My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Xabi wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:07 pm

Do you clean the excess wax for a reason?

With hot melt wax I leave the wax cool down a little bit more before pulling it out with my MTB/gravel chains so excess wax covers the chains more, and they get more protected against humidity/rust. I use road chains with less excess wax.

I wipe the excess wax to prevent additional buildup. After backpedaling several times, the wax has gotten where it needs to go. Wax sitting on the external surfaces is not going to magically migrate under the rollers when no further action is taken.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kerio

by kerio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:15 pm

I ride up to 180mi per application. Immediately after that last ride, I wipe the chain thoroughly with a rag and reapply one drop per roller at the top of the chain-path while in big*second-biggest. Then I backpedal 2-3x. Then I wipe away the excess on the exterior with a rag and let the lube dry overnight.

I don’t do anything else to my drivetrain really.
Perfect, thanks! Do you mind explaining why it's at the top of the chain path, though?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kerio wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:07 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:15 pm

I ride up to 180mi per application. Immediately after that last ride, I wipe the chain thoroughly with a rag and reapply one drop per roller at the top of the chain-path while in big*second-biggest. Then I backpedal 2-3x. Then I wipe away the excess on the exterior with a rag and let the lube dry overnight.

I don’t do anything else to my drivetrain really.
Perfect, thanks! Do you mind explaining why it's at the top of the chain path, though?

Because when you backpedal the chain over the cog, that's where the most lateral articulation occurs in the chain, helping the lube to penetrate under the rollers.

charirider

by charirider

Decided to give an original UFO Drip a chance.
After using current chain for 2 years with Squirt (XTR CN-M9100 initially degreased of course), cleaned it 3 times through chain cleaner filled with alcohol and wiped it with muc-off cloth. Thoroughly cleaned chainring, pullyes and cassette as well.
Application:
Indeed, at temperature above 25 degree celcius, original UFO Drip is very thin and transparent, almost like water. I coated chain for 2 full revolutions until it was dripping. I was surprised that some black gunk was flushed from inside of chain links to the outside, dispite chain looking perfectly clean before application.
I left it dry for 24h and it looked less dirty than just after application, but I wiped outside of chain and chaingring/pulleys anyway. Still chain looked a little bit more dirty than after similar application of Squirt.
Impression:
Rode 100km today in dry and quite dusty conditions, and surprisingly, chain became cleaner (shed flakes of wax containing dirt by itself?) and what's more important, chainring, pulleys and cassette looks MUCH more cleaner than with Squirt after riding the same route.
All in all, very happy with result and will continue to use this orininal formula UFO Drip until this bottle ends, and then will buy new formula one. People here say that it is even better and easier to apply.
IMG_7531.jpeg
IMG_7536.jpeg
Last edited by charirider on Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

https://youtu.be/BelnkR7djXk?si=P94KJ5xWNT7USqtC

Candle wax test by ZFC finally done
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

MagicShite

by MagicShite

I don't understand using candle wax to begin with when high purity paraffin wax is so common everywhere and used in the cosmetics DIY industry (ask your female friends)

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I'm thinking about converting to wax, not yet sure about immersive wax or drip. But my question is: do all you wax-enthousiasts adhere strictly to the manufacturers instructions when it comes to re-using quick links?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Sjoerd wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:01 pm
I'm thinking about converting to wax, not yet sure about immersive wax or drip. But my question is: do all you wax-enthousiasts adhere strictly to the manufacturers instructions when it comes to re-using quick links?
I don't imagine most do. I get quite a number of uses out of the single use Shimano links.

Use them until they are no longer tough to close. When they get too loose, toss them.

Guenther

by Guenther

Sjoerd wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:01 pm
do all you wax-enthousiasts adhere strictly to the manufacturers instructions when it comes to re-using quick links?
Nope. I use both KMC reusable links and Shimano non-reusable quick links.
Shimano quick-links take a bit more effort than KMC the first time you use them, after that it becomes a bit easier.
However, they still close with a decent click, so I guess it is allright.

kytyree

by kytyree

I know those that have been immersive waxing for a while are aware of this but for those just getting into it I’ll add a note of caution about closing the links. Even if you don’t immersive wax the quick links they can be tough to close due to the wax on the chain, so there’s a difference between a proper tight fitting link and one that’s tough to close because the surfaces are temporarily covered in wax.

That said I reuse the reusable links that I have per their instructions and for others that say they are single use I get that 1 use from them and move on.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I wonder how many people wax their quicklinks?

I know that Silca advises against it, precisely to ensure that they go together without issue. MSW, otoh, does advise waxing the quick link.

kytyree

by kytyree

I don’t, though I think I did at first. You end up removing most of it, imho. I’ve been known to put a bit of drip on the link afterward but I don’t always and I don’t think it’s a noticeable difference day to day.

The inner plates on the either end of the chain end up with plenty of wax on them though adding to the width. Though I don’t wipe the chain, as I know some do, and that would help with that.

MikeD

by MikeD

I wax my quicklinks. No bigge.

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

I wax them too. When assembling the chain I insert the quick-links, wiggle them around some, remove and repeat that couple of times to remove any excess wax. I've never had an issue with assembling them. It's pretty easy to tell when the pins drop into the slots while holding the links when assembling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 208

MagicShite wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:00 am
I don't understand using candle wax to begin with when high purity paraffin wax is so common everywhere and used in the cosmetics DIY industry (ask your female friends)
I'm assuming he's gone for the shittest candle wax he can find to put off and DIYers.