ciamillo lekki 8 brakes Thoughts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EWA
in the industry

by EWA

Butcher wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:26 pm
How do you know that he contacted everyone and made them whole? Is that what he said?

There seems to be a lot of people here that seems to be left out of that list.

Either way, buyer beware.
There is no one left out of the list that we know of. Ted compensated everyone that suffered from the recession setback and not a single set of Lekki8s sold on our site went past 24 hours to ship since they became available. 18 months of solid service on a great product. So please show me anyone who was left out. We have not had a single complaint regarding the Lekki8s or unresolved past issues for over a year. We have had nothing but shining reviews on the Lekki8s - and no, the AX/THM are not lighter - The Lekki8s are the lightest in the world and the lightest ever made.

C36

by C36

Nefarious86 wrote:Even so, I wouldn't give him money on principle when there are proven competitors products available.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I don’t think it’s at all the question asked by OP. I understand the bitter taste but boy water passed under the bridges since then. Honesty would be that you also pointed toward the previous post where they explain in great detail what they did to recover. Very little business that face issues attempt to compensate. Don’t buy from him, but from trusted shops with stock, seems a reasonable precaution.

Now, as the OP, I am interested in their performance :)
Last edited by C36 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattsurf

by mattsurf

With around 400km on my Ciamillo Lekki 8 brakes I wanted to provide an update on my first impressions

4 rides around 100km each
Terrain, Swiss mountains, max elevation 1100m (3500ft), biggest climb/descent 550m (1750ft)
Weather, -3 to +5 degrees C, 1 sunny, 1 wet and 2 mixed / foggy rides
Tires, Pirelli PZero TT 23mm
Wheel Schmolke TLO 45mm
Pads: Corima
Cables, Jagwire Road Link Elite
Cyclist, Male, 72kg (158lbs)

I’m a big fan of disc brakes, especially in the cold and wet, and especially with carbon rims. However, I am also pretty experienced riding rim brakes, and have owned bikes with Shimano DA and Ultegra, Campag Record and Chorus and SRAM Red.

Setup:
I approached setting up these brakes with some trepidation, however, I received an email from Ted Ciamillo, with some advice how to set the brakes up correctly (Great service Ted). Maybe I was lucky, but got the setup 80% out of the box, and a slight adjustment following a short shake down ride and I was happy.

Performance
In the wet, rim brakes and Carbon wheels are never going to be great. However, the performance is surprisingly good. My experience with Shimano is a very poor initial bite, then a pretty fierce braking performance as soon as the pads had dried the rims, this often leads to locking the rear wheel in the wet. On the Lekki 8, just like the shimano, initial bite is almost non-existent, which can be a bit disconcerting, however, as soon as the rim is dry (possibly 0.5s) there is a nice even and progressive braking performance. Probably lacks the ultimate power of Shimano DA, and in a brake test, I suspect that the DA would stop a bike faster in the wet, but I prefer the progressive feel of the Lekki 8

In the Dry, the brakes do a perfectly reasonable job to slow the bike, however, you get an odd slightly non linear sensation, initially they don’t feel that powerful, then they progressively feel more powerful then they feel less powerful, however, no problem locking the rear. I am guessing that this sensation is due to the cam. You quickly adapt to the nature of the brakes, and it becomes an observation rather than a concern about performance.

So are these a viable every day set of brakes for a high performance bike – so far I would have no hesitation to say yes. Do I have any hesitation using them on 80kph (50mph) mountain descents? None. Are these brakes up to the job when you are caught out in bad weather? Yes.

The only caveat I have is how they will perform on 2000m (7000ft) 30km (18 mile) descents from Grimsel Pass or Furka Pass, these are descents, with switchbacks, on hot summer days, where disc brakes start to fade, due to heat in the pads, where DA rim brakes make your forearms cramp from constant hard application, and your shoulders and neck ache from the constant jarring and deceleration; that will be the true test of the Lekki 8’s

athey

by athey

EWA wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 pm
Butcher wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:26 pm
How do you know that he contacted everyone and made them whole? Is that what he said?

There seems to be a lot of people here that seems to be left out of that list.

Either way, buyer beware.
There is no one left out of the list that we know of. Ted compensated everyone that suffered from the recession setback and not a single set of Lekki8s sold on our site went past 24 hours to ship since they became available. 18 months of solid service on a great product. So please show me anyone who was left out. We have not had a single complaint regarding the Lekki8s or unresolved past issues for over a year. We have had nothing but shining reviews on the Lekki8s - and no, the AX/THM are not lighter - The Lekki8s are the lightest in the world and the lightest ever made.

Dear Ewa. I was wondering when you were sending the brake sets that were agreed with yourself and Ted ? It's been a long time since you confirmed they would be sent. 30plus emails exchanged relating to our conversations, and at least 11 stating they would be shipped !

As they say a leopard never changes it spots - BUYER BEWARE ... Dishonest - Immoral - and zero business acumen or etiquette !

After 33 year in the industry, these guys are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Keep an eye out for my post that will be coming soon relating to all the emails exchanged and the promises never met.

Amazing products - shame they are so dishonest in business.

eurostar

by eurostar

What is this 'athey' creature, with only 3 posts? Just a troll? I thought Ted got through his rough patch a long time ago.

Maddie

by Maddie

No, the saga still goes on and on and on. June 2021:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166739

athey

by athey

Eurostar - unfortunately as stated above a leopard never changes it's spots. I'm not one for posting negativity about companies or individuals, however in this instance I feel it necessary to make people aware of the conduct in which this business is run.

Nothing more nothing less - just one persons view from a personal experience on a company taking monies and not delivering the goods !

eurostar

by eurostar

Sorry I doubted you, you're dead right. I hadn't read enough about Ted's recent history.