Ridley Noah Fast experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Cycomanic wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:43 pm
In this months tour there was a test with the test of Petersen and that one had 216W (but they said it lost out on some aero gains). In 10/2019 they had a Madone SL6 at 2017W, but in March 2019 the SLR 9 had 212W also the Aeroad CF SL7 in that test had only 212W compared to 208W for the CF SLX Disc 9.0 in this months tour. Goes to show that much probably depends on the wheels.

We can also see that discs are less aero compared to rim bikes, pretty much all newer versions of a bike (using discs) are less aero than the older rim versions, although we would have expected there to be further optimisations.

The other thing that sticks out how much better the SystemSix is compared to all the other disc bikes (with the exception of the Cervelo S5 maybe). Again though this could be wheels, IIRC the knot wheels are 64mm, while pretty much all the others just have 50mm max.
I believe the Tour testing listed above were all on Zipp 404s, to even the playing field.

It's always funny, the old Fuji Transonic tested the same as the Cervelo S5, but never gets listed with the "fast" bikes. I'm curious to see some testing of the new Transonic, since it's supposedly more aero than the old one, and now has discs. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Cycomanic wrote:
In this months tour there was a test with the test of Petersen and that one had 216W (but they said it lost out on some aero gains). In 10/2019 they had a Madone SL6 at 2017W, but in March 2019 the SLR 9 had 212W also the Aeroad CF SL7 in that test had only 212W compared to 208W for the CF SLX Disc 9.0 in this months tour. Goes to show that much probably depends on the wheels.

We can also see that discs are less aero compared to rim bikes, pretty much all newer versions of a bike (using discs) are less aero than the older rim versions, although we would have expected there to be further optimisations.

The other thing that sticks out how much better the SystemSix is compared to all the other disc bikes (with the exception of the Cervelo S5 maybe). Again though this could be wheels, IIRC the knot wheels are 64mm, while pretty much all the others just have 50mm max.
I believe the Tour testing listed above were all on Zipp 404s, to even the playing field.

It's always funny, the old Fuji Transonic tested the same as the Cervelo S5, but never gets listed with the "fast" bikes. I'm curious to see some testing of the new Transonic, since it's supposedly more aero than the old one, and now has discs. :thumbup:
Normally Tour only mentions the Zipp 404 scores on the side (although recently they have done this less), so unless sigma made the table specifically from pulling the zipp values from the text I doubt it would be the scores with the Zipps (the score of the Ridley is definitely with their wheelset). Regarding the Transonic, they tested it in last months Tour, with their Oval 950 wheels it comes to 221W and with the Zipps it gets down to 216W so still quite a way from the other bikes.

But I've been a bit more doubtful about the Tour tests recently, for one Hambini in his critique of laminar flow windtunnel tests definitely has a point, but also I've found that some of the things they were writing was quite uncritical and I wonder how "impartial" they really are.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Cycomanic wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:43 pm
Normally Tour only mentions the Zipp 404 scores on the side (although recently they have done this less), so unless sigma made the table specifically from pulling the zipp values from the text I doubt it would be the scores with the Zipps (the score of the Ridley is definitely with their wheelset). Regarding the Transonic, they tested it in last months Tour, with their Oval 950 wheels it comes to 221W and with the Zipps it gets down to 216W so still quite a way from the other bikes.

But I've been a bit more doubtful about the Tour tests recently, for one Hambini in his critique of laminar flow windtunnel tests definitely has a point, but also I've found that some of the things they were writing was quite uncritical and I wonder how "impartial" they really are.
That's interesting, since the previous Transonic tested right with the S5, and the new Transonic is supposed to be more than a minute faster than the old one over 40km, but then to test 11-16w slower, odd.

kgt

by kgt

Cycomanic wrote:
You are right to be doubtful. These tests have very little to do with real world conditions.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Tour just tested the tarmac sl7 at 210w where the system 6 is 203w. Youre right to be doubtful.

sigma

by sigma

Cycomanic wrote:
rides4beer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Cycomanic wrote:

I pulled this off an old ww thread as I cannot translate the German (and it's an image so google translator did not work):
All tested at 45kph on Zipp 404s:
2019 Cannondale SystemSix Disc - 203w
2016 Trek Madone - 204w
2016 Specialized Venge ViAS - 204w
2016 Cervelo S5 - 205w
2016 Felt AR FRD - 205w
2019 Cervelo S5 Disc - 206w
2016 Canyon Aeroad - 208w
2019 Specialized Venge Disc - 208w
2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL - 210w
2016 Scott Foil Premium - 211w
2016 BMC Time Machine - 211w
2016 Look 795 - 212w
2019 Trek Madone Disc - 212w
2019 Ridley Noah Fast Disc - 213w

Interestingly, Tour somewhat declared the Ridley the winner based on value, comfort, weight, and close enough aero performance. Interesting that the 2019 venge is not in here which is probably as light (but certainly not cheap).
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Just had mine built about two weeks ago. Went with the Pureline Custom Paint option, Campy SR EPS 12 Speed disc with Bora WTO 60 DB.

My previous bike was a Cipollini RB1K The One. Only reason I let the Cipollini go was due to lack of disc brakes.

I've ridden the bike a few times and my initial thoughts are its stiff, equal to the Cipo, more comfortable, responsive and feels very planted. The Cipo felt more lively but the Ridley Inpires more confidence when riding it. Coming from a rim setup to disc, the weight will be something you notice right away. Usually I'm a size M in bikes but Ridley runs big so I went for a small.

Total weight with pedals and bottle cages is 8.3kg. The WTO wheels aren't going to win the lightest wheel awards, but more than happy with their performance so far. Overall the bike is defintely not for the weightweenie crowd but the bike is designed for speed and for that it delivers.

seamaster76

by seamaster76

Got my Noah fast last week, currently waiting for wheels (Farsport) and Campagnolo SR 12v Disc.

I'll update this post once first ride will be done. :beerchug:

P.S. my previous bike was a Colnago Concept

jackie

by jackie

seamaster76 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:59 am
Got my Noah fast last week, currently waiting for wheels (Farsport) and Campagnolo SR 12v Disc.

i have my Noah fast disc with Shimano Di2 Ultegra with Farsport Carbon Ti build. at about 7.45kg.
including Rotor 2inpower

seamaster76

by seamaster76

jackie wrote:
seamaster76 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:59 am

i have my Noah fast disc with Shimano Di2 Ultegra with Farsport Carbon Ti build. at about 7.45kg.
including Rotor 2inpower
Great!

How do you feel the ride, does it climbs well on steep ascent?

Could you gently share some pictures?

Thanks

jackie

by jackie

IMG_8835.JPG
IMG_8715.JPG
i think ride great. i brought it along when i was in taiwan last year and rode some of the mountain in taipei.. its alot better than the 2015 noah fast and the older gen noah. it def not a climber bike but hold it own well. i have the helium slx and helium slx disc.. and took them up the same climb before.. u can feel the diff when u going up and wish that the noah is lighter...

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

bike looks great though. i think aesthetically it's really underrated. maybe if they did more OTS gloss colorways it'd pop more.

how's that seatpost? is there excessive flex? is it noticeably stiffer than a 27.2?

seamaster76

by seamaster76

jackie wrote:
IMG_8835.JPG
IMG_8715.JPG
i think ride great. i brought it along when i was in taiwan last year and rode some of the mountain in taipei.. its alot better than the 2015 noah fast and the older gen noah. it def not a climber bike but hold it own well. i have the helium slx and helium slx disc.. and took them up the same climb before.. u can feel the diff when u going up and wish that the noah is lighter...
Thanks, your bike is stunning! same color of mine.

jackie

by jackie

FactoryMatt wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm
bike looks great though. i think aesthetically it's really underrated. maybe if they did more OTS gloss colorways it'd pop more.

how's that seatpost? is there excessive flex? is it noticeably stiffer than a 27.2?
seem stiffer / feel stiffer.. overall, i like the feel of the noah fast 2019 better than my Noah fast 2015. that 2015 model was tough on my body.
if i could make it lighter, it would be my go to bike but i wasnt able .. that why i got the helium SLX disc, which i have it at about btw 6.6 to 6.8k depending on the tyres i am using.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com