bike shippments actually arrive on time.

Did you apply any retaining compound when installing the BB?
According to the mechanic it is the frame - he suggested that it could be coming from the black insert and the frame. Is that is the issue, then also a one piece bb will not solve the problem
Well, I did put enough creak freak assembly paste on the bb and on the frame. Also greased the thread as per indication from ceramicspeed.
Luckly it isn't my only bike so that isn't a big problem. But I would hate to have to ride a creaking bike. Like MrCurrieinahurry said, I only want to hear the noise of pain or creaking from other bikes.
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:51 pm
Vivo3d wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:40 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
The mechanis (and he is also the shop owner) suggested that too and started to show me the different colors. But honestly, I prefer the looks of the Venge. He already was like, yeah but it is more light, more stiff and as aero as the venge etc....
I don't think it's as stiff and it's not as aero either.
That is what he told me. I hav no idea because I didn't really follow the presentation/first reviews of th SL7......was too busy finding the issue on my bike :noidea:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Good luck to you and I hope it'll be sorted. I can't stand a creaky bike either.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Vivo3d wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 pm
According to the mechanic it is the frame - he suggested that it could be coming from the black insert and the frame. Is that is the issue, then also a one piece bb will not solve the problem
Well, I did put enough creak freak assembly paste on the bb and on the frame. Also greased the thread as per indication from ceramicspeed.
Luckly it isn't my only bike so that isn't a big problem. But I would hate to have to ride a creaking bike. Like MrCurrieinahurry said, I only want to hear the noise of pain or creaking from other bikes.
That does make sense...I'm guessing that the inset and/or frame were out of spec enough to cause issues with bonding, which would cause creaking (I don't have first-hand experince with Specialized BB's so I don't know their exact method). In theroy, a one peice BB would distribute the load evenly accross the enitre shell, so it should lessen the chance for creaking...but yah, I wouldn't take that chance. I absoultely despise any kind of noise/creaking coming from bike, as well, so if Specialized is willing to warranty it, then I say that that is the best route.

Then Creak Freak is, more-or-less, just a normal grease, while a retaining compound will actually fill voids, which lesses the chance for creaking. If you do decide to go ahead with another BB, or what to remove/reinstall your current one, I recommend using Loctie 609 or 641. Or BBinifinte provides you with their compound.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Well you can see why they have gone back to threaded.

They did a terrible job with their press-fit over the last decade.

Even the standard bb30 was a bit ropey and don't get me started on the pre 2015 OSBB on the S-Works models!!!

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

Yesterday, I did put all the weight on the non drive side while holding the bike in angle - and I could hear the same creaking as in the shop. So I did the drive side and it creaked louder and three times and I said to myself "OK?!". I did the non drive side and no creaking. Did the drive side again, no creaking. Repeated both sides and still no creaking. So I thought "Is it solved now?". Today I went for the agreed ride to see if what we did yesterday and a long ride to allow everything to seat would solve the problem. So I start in a high gear - no creaking. I sprint at the lights, no creaking. Low cadence and high wattage - no creaking. Yes, it is solved! I'm in the city with bussy roads and try to pushi it hard - hmm, was that a creak or was it the traffic. Push hard at the next light, no creaking. Finally I reach a famous cycle path that goes through a forest. So not much noise and plenty space to really push hard, sprint, climb a little hill - and there is the creaking again. Loud as before. The more I rode the bike hard, the more it started to creak again. Called the shop - "come by and I will open a case with Specialized". So let's see what's happening. Usually it takes about 10 days before Specialized answers on a case.
I told him about the Specialized Elite shop and how useless the mechanic and owner were and that "that's how it is and you will have to live with it. It is normal for a carbon frame" to which he said "wait, didn't you know that this color scheme is the creaking edition?" :lol:
At least I found a good bike mechanic that doesn't screw you over.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

OK well at least it sounds like you have found someone decent now to help out. Was a nice ride though?

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:28 am
OK well at least it sounds like you have found someone decent now to help out. Was a nice ride though?

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk
Yeah, the other day, everything he did it was for free. Didn't charge me whatsoever.

Yeah, it was nice. Not alps, northern Italy or Wales nice.

Visus

by Visus

which bearings are installed? By any chance the included ceramic speed ones? In my case the ID of these was horribly out of spec (it was too small to insert a 30mm axle!)

Maybe your bearings OD is on the small side?
This could be solved with a new set of correctly specced bearings (I recommend NTN LLB Bearings, better performing than ceramic speed ones)

Another possibility is that the bearing seat in the shell is on the large side. This can be solved by Loctite Primer 7649 followed by Loctite 641 which can gap up to 0.2mm. Loctite 609 would be even stronger.
A less strong but still secure fit if tolerance are ok would be Wakos Brake Protector.

A disalignement is unlikely as the venge has a shell going through the frame and connecting both sides.

Another point of creaking could be an undersized axle or adaptor (30->24)

Only if all these contact points have been verified I would assume the possibility of the shell-frame bonding gone bad

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

Visus wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:57 am
which bearings are installed? By any chance the included ceramic speed ones? In my case the ID of these was horribly out of spec (it was too small to insert a 30mm axle!)

Maybe your bearings OD is on the small side?
This could be solved with a new set of correctly specced bearings (I recommend NTN LLB Bearings, better performing than ceramic speed ones)

Another possibility is that the bearing seat in the shell is on the large side. This can be solved by Loctite Primer 7649 followed by Loctite 641 which can gap up to 0.2mm. Loctite 609 would be even stronger.
A less strong but still secure fit if tolerance are ok would be Wakos Brake Protector.

A disalignement is unlikely as the venge has a shell going through the frame and connecting both sides.

Another point of creaking could be an undersized axle or adaptor (30->24)

Only if all these contact points have been verified I would assume the possibility of the shell-frame bonding gone bad
Nope, not the original bearings that came with the frame. It is the ceramicspeed BB30 to DUB thread-togheter bottom bracket. So the alignment is fine and the DUB axle is fine as well. There is no play, nice tight fit and no adpators. Also no side to side movement in the crank because of the preload ring set up correctly.
Seen the creaking always changes from left to right when putting load on the crank (so it never creaks only on one side or twice on one side without putting first load on the opposite site), the mechanic decided to open a case with Specialized. It's not like that I didn't try everything before including replacing the BB. And when the mechanic says he is not comfortable to put even more load on the bottom bracket thread and risk to damage the frame, I believe him.

Visus

by Visus

Maybe the thread together BB outside is undersized, maybe the the Bearings inside the thread-together BB move and creak, maybe your DUB axle is out of spec (SRAM is not really consistent with manufacturing).

If I were your mechanic I would just install simple 6806 bearings and borrow you a BB30 crank. Just tightening down the BB won't solve the problem. There's a high chance this would solve it and then you wouldn't have to wait until january.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com