New soft shell travel bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I'll be travelling a lot more in the next year and want to get a travel bag for my bike rather than renting bicycles of unknown provenance at location. I've given this forum a good read and it seems that many are concerned with bicycle baggage fees when it comes to their bike bags which sways the pros/cons evaluation. Luckily (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) most of my flying will be with AA which has bicycle bags as part of their checked luggage policy.

If we are looking at soft shell bags, which ones from the current crop are the ones to go for? The ones that have caught my eye are the Pika and Evoc Pro bag, with the relative incognito factor of the Pika being appealing but the wheels on the Evoc probably being important for the various hauls through parking lots. I'll be flying with my Moots so not all that worried about the frame, but the safety of the carbon wheels is something I am concerned about. A hardshell I've been warned against by my LBS that they see more damage from lazy TSA repacking jobs than with soft bags.

Appreciate your insights into this!

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Go with Pika. The lightness and compact form factor are a huge win - not just for getting your bike to the plane, but when you then need to pack away your bike with other luggage into a rental.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

I have owned both soft and hard shells- I disagree with the ridiculous comment from your LBS. Soft shells like Evoc and Scicon do not provide much protection, especially when the bag is thrown onto its side and other bags thrown on top of it. I have friends who have borrowed these bags from me and have experienced damaged components (packed correctly). I have never used the Pika but the photos don't indicate much more protection.

I'm currently using the Scicon hard case (aerotech Evo), it's expensive but very good but does not have an internal crush bar. I'm thinking of selling the aerotech and getting an Alan bike box- carbon crush bar and more robust.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

just went to a trip from US to China with 3 connecting flights, B&W bike box https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-acce ... 85499.html worked well, with my 19lb Niner RDO it was still under the 50lb weight limit, the box was very stealthy so no additional fee. Just seeing how the box was thrown into the conveyor belt, I would not trust my $10000 bike with a soft-shell bag. Also do not pack random stuff into the bike box, make it simple, stick to helmet and cycling shoes, leave fluids and sharp tools out. Mine was not opened on both trips.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:36 pm
Go with Pika. The lightness and compact form factor are a huge win - not just for getting your bike to the plane, but when you then need to pack away your bike with other luggage into a rental.
2nd this

I travelled to France using public transportation with this. I didnt know what I was thinking but I did it going up and down the subway stairs of Paris.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I worked two years with a bike tour company (guide/gregario/entertainer/mechanic/food bin/and so on) and I would never travel with a bike without a hard case. The ratio of damaged bikes with clients arriving with soft cases was very high. Broken frames, derailleurs, chainrings, bars, you name it.

We didn't see any damage with clients with hard cases except one Di2 that had it's crash protection activated during travel (I guess they dropped the case), fixed with a hold of a button and another one had a stem bolt that rattled loose during transit and he could never find it (snug loose bolts when you remove bars/stems/seatposts). Depending of your type of travel, the inconvenience is if you need to carry a couple in small rental cars or buses/trains once your bike is built or just if you have limited storage place at your destination... they take more space than soft cases.

Personally I have a Scicon Aerotech, very quick to pack bikes in, it has collected some scars over the years but is still holding up fine and has always carried my bikes safely. The wheels are often the first thing to go but I think they are warrantied for life, mine are still rolling well after a few years.

Regarding how they're handled, I have a friend who used to work loading cargo in planes and he told me to keep the case as light as possible, not filling it up with all your gear. Not because loose stuff can nag on the bike but the heavier it is, the more likely they are to push it, kick it, drop it. If it's big but still quite light, they are more likely to take better care of it when loading and unloading the plane.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Thanks everyone for your replies, appreciate all the inputs - the consensus seems to be to go for the hard case. I'll give bike box Alan a call tomorrow to see how quickly they could send a case over. I always did think the hard case made more sense, and was surprised when the LBS told me otherwise...

commendatore

by commendatore

The trouble with hard cases is that the TSA will open them and not take any care “repacking.” Simple soft cases fare better in this regard. I’ve had no problems with my orucase and haven’t seen any complaints of broken frames using the same.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jadedaid wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 am
Thanks everyone for your replies, appreciate all the inputs - the consensus seems to be to go for the hard case. I'll give bike box Alan a call tomorrow to see how quickly they could send a case over. I always did think the hard case made more sense, and was surprised when the LBS told me otherwise...
The Biknd Helium is a good soft shell option. It's got inflatable bladders on the inside to provide support and protection but still comes in a good few kgs lighter than a hardshell.

zirxo

by zirxo

ChiZ01 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:18 pm
just went to a trip from US to China with 3 connecting flights, B&W bike box https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-acce ... 85499.html worked well, with my 19lb Niner RDO it was still under the 50lb weight limit, the box was very stealthy so no additional fee. Just seeing how the box was thrown into the conveyor belt, I would not trust my $10000 bike with a soft-shell bag. Also do not pack random stuff into the bike box, make it simple, stick to helmet and cycling shoes, leave fluids and sharp tools out. Mine was not opened on both trips.
I got the same bag and it's worked fine for several flights between Sweden and Mallorca. I always pack some tools and bottles with the bike but not much else. The shoes and helmet always goes in the carry on luggage for me. If the bike bag gets lost I can always rent a bike, but I want my shoes if that's the case.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I think soft cases vary greatly in their levels of protection.

I had a Dhb bag first that was built by Scicon and is very much like Scicon aerocomfort. This has a frame at the bottom to which the bike frame gets attached with quick releases, wheels slide into side pockets and top zips up with the bars attached and all that. This has the advantage of very easy packing and unpacking. But the structural and mechanical disadvantage is that there is very little side and top protection, and when the bike is thrown on its side - as it must be as soon as you hand it over at the ariport, the stability of the structure goes out the window. The bottom of the bike is bolted down to something heavy, and made of metal. If thrown at an odd angle, the QRs might come off, and then it all is just rattling inside, with little protection. Happen to me once, resulting in a broken RD hanger, and scratches on the bottom of the chainstays (fortunately just scratches and not worse damage). I have not used this since.

My second case is hard-shell, B&W. Good case, no bike damage suffered, but a HUGE PITA to travel with. Very heavy and unwieldy, wheels do not turn, etc. I suspect it is subjected to pretty harsh treatment by luggage handlers due to these factors as well.

More recently bought Pika. This one has no hard bottom for anything to bolt into. Weights under 5kg - so the whole thing packed with the bike and helmet is less than 13kg. Lighter than many suitcases. The padding goes all around the bike creating a kind of a "frame" for the bag. When I travel, the stem with the bars goes off, seatpost is out, and RD is also taken off. that leaves the frame itself in the centre of a padded envelope, with wheels in side pockets. Is it possible for it to get damaged? Sure. But it won't be because someone handles this incorrectly, as I think it will suvive comfortably any reasonable drop or a fall- there just isn't a "pressure point" there where a very high load will be placed on a vulnerable bike part. But if someone drops a 20kg suitcase on top of it from 2m high, while the bag is on the side - then yes, I think either the bike or the wheel will get damaged. For these unlikely events, I will resort to my employer's travel insurance plan. In any event, so far - no issues.

dmp

by dmp

do a search- this has been discussed at length in previous threads.
I have used hardshell, Pika, and Urocase, the latter being my favorite by far. Travelling overseas at least once a year, I have never had damage. The hard shell case is an enourmous PITA upon arrival, costs $200 each way in airline fees, weighs a ton, is always opened in improperly repacked by TSA, and provides no more protection. The Urocase has been fantastic, and I've yet to have an airline charge- first overseas trip savings paid for the case!

dmp

by dmp

do a search- this has been discussed at length in previous threads.
I have used hardshell, Pika, and Urocase, the latter being my favorite by far. Travelling overseas at least once a year, I have never had damage. The hard shell case is an enourmous PITA upon arrival, costs $200 each way in airline fees, weighs a ton, is always opened in improperly repacked by TSA, and provides no more protection. The Urocase has been fantastic, and I've yet to have an airline charge- first overseas trip savings paid for the case!

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Just to add in this thread: I bought a Biknd before with the inflatable cushions. If I remember correctly I never had to remove my stem, just my RD but this all depends on your bike size. Worked well, but I also ended up selling it like my Pika because I couldn't justify keeping something I'll use once a year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@g32ecs: RE your Bikend case (I have the Helium 4), did you travel internationally with it, and did you find the agents would deflate the air bladders upon inspection (since they are opaque and you can’t see through them), and then not reinflate them? I’m thinking of trying to fashion some pieces of foam to replace these bladders for that reason.
Previously I had a Crateworks Pro XL-C which had taken both my road bikes and full on touring bike to UK, Europe, New Zealand, and points domestically without issue, although it was big and bulky. And I know some will cringe, but I’ve also gone overseas with bike packed in a free cardboard box that bikes get shipped to the dealers in which are always available. This has been ideal for when I’m arriving, and leaving from two places far away from each other. At the end of the trip I just find a bike shop, and get another box for the trip home. So far I’ve been lucky but I travel much less now than I used to.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ