Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

why can't trek design proper spacer to give it a stem/spacer stack a seamless finish like every other brand can do ...
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

johanalexander

by johanalexander

spartan wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:17 pm
why can't trek design proper spacer to give it a stem/spacer stack a seamless finish like every other brand can do ...
I agree. The spacers are the worst looking part of the bike. Would love to slam my spacers away, but there's also fit to consider. I have not seen any aftermarket spacers for this bike either.
Eating trash'n riding fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

johanalexander wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:21 pm
spartan wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:17 pm
I agree. The spacers are the worst looking part of the bike. Would love to slam my spacers away, but there's also fit to consider. I have not seen any aftermarket spacers for this bike either.
There aren't any unfortunately. I contacted at least half a dozen of 3D designers that make bike parts if they could make something that would go around the existing spacers, so nothing structural, purely cosmetic to hide this, but no luck. Some time ago I posted a photo of the Emonda with Madone's intergrated cockpit, it looks clean but to the best of my knowledge that cockpit is difficult to come by aftermarket and it's porky. I can't find the photo/video right now but that seems to be the only solution.

Ryu86

by Ryu86

Has anyone noticed their aeolus rsl integrated bars being wonky? It's where the stem goes into the bars, looks thicker on 1 side and right bar looks narrower than left. I took delivery of emonda slr7 a while back and noticed it immediately. It went into the shop, trek sent out replacement bars to swap over and....they're exactly the same. I think it's just cosmetic rather than structural but is doing my head in for the money spent.
20210606_210949.jpg

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Is there any way to use a carbon rail saddle on this bike without the 7x9 ears? I just got a Berk saddle for my SL5 which has the crappy seat mast and the 7x9 ears aren't for sale anywhere on this planet. How do they not include all the hardware for use with different saddles?? Is there any way, or am I screwed until I can get the 7x9 guts?

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Ryu86 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:05 pm
Has anyone noticed their aeolus rsl integrated bars being wonky? It's where the stem goes into the bars, looks thicker on 1 side and right bar looks narrower than left. I took delivery of emonda slr7 a while back and noticed it immediately. It went into the shop, trek sent out replacement bars to swap over and....they're exactly the same. I think it's just cosmetic rather than structural but is doing my head in for the money spent.
20210606_210949.jpg
Did you measure it at different spots? To me, it just looks like the lighting is creating a weird perspective but they look equal and even. I don't see anything odd.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

jencvo

by jencvo

drainyoo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:49 pm
Is there any way to use a carbon rail saddle on this bike without the 7x9 ears? I just got a Berk saddle for my SL5 which has the crappy seat mast and the 7x9 ears aren't for sale anywhere on this planet. How do they not include all the hardware for use with different saddles?? Is there any way, or am I screwed until I can get the 7x9 guts?
With some saddles you can pull off 7x10 rails with some tape but I wouldn't try that with Berk saddles given how fragile they are. If you're in the States, check Trek's website, it lists local shops inventory.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

jencvo wrote:
drainyoo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:49 pm
With some saddles you can pull off 7x10 rails with some tape but I wouldn't try that with Berk saddles given how fragile they are. If you're in the States, check Trek's website, it lists local shops inventory.
I’ve been doing that. Treks inventory for local shops is a disaster. It shows a few shops with them in stock but I call and they don’t have them.

nekokatsu

by nekokatsu

Hi, this is my first post, so hope that I'm not breaking any rules right away.. :D

I just found out yesterday, that the expander/compression plug on my SL6 is very short and the steerer tube shape might not allow for standard-round expander plugs. I'm not ready to cut my steerer tube just yet - want to try lower/higher positions. Does Trek sell longer plugs compatible with new Emonda steerer tube? Or am I getting sth wrong, and standard plugs will fit right in?
Attachments
sl6_steerer_01.jpg
sl6_steerer_02.jpg

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

nekokatsu wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:25 am
Hi, this is my first post, so hope that I'm not breaking any rules right away.. :D

I just found out yesterday, that the expander/compression plug on my SL6 is very short and the steerer tube shape might not allow for standard-round expander plugs. I'm not ready to cut my steerer tube just yet - want to try lower/higher positions. Does Trek sell longer plugs compatible with new Emonda steerer tube? Or am I getting sth wrong, and standard plugs will fit right in?
The compression plug is just a single size, there are no alternatives. However, if you are just trying to try a lower stem, just add standard round spacers above the stem.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

nekokatsu

by nekokatsu

MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 pm
nekokatsu wrote:

The compression plug is just a single size, there are no alternatives. However, if you are just trying to try a lower stem, just add standard round spacers above the stem.
Thank you, I'll do that, however it doesn't seem to be a safe solution for long. Extender is very short, so tightening stem well below level of the extender plug shouldn't stay forever I guess.. :D
Attachments
sl6_steerer_03.jpg

drainyoo

by drainyoo

nekokatsu wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:47 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 pm
nekokatsu wrote:

Thank you, I'll do that, however it doesn't seem to be a safe solution for long. Extender is very short, so tightening stem well below level of the extender plug shouldn't stay forever I guess.. :D
Keep in mind that you need to have 5mm space ABOVE the compression plug to pre-load it. The plug sits flush with the top of the steerer tube, and from the top of the plug you need at least 5mm of space to rest the top cap onto.

boots2000

by boots2000

I finally recieved my Wahoo Kickr adapter parts to fit a 2021 Emonda- I had been waiting since Jan/Feb.

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

boots2000 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm
I finally recieved my Wahoo Kickr adapter parts to fit a 2021 Emonda- I had been waiting since Jan/Feb.
Could you share some photos of these?
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

MitchatTrek wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 am
boots2000 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm
Could you share some photos of these?
Received mine today too!

Here are some photos on Trainerroad's forum of adapters and the bike mounted: https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/wah ... /41751/173