Disc brakes: your greatest dreams, and fears confirmed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:01 am
So buy a rim brake bike today you're simply buying a snapshot of outdated engineering fashion. Your bike is already redundant and there will be integrated front ends very soon, and over the longer term they will change the number of gears to x13 x14 and probably kill off the front DR. If you're OK with buying into an outdated design where your shiny new bike is almost worthless before it comes out of the box and has hard to find parts in a few years because nobody cares about rim brakes, then go ahead.
/s
You need a quiet beer, and to read this. He's talking to you:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/breakin ... ll-shreds/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:25 am

ebay will be their friend... much like building a eroica vintage bike today... it can all be done..... but sometimes not cheaply.

Besides...

What’s going to be outdated on disc-brake bikes in the next few years anyway? 12x100 and 12x142 hubs aren’t going away. Flat-mount is the de facto caliper standard on new road disc frames...meanwhile DM and single-pivot coexist on the rim-brake side. Bunch of FUD as usual.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

My point was simply that integration, 1x, and more gears in the back is going to happen for rim brakes at all. Well, and to shitpost. But mostly to shitpost.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

deleted so I don't get banned. hehe
Last edited by AnkitS on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robertbb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 am
So buy a rim brake bike today you're simply buying a snapshot of outdated engineering fashion. Your bike is already redundant and there will be integrated front ends very soon, and over the longer term they will change the number of gears to x13 x14 and probably kill off the front DR. If you're OK with buying into an outdated design where your shiny new bike is almost worthless before it comes out of the box and has hard to find parts in a few years because nobody cares about rim brakes, then go ahead.
/s
You need a quiet beer, and to read this. He's talking to you:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/breakin ... ll-shreds/

He was regurgitating someone else’s shitpost nearly verbatim to point out its absurdity.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

/s
Sucks when you realize that you haven't chosen the 'winning team' because you bought into disk brakes. Parroting my post does nothing to prove your temporarily in fashion disk brakes and my 'luddite' but somehow weirdly winning nearly everything in 2019 rim brakes are anything other than exactly in the same boat. About to be phased out by years of musical chairs profit-driven standards switch at our expense. If you don't believe me you haven't been paying attention to MTB. It took them 10 years to decide on a new wheel size ffs.

joejack951

by joejack951

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:14 pm
Are there any advantages to change the thru axle size? I figured if most are already using that size, it's less likely another manufacturer deviates from that (looking at you Look bikes)

My mouth is watering for a new bike, but since I'll be comitting to that long term, I dont want it outdated too soon, too quick.
Get ready for RoadBoost™
12x110 Front
12x148 Rear
And then, couple more years down the line the front axle will get a bigger 15mm diameter
=)
Road 15mm thru axle already came and went. My 2016 Hong Fu frameset uses a 15mm front thru axle and 12mm rear. I think many cyclocross frames built around the same time shared the same size as it is a readily available thru axle (15x1.5mm thread and 125mm length).

TheRich

by TheRich

robertbb wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:00 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:58 pm
Perhaps the reason the industry is pushing discs is because their lawyers have told them that they aren't comfortable with the potential law suits regarding overheating and failing carbon clincher brake tracks?

For most of us*, this isn't a problem, but if a newbie goes down Mont Ventoux hard on the brakes the whole way in the summer, then the s**t could well hit the fan.

*especially those of us using tubs!
Tour magazine managed to melt/warp Shimano rotors on an alpine descent torture test while Campagnolo, Zipp and one other brand's carbon rim brake clinchers passed with flying colours.

Just saying.
Permanantly warp?

I've glazed Saint pads on 180mm rotors, leaving the disk discolored...sand the pads, rebed them in and they kept working. Last time I just sprayed them with some water (after they were cooled, obviously), sprinkled some dirt on them and dragged the brakes for a bit and they were back to normal.

That was from riding a hardtail on an enduro stage that was very hardtail unfriendly so I descended like a pensioner because my calves were ON FIRE!

AnkitS

by AnkitS

@lunatic69420
No, you have it all wrong. I am winning because I'm not getting butthurt after some teenage keyboard warrior parroted my post; that loser happens to be you. There is no winning on this thread, or on WW in general.
The cool thing about my disc brake bikes so far is that I sold them for more than what I bought them for, something that you simply can't do with rim brakes anymore. Tells you about what the market values.

#DISCBRAKEDEATHSQUAD

TheRich

by TheRich

joejack951 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 am
Road 15mm thru axle already came and went. My 2016 Hong Fu frameset uses a 15mm front thru axle and 12mm rear. I think many cyclocross frames built around the same time shared the same size as it is a readily available thru axle (15x1.5mm thread and 125mm length).
15mm is the MTB standard, but the axle plays more of a part in stiffening the fork on an MTB than it does a road bike. They may have done that because those hubs were already available....reinforcing the idea to never buy the first generation of anything.

Boost on a road bike wouldn't make much sense because it would end up widening Q-factor, and it's just not as necessary on a road bike that sees less severe loads than a MTB being jumped, suddenly going from slip to grip or that sort of thing.

robertbb

by robertbb

TheRich wrote:
robertbb wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
Perhaps the reason the industry is pushing discs is because their lawyers have told them that they aren't comfortable with the potential law suits regarding overheating and failing carbon clincher brake tracks?

For most of us*, this isn't a problem, but if a newbie goes down Mont Ventoux hard on the brakes the whole way in the summer, then the s**t could well hit the fan.

Tour magazine managed to melt/warp Shimano rotors on an alpine descent torture test while Campagnolo, Zipp and one other brand's carbon rim brake clinchers passed with flying colours.

Just saying.
Permanantly warp?

I've glazed Saint pads on 180mm rotors, leaving the disk discolored...sand the pads, rebed them in and they kept working. Last time I just sprayed them with some water (after they were cooled, obviously), sprinkled some dirt on them and dragged the brakes for a bit and they were back to normal.

That was from riding a hardtail on an enduro stage that was very hardtail unfriendly so I descended like a pensioner because my calves were ON FIRE!
Yes, permanently.

But let's pretend the warp is temporary. How is that a better position?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

12x100 and 12x142 along with flat mount disk are here to stay. They will continue to be the standard for the majority of road bikes for the foreseeable future.
Disk brakes are at least 5 generation old technologyorted over from mountain bikes. There is very little to no weight to loose from them and all of the sub systems are proven.
Road boost will only be one Electric bikes and maybe adventure bikes that need lots of tire clearance.
Ride fast Take chances

TheRich

by TheRich

robertbb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:24 am
TheRich wrote:
robertbb wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:

Just saying.
Permanantly warp?

Yes, permanently.

But let's pretend the warp is temporary. How is that a better position?
Because they straighten out in the few seconds they take to cool?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you melt the aluminum core on IceTech rotors, there’s a simple fix. Don’t buy another set. I’ve been pretty vocal about the practicality and silent vent layout of the SRAM Centerline X rotors.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

^ this. Similar to how some carbon rims have poor breaking, some rotors are just plain bad.
Not something unique to disc brakes before someone makes that argument.