Rapha Quality

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Shrike

by Shrike

Anyone actually owned any PNS stuff and can comment on its durability?

I'm considering their stow away jacket to replace my wrecked Rapha PT Insulated jacket, which last a year only. Zip is destroyed and both seams along both arms came apart.

Just need a light windproof jacket that I can layer under.

This colour is class, the branding on it is an abomination, but considering suffering it for the colour:

https://www.pasnormalstudios.com/commod ... ned-orange

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

i own one set of Rapha bibs, as I wanted to give them a try. Despite wearing them far less frequently, they are falling apart much faster than my Pearl Izumi and my Voler.
Not worth it in my opinion, although I may have gotten a "lemon"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velov

by velov

Shrike wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm considering their stow away jacket to replace my wrecked Rapha PT Insulated jacket, which last a year only. Zip is destroyed and both seams along both arms came apart.

This colour is class, the branding on it is an abomination, but considering suffering it for the colour:

Can't comment on long term durability, I've only had it for a year, but so far it's been pretty good. I got it to replace my Rapha race cape which was like wearing a garbage bag, I used to be soaked on the inside after every ride.

ichobi

by ichobi

I bought the Core bibs and I must say for the price they are really good. Since rapha is making so many lines these days some of them are hit or miss. Some of them are really good in both performance and valie, for example the pro team training jersey. Good price good material good cutting. Some of their lighter offering are just too fragile and too expensive for what you get.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

velov wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:07 am
Shrike wrote:

Can't comment on long term durability, I've only had it for a year, but so far it's been pretty good. I got it to replace my Rapha race cape which was like wearing a garbage bag, I used to be soaked on the inside after every ride.
Oh didn’t realise it could handle a bit of rain. Got caught on a few rides in the Rapha insulated jacket and got soaked last winter. Immediately froze, rides were chilly but nice until I got wet and then it’s agony.. No resistance to rain at all. Another plus for the PNS. Also wondering if I should maybe go for something thicker. I see PNS have another tougher looking jacket in same colour. I tend to prefer lighter and thinner then layer as appropriate but I would love a tough soft shell jacket again. Not sure I’m up for paying £340 for one with that branding all over it though.

Was eyeing up the Rapha race cape too..

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Get an Assos Equipe RS rain jacket and you’ll be fine.

kgt

by kgt

Or just check Santini's sales/factory outlet
Santini Beta Rain for 104 euros:
https://www.santinicycling.com/en/w9-ma ... 6-color-ve
Santini Beta Winter for 126 euros:
https://www.santinicycling.com/en/w9-ma ... /3-size-xs
Santini Vega for 150 euros:
Last edited by kgt on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

853guy

by 853guy

Shrike wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:06 am
velov wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:07 am
Shrike wrote:

Oh didn’t realise it could handle a bit of rain. Got caught on a few rides in the Rapha insulated jacket and got soaked last winter. Immediately froze, rides were chilly but nice until I got wet and then it’s agony.. No resistance to rain at all. Another plus for the PNS. Also wondering if I should maybe go for something thicker. I see PNS have another tougher looking jacket in same colour. I tend to prefer lighter and thinner then layer as appropriate but I would love a tough soft shell jacket again. Not sure I’m up for paying £340 for one with that branding all over it though.

Was eyeing up the Rapha race cape too..
I bought the PNS Shield Jacket in red (though it appears that color has been discontinued). Fit is quite tight in the shoulders for me, but only noticable off the bike. Excellent water repellency, excellent moisture management, extremely wind-proof, quite light, very good construction and durability (so far). Probably one of the best pieces of cycling clothing (fit, finish, functionality) I own.

With a merino/polyester/polyamide Cafe du Cycliste jersey and a merino base-layer underneath, I can ride all winter (albeit in Provence), and stay warm without being hot, and dry without being sweaty.

Having never had the desire to own Rapha, I can't compare, but will say that my personal experience of the quality of PNS and Cafe du Cycliste is equivalient to that of Assos. Aesthetics being what they are, I personally prefer PNS and CDS to most other cycling brands, but understand many will not.

853guy

Stueys

by Stueys

I’ve a Rapha Race Cape, fits well and stayed waterproof through a torrential day of rain in the Pyrenees. It’s quite thick though, not that breathable and doesn’t pack down that well.

I’ve also got a 7mesh Oro, which is made of the Gore active shakedry material. I can only recommend that, highly breathable, completely waterproof and packs down very tightly. I would highly recommend getting something from the Goretex material, it’s the closest thing yet to the utopia of waterproof, breathable and light.

Shrike

by Shrike

kgt wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 pm
Or just check Santini's sales/factory outlet
Santini Beta Rain for 104 euros:
Santini Beta Winter for 126 euros:
https://www.santinicycling.com/en/w9-ma ... /3-size-xs
Santini Vega for 150 euros:
Colours are a bit dark for what I'm after, but their prices are great. Was also looking to replace my summery stuff and saw this kit, think it's Santini Scatto. Might grab these on sale now. Was after blue kit this summer but didn't get round to it.

https://magazine.deporvillage.it/recens ... ni-scatto/

@853 forgot about CDS, going for a look now :)

@ Stueys I don't intentionally ride in the rain often, but hate it when I get caught. I've also moved from Edinburgh to London so maybe winter now won't be so harsh. Not sure if the Race Cape would be overkill. Does look bombproof though, can't imagine wind or anything getting through it. Usually I prefer soft shells for active kit, or really light layers, but even really thin wind layers can be a nightmare. I've got some ultra light Patagonia Houdini running shell that gets totally covered in sweat.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Best winter jacket I ever had is Sportful’s Fiandre Extreme

Stueys

by Stueys

Shrike wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 am

@ Stueys I don't intentionally ride in the rain often, but hate it when I get caught. I've also moved from Edinburgh to London so maybe winter now won't be so harsh. Not sure if the Race Cape would be overkill. Does look bombproof though, can't imagine wind or anything getting through it. Usually I prefer soft shells for active kit, or really light layers, but even really thin wind layers can be a nightmare. I've got some ultra light Patagonia Houdini running shell that gets totally covered in sweat.
I’m also London way. Race cape is nice and fits well but it depends on the use case.

I’ve found myself gravitating towards gabba gear in winter (quite often with the Rapha insulated gillet on top which is an awesome piece) and in summer type conditions I run the Oro jacket as light weight wind/rain protection (it comes into it’s own on the mountain summer trip). Unless it’s lashing down I trade breathability for full on waterproofing, the race cape does well on waterproofing but isn’t that breathable.

Js2

by Js2

Pas normal color palette is really nice imo. But that big ass text really ruins it... I ain't paid to be a moving billboard. Assos please adopt better colors for the jerseys and stick with minimal branding :mrgreen:

I just got a clearance race cape for good discount, it's the 1 way zipper model. Hope it holds up fine, will be using it this winter season

zmjones

by zmjones

XCProMD wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pm
yea because it is neoshell which is great. i really wish i could get the ornot magic shell but it has been out of stock forever. it is the newer, thinner, more packable version of neoshell.

robertbb

by robertbb

zmjones wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:58 am
XCProMD wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pm
yea because it is neoshell which is great. i really wish i could get the ornot magic shell but it has been out of stock forever. it is the newer, thinner, more packable version of neoshell.
I have a fiandre extreme in size M, brand new. Fluo yellow. Never wore it. If either of you are interested in making me an offer PM me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com